SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener recommendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener recommendations Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Had a Liftmaster 8500 installed earlier this summer to replace a Liftmaster belt drive that I had put in to replace a worn out 20+ year-old Stanley chain drive opener. Went with the 8500 even though the belt-drive was only a couple of years old because I liked how it mounted and it had good recommendations from people I know that have shops with larger doors.

What I didn't know until just now reading the reviewer comments on the Liftmaster website are the issues with the MyQ controller. I've only been using the opener for a few months and it seems the problems start happening around year 2 or 3. Rather a disconcerting point to "The last garage door opener you'll ever need." (quote from the installer). The durability and longevity of the opener I don't question, but the reported controller issue does give me pause.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ok. I think I'm avoiding any product with MyQ now.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted Hide Post
Had a Liftmaster 1/2 HP installed a couple years ago on a double wide door (door not too heavy). Very quiet screw drive and so far, so good. It replaced a 14-year old Genie chain drive that was noisy and could be finicky. Don't recall the cost but it wasn't too bad.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a 17 year old Genie screw drive opener that's been fantastic. It's not quiet but it sure is fast opening. I've had to replace the shuttle (bought on Amazon for not much) and my inside wired button (because it wouldn't lock the door (disable remotes). Other than that, a little lube on the screw every now and then and we're good to go.

For our third stall garage door I had a liftmaster belt drive opener installed and while it's quieter than the screw drive by a lot, it's slow and a bit bouncy on it's way up. Makes me wonder how often I need to adjust the belt. It's 5 years old now.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm having a hard time finding an opener that doesn't have MyQ or something similar. I don't need connectivity to my smartphone. In fact, I want an opener that doesn't have that capability at all.

All is need is a secure link to Homelink. I wish I would have bought an old school opener years ago. I hate this new world where everything needs to be connected to your smartphone. I hate it. Don't want it.

So, Chamberlain/Liftmaster are out. Genie is out. Not sure what to look at next.

I'm okay with the occasional failure. Every product fails at some point.... It's NOT acceptable that the door opens when the product fails. I could be on a trip for 2 weeks....

Question on Sommer: seems like they don't come with a manual release. How do I open the door manually if I lose power / the opener is broken?

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I had to add the MyQ module to mine. Are they integral now?

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow, I'm having a hard time finding an opener that doesn't have MyQ or something similar. I don't need connectivity to my smartphone. In fact, I want an opener that doesn't have that capability at all.

All is need is a secure link to Homelink. I wish I would have bought an old school opener years ago. I hate this new world where everything needs to be connected to your smartphone. I hate it. Don't want it.

So, Chamberlain/Liftmaster are out. Genie is out. Not sure what to look at next.

I'm okay with the occasional failure. Every product fails at some point.... It's NOT acceptable that the door opens when the product fails. I could be on a trip for 2 weeks....

Question on Sommer: seems like they don't come with a manual release. How do I open the door manually if I lose power / the opener is broken?

Just because the opener has the MyQ technology built in doesn't mean you have to use it or it even works out of the box. The internet connection would have to be setup for those that have the built in wifi module otherwise you need to purchase an internet gateway module to be able to use the MyQ functionality.

Liftmaster/Chamberlain are options and there are tons of other options without internet connectivity.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
I had to add the MyQ module to mine. Are they integral now?

Yes, on some models. Mine was integral and I didn't need to add anything else.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom is having a new garage installed this week with 2, 10' X 8' roll-up steel doors on it. My brother and I will be purchasing 2 LiftMaster 3950's to install on those doors.

From what I understand, LiftMaster is top tier.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I currently have a base model Liftmaster. It's worked very well over 15 years. I was leaning toward another Liftmaster but then I started to read reviews / comments about MyQ failures.

Failures are okay. But it sounds like when these things fail, the door opens. That's the part that is not acceptable to me. Even if it's just 1% failure, I don't want to be that 1%.

Sommer sounds good but seems like spare parts and repairs may be more challenging. But may not necessary -- I've never needed a spare part or anything for my garage door openers. My concern with the Sommer is no manual override - how do I open the door if the unit is down?

posted Hide Post
quote:

My Chamberlein has it, I've never set it up, and wouldn't worry about it. I think you're over thinking this and probably have more of a chance of forgetting to close the garage door one day when leaving (which I did once with my old non myQ or any tech opener). than having the myq screw up.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Chamberlain.

My house is 17 years old and came with a Genie. That one last 3 years and was replaced with another Genie. The next one lasted 4 years and was replaced with a Chamberlain.

My Chamberlain is now 10 years old (belt drive) and still works great. The belt is quiet (we have a bedroom over the garage) and has lasted just fine. We use our garage door more than our front door so in a normal day our door might go up and down 10-12 times. Haven't had any issues with it.

Also I upgraded mine with my Q and love it. I've had zero issues with it and it has never defaulted to open. Actually, the app is more reliable than the opener in my van.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4519 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The reality is, unless I go with Sommer, the replacement will likely be Chamberlain/Liftmaster.

I just hate the general trends of connected appliances without solid engineering and quality manufacturing.

I'm looking for a class action suit someday as a result of these failures. Wouldn't surprise me and these companies deserve it. SECURITY is the bottom line in these things, not the stupid connectivity and (whatever) convenience of smartphones.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Chamberlain is the main manufacturing company of garage door openers, They make Chamberlain Liftmaster and Craftsman door openers.

Chamberlain is the DIY line, Liftmaster is the Builder line, Craftsman and Chamberlain are one in the same.

Linky Thing

I have the Sears Craftsman 3/4 HP unit with backup battery that allows us to open and close the door in the event of a power loss. Since we have hurricanes and storms it's been used several times with power outage to let a car in or out, replaced the original battery once, it's not expensive and it's worth having.

We replaced the original Overhead unit with the craftsman quite a few years ago and it's been working flawless, it is a chain drive, didn't see the reason to move to belt since the majority of noise comes from the door opening itself not the opener.

When we did the last service on the door for a broken spring I had them add the poly type wheels, it makes a major difference in the amount of noise the door makes going up or down so much so that before we could hear the door in the house, now, not so much it's super quiet and it's the original door from 25 years ago.

Highly recommend upgrading the wheels to the poly wheels, less friction and stress and noise. Like I said a belt opener by itself with the old squeaky metal wheels won't really be quiet and I realize that's not your main focus, however reducing stress and friction will help increase door and motor life.

If you have it install a good company will check all the connections between the panels, they tightened up all the connections, put on the new wheels, oiled up everything and it runs very nicely.

If you DIY, then of course you can get the wheels on Amazon, and check all the connections yourself.

Posts: 23377 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
dumb question: what is DIY vs Builder? What are the primary differences?

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
DIY means it is marketed to home Do It Yourself people, Liftmaster focus is on selling to home builders,

Carrier does this with the Bryant AC line, Carrier is the consumer end, lots of marketing, advertising etc, even though it's sold through dealers, you can get their Bryant Line for less money as it doesn't have the advertising expenses associated with that line.

Same stuff basically.

Posts: 23377 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. But are there any differences in quality, price and/or features?

Or is just advertising channels -- Chamberlain in consumer oriented advertising channels, LM for builder/contractor advertising channels. But if it's basically the same products, I don't get why they need two different brands.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. But are there any differences in quality, price and/or features?

Or is just advertising channels -- Chamberlain in consumer oriented advertising channels, LM for builder/contractor advertising channels. But if it's basically the same products, I don't get why they need two different brands.

Different marketing, different warranty call center. If a garage door installer is calling for warranty, they already went through the steps and don't need some technical person to work them through them.....can charge different pricing for the 2 brands.....etc...

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
quote:
I currently have a base model Liftmaster. It's worked very well over 15 years. I was leaning toward another Liftmaster but then I started to read reviews / comments about MyQ failures.

Failures are okay. But it sounds like when these things fail, the door opens. That's the part that is not acceptable to me. Even if it's just 1% failure, I don't want to be that 1%.

Sommer sounds good but seems like spare parts and repairs may be more challenging. But may not necessary -- I've never needed a spare part or anything for my garage door openers. My concern with the Sommer is no manual override - how do I open the door if the unit is down?

There is a hanging cord that disconnects the lock pin. Pretty standard, I believe.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Liftmaster 8065 installed and with two remotes, 300 dollars and I tipped the guy ten bucks.

Thanks to everyone.

Posts: 107472 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post