SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener recommendations
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener recommendations Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks. But are there any differences in quality, price and/or features?

Or is just advertising channels -- Chamberlain in consumer oriented advertising channels, LM for builder/contractor advertising channels. But if it's basically the same products, I don't get why they need two different brands.
One difference, at least on some Liftmaster models, is a one-piece rail. The models you get at the big box come in sections. They're a little more bouncy.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked the Genie, direct drive units.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a wall-mount Liftmaster on a double tilt-up door?
Any problems with it?
Our recently purchased house has tilt-up doors in pretty good shape so I’m undecided on replacing with roll-up door. Part of that is that roll-ups seem to take up more ceiling space which could be used for storage.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
You have gotten so many replies, my input is surplus.

We had to replace our 16' single garage door this December. Lowes did the work and did an excellent job. New opener, door and tracks. The opener is belt driven Chain King?, and the door is triple insulated (Pella). The insulated door sure has made a difference in the unheated garage attached to the house.

But the whole works is so quiet. Now when the wife opens the door, and pulls in, you cannot hear it. I think the opener cost on the package was $150. The installer also had to do some flashing work on the outside, total cost was $1,800. But it was the top of the line door.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
I went with the Raynor Door Opener in January 2018. Here is my cost:

Raynor Aviator II, Model 8355 WRGD, ½ HP Garage Door Opener $320.50

LiftMaster, Model 877LM, Outside Wireless/Keyless Entry Pad 59.50

Raynor Extra Remote Control, 891LM 35.00

Labor to Install above items 97.50

TOTAL $512.50

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
The resurrection of this thread is strong.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
We use the Chamberlain Myq for our garage. It's easy to set up and user friendly too. But there's this once that our network went nuts, so did our garage door opener. Scary. If you have an unstable internet connection, this one's not for you, I guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JakiHere,

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Liftmaster 8500s here. Wall mount jackshaft drive. They are quiet and work very well. My only complaint is they are not compatible with Ford's built-in door openers without buying an additional part. Other than that I'm very happy with them.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I replaced mine with a 1hp screw drive Lift Master. Much quieter than the chain type. I actually installed it my self. Wasn't to hard.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Para, I see that you already got a new opener, but for the rest of you out there, If you have a Craftsman/Liftmaster opener that won't work, it is most likely this part: Replacement Gear

Mine shit the bed, so I replaced it. Word got out amongst family and friends, and I ended up fixing several. Amazon sells a two-pack for under $10.

If your opener makes a spinning sound, but the door doesn't open or close, it is most likely this part.

The gear shown in the link is a much softer material than the worm gear. Pull the cover off of the opener and inspect for white shavings.

A very easy job to do.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just had a Liftmaster 8550W put in to replace our quirky Martin opener that was almost 15 years old. Could have probably patched my gimpy unit up but this theead convinced me to take action. Originally looked at installing the less-pricey 8365W but I’m really happy we spent a little more. Heck of a nice unit with a lot of useful features our old one didn’t have.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My lift master was around $400 installed. The WiFi ability is bad ass. App on your phone opens and closes it in addition to keypad (optional) and traditional key fob remotes. I like it because unlike social media or all the other useless shit on smartphones, this is functional. Sometimes I’m away and ask myself, damn did I close the garage door? Running late to work a few times I forgot to close for some reason. I mash the button on my phone and it closes for me. Also useful for a guest, or family member who have locked themselves out, or for a contractor working in your house. With a camera, I’ve let a contractor into the garage before, remote, fired up camera to watch them work, then ultimately closed everything up when they are done, all from my desk at work. It’s one of the few home automation options that are extremely useful imo.
Mine has been installed for years now and zero issues. It has battery backup so when we have lost power on the street due to storms I can still open a close.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12626 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post