SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pimento cheese sandwiches
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pimento cheese sandwiches Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
When I was a kid, my mother often made pimento cheese sandwiches for my school lunch. I loved ‘em.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimento_cheese

I hadn’t thought of them in years, until today. I’m going to have to make some!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
some of our grocery stores sell "palmetto cheese" and it's got a little bit of spice/kick to it. We like it a lot at my house.

Daughter always says "yum" when she sees that I've brought home a container.

My mom makes her own pimento cheese and it's pretty good - creamier than store bought.

Make a grilled sandwich with pimento cheese and a slice of spam !!

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Ah Pimento Cheese Sammich's the world renowned favorite of The Masters!

I have enjoyed them for years, being from the proper south, along with fried bologna sammichs...

Good stuff....

SIL brought out the Pawleys Island pimento and jalapeno spread, well, you can't really call Pawleys Island spread, more like glue, it's about the only Pimento I don't really care for, too thick, but a lot of folks like it... Flavor is good.

Now I gotta go get some....

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Some good discussion and recipes from back in February here --> https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8930069664

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I'm in for the Karma!

Seriously, that February thread lead me into a nice cheezy rabbit hole that my waistline still hasn't recovered from.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
some of our grocery stores sell "palmetto cheese" and it's got a little bit of spice/kick to it. We like it a lot at my house.

Palmetto cheese on toast is good.

A grilled Palmetto cheese sandwich is better.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
There is nothing finer!

Posts: 652 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot all about them. As a kid, we would go to the growers market on Saturday. It was always a treat to get some.

Awake not woke

Posts: 566 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I just had one.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Pimento cheese Bojangles sells from time to time is really good.

Posts: 102 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a re-supply, used the last of mine up Saturday afternoon.

Posts: 3203 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Not much better than a good pimento cheese recipe. Cracker spread, even better as a grilled cheese.

Like many things I thought were odd when I moved to rural South Carolina, pimento cheese and boiled peanuts are things I crave daily.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Love it and always have for as long as I can remember. My Dad got me hooked, he was from N.C.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Yup. I get some good Pimento Cheese here in Georgia, but not like back in Louisville.

I also miss Benedictine. https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...-benedictine-spread/

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up eating Pimento Cheese sammies, and Benedictine also.

I eat pimento cheese sammies, or put pimento cheese on things quite often.

Benedictine, well that was kinda forgotten, until this past Christmas Eve. I was invited to a little get together. I usually don't go to these things, but since I was already going to Christmas Eve Mass, and the get together was semi formal, and I was dressed up in my Kilt, I figured why not?!?

So I went, they had horderves and one of them was Benedictine tea sandwiches.

I had forgotten how much I liked Benedictine.

It also brought me back, to when I was a kid, and mom would make Benedictine sammies as a light lunch or even dinner in the summer when it was just so hot, you didn't really want to eat, but was hungry.

Funny, how little things can do that.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
couldn’t find pimento cheese. found hatch chili cheddar. close enough? what kind of cheese is used for pimento cheese?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
couldn’t find pimento cheese. found hatch chili cheddar. close enough? what kind of cheese is used for pimento cheese?

Cheddar cheese.....

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:

From the link in my OP:

“The basic recipe has few ingredients: sharp cheddar cheese or processed cheese (such as Velveeta or American cheese), mayonnaise or salad dressing, and pimentos, blended to either a smooth or chunky paste.”

My mother used American cheese, I think, but I’ll use a good cheddar – Westminster Rustic Red. A cheddar with a difference – described in this link:

http://westminstercheddar.com/.../rustic-red-cheddar/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Pimento cheese is usually a blend of cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pimentos peppers, mayo, and spices. Some recipes vary a bit from that combo.

It's a paste/spread, not a block of cheese made with peppers embedded like pepper jack or hatch chile cheddar.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Palmetto cheese on toast is good.

A grilled Palmetto cheese sandwich is better.

Grilled Palmetto Cheese with bacon is outta this world...especially with a fresh sliced garden tomato Big Grin
For store bought...Palmetto Cheese brand is my favorite Smile...
My father in law (RIP) made an outstanding blend (it probably made me want his daughter that much more Smile)...she could replicate his recipe to a tee!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post