SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

US forces dropped a Moab bomb in combat for the first time today. Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^ HEY!!!!!! There are rules in warfare! Dropping that qualifies as weapon of mass destruction. Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
When you drop a bomb designed to destroy an underground tunnel complex, what is used to assess the damage?

Trained tactical gophers?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
These guys Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Snip- Amy Yuk Schumer

That Sir, was hysterical..the post...not the travesty pictured

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
When you drop a bomb designed to destroy an underground tunnel complex, what is used to assess the damage?

Trained tactical gophers?

You use amalgamated surveillance data (IMINT & HUMINT) of known entrances/exits for the duration of time you've monitored those continuously to generate an estimate of enemy strength. Then you make an educated guess. The truth is, we never know exactly how many people we kill in a lot of strikes, but especially something like this.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a dumb question...but I know nothing about bombs...

Why did they drop an air blast bomb to destroy caves ?? Wouldn't one want to use a penetrating, bunker busting type ??

Posts: 1264 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Is it a fuel-air bomb or one with so much solid explosive packed into it that it can function as an air blast weapon as well as a penetrative weapon?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Been a looong time since I was in, but my guess is the massive explosion, concussion, and shockwave over a large area will collapse the tunnels and compact the ground underneath the air burst burying, crushing, suffocating, and just general trauma to anyone in the complex.

Bunker busters are designed to penetrate specific hardened, reinforced, underground compound facility and is more of a "sniper" weapon as opposed to the "shotgun" area the MOAB covers.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
To bring down a mountain for one,collapse the things and use up all the oxygen for hundreds of yards and cremate those close.
Its a wonderful thing.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
To bring down a mountain for one,collapse the things and use up all the oxygen for hundreds of yards and cremate those close.
Its a wonderful thing.

That brought Conan to me no: "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:

Why did they drop an air blast bomb to destroy caves ?? Wouldn't one want to use a penetrating, bunker busting type ??

Moab is a thermobaric device which generates heat and pressure in a useful manner for "evacuating/dispatching" tangos in caves.

As noted above, penetrators are more of a "precision" weapon.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
The video is only 30 seconds long, but it kinda gives an impression of what it's like to collapse a tunnel complex and kill 94 terrorists.

Pentagon releases video of the MOAB.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2...-in-afghanistan.html

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The MOAB may be an "airburst", but it sure looks like it detonates real close to the ground (and reportedly makes a 300m blast crater).

These shallow caves aren't like concrete bunkers. The MOAB blast radius is a mile, it would totally f-up that complex. Wish we had them to drop in Tora Bora, 2001.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The MOAB does several things.

Great overpressure, and that, um, "disrupts the normal function of living things to the detriment of likely continued function".

Detonates about 6 feet above ground and downward forced propagation.

The blast radius also can destroy mines, IED, sensors and other defensive/offensive placements around a occupied and fortified areas.

The seismic component can collapse caves, and destabilize those left.

And anyone wandering around outside within the effective blast area are likely stop said wandering.

And it's a psych weapon.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Its a wonderful thing.

delightfully phrased and accurate as hell.

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:

Not a dumb question at all. I've learned a lot about weaponeering the past 10 years and the science was not intuitive to me.

Short answer: this solution prioritizes lethality over destruction. Those are not equivalent terms.

An explosion this large creates a massive, although brief, vacuum that will literally suck the life from humans in confined spaces. A bunker buster will penetrate deep and destroy something specific, like a buried nuclear reactor. It'll be lethal for folks around it, but not the whole facility. If you're hiding in a cave system and this explodes out front, you likely won't be effected by flame or frag but the pressure will liquidate your innards. If you're back further to avoid the over pressure it will still be lethal due to camped suction: your lungs will get pulled out your mouth and your eyes will come out. Seriously.

Bombs are a really gnarly way to die, even moreso in a confined space.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
For every militant they count, there could be many more buried inside the cave complex. Cave-ins, lack of oxygen, trauma, there are many ways the enemy might die underground.

One can only hope, eh?

tac

Add to that all of them taken out of combat temporarily due to the immediate need to empty their trousers.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I've been hearing some criticisms that we're "escalating" the Afghan war.

Escalation is what war is about, is it not? Roll Eyes You keep escalating until the other side can't and gives up.

Posts: 27839 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post