SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Special request: battle flown flag
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special request: battle flown flag Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arabiancowboy:
I just returned from a year flying attack aircraft in Afghanistan. I have a few US flags I flew on combat missions. Send me a note, I’ll mail you one. Side note- we usually have the crew sign a certificate and those guys are still down range.

arabiancowboy,
Thank you deeply for your service and the offer. I think sns3guppy has me covered on this one. We are so blessed for our warriors and our country. I could not think of any greater honor to this man than to provide him a combat mission flown flag. He’s going to be 87 this July 1st and I can’t wait for him to receive this package. This will be so meaningful. An old combat veteran being recognized by his younger, active duty compatriots. I just got off the phone with one of his sons and he’s blown away with what will soon transpire. We were both pretty choked up talking about it. Thanks to all who responded to this special request. I am deeply humbled and thankful for the offers. Thank-you all!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
No worries, cheers.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What a forum. What members. I'm in awe.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tanner, I don't see the email. I sent a second email, along with a number. You can call or text as is convenient. Time doesn't matter. I'm half way to deaf, so if I don't answer a call, leave a message or text, whatever is easiest.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Tanner, I don't see the email. I sent a second email, along with a number. You can call or text as is convenient. Time doesn't matter. I'm half way to deaf, so if I don't answer a call, leave a message or text, whatever is easiest.

Weird. I responded at 5:56pm. I just resent at 9:37pm. If you don’t see it now, I’ll call. Check your Spam folder?

posted Hide Post
Tanner,

I don't see it...lost in cyberspace somewhere. No bit deal. If you have time, just give me a holler, and we can talk.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Tanner,

I don't see it...lost in cyberspace somewhere. No bit deal. If you have time, just give me a holler, and we can talk.

Details confirmed. Thanks again!

posted Hide Post
quote:
I just spoke with my son who is stateside with an injury. His unit is deployed and working locations west of a large unstable area in an unstable region downrange. They do flag flights, and he thinks he can probably get a flag off one of the missions that was flown. Email me for details.

I know these can be popular and this is kind of a one-off offer to the original poster, rather than an open invitation to everyone, as I can't prevail on the unit to be doing this regularly. I'm sure others would like the same thing, but please understand that this is an answer to a request in this thread, and I'm unable to do repeats right now.

Outstanding!!!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
What a great place with great people!

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's the first, when the flag was to have arrived, and to follow up, I'm disappointed to say that it's not been sent. The flag was flown, and a certificate made and signed by the crew, and the flag saw time in an active combat area. It is available and is awaiting shipping to my son, who will put it in a flag case and send it to the veteran in question.

As some may be aware, some recent increased international tension and activity in a certain location has placed some additional security demands on units in that region, which has in turn caused some delays in moving the flag. It will till be sent. My sincerest apologies for failure to get it there on the first: I know this is important, and it will get there.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the first, when the flag was to have arrived, and to follow up, I'm disappointed to say that it's not been sent. The flag was flown, and a certificate made and signed by the crew, and the flag saw time in an active combat area. It is available and is awaiting shipping to my son, who will put it in a flag case and send it to the veteran in question.

As some may be aware, some recent increased international tension and activity in a certain location has placed some additional security demands on units in that region, which has in turn caused some delays in moving the flag. It will till be sent. My sincerest apologies for failure to get it there on the first: I know this is important, and it will get there.

No apologies needed here friend. The fact that you made it happen is amazing and we are all extremely grateful for the kindness and effort. This will have great meaning to the veteran, his family and really everyone involved. It’s a great deed you, your son and the air crew made happen and the flag will be honored and treasured. I will post a picture to this thread once it arrives. Thank you again!

posted Hide Post
My son advises me that the person with the flag has been moved due to some changes in that area due to a developing threat. The flag will get sent, but at the moment the timeline is a bit unpredictable.

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
That was very cool, thanks sns3guppy.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess the silver lining is that it may be a bit more battle worn by the time he gets it...

posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the silver lining is that it may be a bit more battle worn by the time he gets it...

That’ll fit right in for the old guy! The important bit is that they all stay safe. Thanks again to all of our vets, past, present & future!

posted Hide Post
As a result of this thread, I bought a flag from the bookstore at Pearl Harbor that was flown over the memorial on Dec 7 last year, and gave it to my girlfriend for her birthday today.

She lived in HI for several years, worked for a company that did a lot of business at the Naval Base, and travels back there as often as she can, which is not often lately.

She is thrilled with it, and not at all surprised that I got the idea from SigForum!

Thanks, guys! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sns3guppy,
Check your email, please!

posted Hide Post
I don't see an email. All I can say about the parties involved is that due to certain events, some have been moved to locations on another continent and have gone in several different directions.

Some changes in my own circumstance have meant that I haven't been back to those locations, or locations that would serve the interest of the recipient veteran subject of this thread, in the interim since the request was made (otherwise, I'd have picked it up myself). My apologies...but the circumstances presently are far beyond my control.

posted Hide Post
Understood and again no apologies. Its weird with the email. I’ve confirmed I sent you email to the one you have posted in you profile. I’ve received no bounce back messages. Did you check your spam folder by chance?

posted Hide Post
I did. I checked the suspect and virus files, too, but it's not there. I don't know why.

I'm checking on an alternate means, presently, and will let you know if I get anything positive back.