SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Special request: battle flown flag
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special request: battle flown flag Login/Join 
posted
Ladies & gents of Sig Forum,
I have a special request if at all I can make this happen. I have an extended family member who will be 87 years old this upcoming July 1st.

During WWII, he lied and entered the Marine Corp at 15 years old and served, although not overseas. He went on to serve in the Army in Korea, and received a Purple Heart. Afterwards, he served in the USAF.

I have known this man since 1980 and I personally have known no greater patriot to this great republic of ours. Naturally, he honors the flag each and every day. Raising and lowering it with great honor.

If at all possible, I would like to get him a battle flown flag to commemorate his service. If you could point me to a source where I could procure such an artifact, I would be much appreciated.

I want to make this happen for him.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
You can get flags that have been flown over the Capital building.
“It is possible for anyone to have a flag flown over the U.S. Capitol to honor a person, organization or event. Hundreds of flags are flown over the Capitol building each day in order to accommodate all the requests for these flags. It is possible for one flag to be flown in honor of someone, or you can order multiple flags to be flown over the Capitol in honor of different people. For orders of multiple flags, all of the flags in the order will be flown on the same day and shipped together; however, the information on the authentication certificates is still customizable and can be different for each flag.”

http://americanflagfoundation....wn-over-the-capitol/

Ground Zero
https://store.911memorial.org/...er-the-9-11-memorial

There is a program to fly a flag at the Pentagon
https://www.pfpa.mil/PUB_flags.html

Pearl Harbor
https://pacifichistoricparksbo...ns/flags/flown-flags

Little Bighorn
http://www.custermuseum.org/Give_A_Flag.htm

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
You can get flags that hav3 been flown over the Capital building.
“It is possible for anyone to have a flag flown over the U.S. Capitol to honor a person, organization or event. Hundreds of flags are flown over the Capitol building each day in order to accommodate all the requests for these flags. It is possible for one flag to be flown in honor of someone, or you can order multiple flags to be flown over the Capitol in honor of different people. For orders of multiple flags, all of the flags in the order will be flown on the same day and shipped together; however, the information on the authentication certificates is still customizable and can be different for each flag.”

http://americanflagfoundation....wn-over-the-capitol/

Thank you! I do know of this option. What I’m hoping to capture is a battle flown flag from a mission over Afghanistan or Iraq.

posted Hide Post
I used to do Iraq and Afghanistan daily; Afghanistan for five years, and it was very common to take flags on missions for the purpose of giving them with a plaque or certificate explaining that it accompanied xxx on a mission, and the particulars, for presentations and gifts.

I still operate there, but infrequently, otherwise I'd bring one back and you'd be welcome to it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

I still operate there, but infrequently, otherwise I'd bring one back and you'd be welcome to it.

I would so love to get this type of artifact to this warrior. His entire family are veterans: Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. He’s going to be 87 and who knows how long he’ll be around. I want to do this for him, however I can make it happen. thank you!

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I bought a flag that was flown over the USS Arizona in Pearl Harbor.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spoke with my son who is stateside with an injury. His unit is deployed and working locations west of a large unstable area in an unstable region downrange. They do flag flights, and he thinks he can probably get a flag off one of the missions that was flown. Email me for details.

I know these can be popular and this is kind of a one-off offer to the original poster, rather than an open invitation to everyone, as I can't prevail on the unit to be doing this regularly. I'm sure others would like the same thing, but please understand that this is an answer to a request in this thread, and I'm unable to do repeats right now.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Email me for details.
Be advised, there is no email address in your profile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
sns3guppy, that is outstanding.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Email me for details.
Be advised, there is no email address in your profile.

Thanks. It used to be there...it's up now.

posted Hide Post
Tanner:

Is there an Air Force Base (or Air Guard/AF Reserve) unit near you? Know anyone on (or retired from) the base? They may be able to fulfill your request.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just spoke with my son who is stateside with an injury. His unit is deployed and working locations west of a large unstable area in an unstable region downrange. They do flag flights, and he thinks he can probably get a flag off one of the missions that was flown. Email me for details.

I know these can be popular and this is kind of a one-off offer to the original poster, rather than an open invitation to everyone, as I can't prevail on the unit to be doing this regularly. I'm sure others would like the same thing, but please understand that this is an answer to a request in this thread, and I'm unable to do repeats right now.

sns3guppy,
That would be outstanding if you can help make this happen. Although I never served, I’ve always had a very deep appreciation for the sacrifices that allow our good country to endure and prevail. I will email you with whatever details are needed as well as any associated costs. Thank-you!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:

sns3guppy,
That would be outstanding if you can help make this happen. Although I never served, I’ve always had a very deep appreciation for the sacrifices that allow our good country to endure and prevail. I will email you with whatever details are needed as well as any associated costs. Thank-you!

No cost to you.

My son just texted, and they can do it, so its just details to work out.

You should have an email.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No cost to you.

My son just texted, and they can do it, so its just details to work out.

You should have an email.

I’m in tears over here, man. Thank-you to you and your son and the air crew who will make this happen. This will be so meaningful to him and his family. Words here cannot express my deep gratefulness for this. Thank-you!

P.S. I see an email from you from 12:20. If there is another, from you or your son, it has not yet hit the inbox or spam folder.

Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Awesome guys!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

P.S. I see an email from you from 12:20. If there is another, from you or your son, it has not yet hit the inbox or spam folder.

I need a reply to the email; send me your information and the name of the recipient; his name will be put on the certificate from in-theater, and I'll see if I can have it send direct to you.

Thanks.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I just returned from a year flying attack aircraft in Afghanistan. I have a few US flags I flew on combat missions. Send me a note, I’ll mail you one. Side note- we usually have the crew sign a certificate and those guys are still down range.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I need a reply to the email; send me your information and the name of the recipient; his name will be put on the certificate from in-theater, and I'll see if I can have it send direct to you.

Thanks.

Done and done! So many thanks for this! I’ll hopefully be able to post a pic of him receiving it! Both of his sons served in Vietnam in the USAF. We are all so very stoked and thankful!

Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
I am so proud to be a member of this forum !!

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post