SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who's Had Their Rotator Cuff Worked On? **The Rest of the Story Updated in Page 1 And A Thank-You**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's Had Their Rotator Cuff Worked On? **The Rest of the Story Updated in Page 1 And A Thank-You** Login/Join 
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted
Hey all.

There is the possibility that some of my less careful younger days have come back to haunt me. My shoulder is starting to show some of the classic symptoms of a rotator cuff problem, and I am starting to contemplate the time table of healing if an orthopedist decides I'm right.

So, who here has gone into the shop and had it worked on, and what was your recovery time like? I've been reading the trusty internet, but firsthand experience from the peanut gallery will also be very helpful. I'm in good shape and heal pretty quickly typically, but I am closing in on 50 years old.

***Good News!

I saw and Orthopedic Surgeon at a clinic here that specializes in sports players. Their shoulder guru was very nice and better yet figured out very quickly that I hadn't torn anything. Apparently I have/had a frozen shoulder which oddly enough, so did my mother at about this age. Same shoulder even.

So I got set up with a couple of the clinic's lovely and mildly sadistic young physical therapists. So far, I have been three times, as well as doing the exercises at home and my mobility has improved dramatically. Almost back to normal level. What was really incredible was how effective 15 minutes of deep tissue massage was at loosening up the shoulder right off the bat. I got 30 degrees of motion back almost immediately. I may have to look at that as a regular part of my future health regimen.

It's an ongoing recovery, but no surgery needed. Woot!

Anyhow, thought I would let everybody know since I remember a post in What's Your Deal about folks never posting how things end up after asking advice.

Also, thank-you to everyone who chimed in. The depth of experience here is one of the things that keeps me coming to the forum year after year. ***

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Otto Pilot,

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I had rotator cuff problems a few years ago, the result of swimming, weight workouts with a trainer and taking Krav Maga classes, apparently too much for these old bones and parts. I was then in my 60's, I believe. I was lucky, got diagnosed with only inflammation, short of tears, and endured months of physical therapy at the hands of some sadistic young women. Of course, I stopped swimming, workouts and Krav Maga while recovering.

An old girlfriend here told me yesterday that she had an MRI which revealed tears in her right shoulder rotator cuff, so she is facing surgery to repair. I bet that isn't going to be any fun. She is 71 now.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I have three tears, bicep tendon, labrum, and rotator cuff. I doing my best to put off surgery so this is also something I would like to know.

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Have you seen an Orthopedic doc?

I hurt mine. Knew I needed to see a doc when it hurt so much and I barely had the strength to lift glasses from the dishwasher to a shelve about my shoulder.

Saw a good doc and he had set me up with exercises to do at home with bands. He said I didn't need surgery but it could take months to a year to get back to normal. Doing the exercises it slowly got better. One day I may need to go under the knife but for now, it's much better.

What I'm trying to say it find a good doctor. Surgery is sometimes the only option but sometimes it's not needed.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Had it done when I was about your age. Went to one of the top three ortho guys in town. I would hope techniques have improved over the years. I was opened up for bone spurs, tendon reattachment (screws), and a cuff graft. Horrific procedure. If my ex-wife had not been a post-op nurse I would have ended up with Tylenol for pain meds. Strong pain meds are required for rehab which began the following day. Not sure why the doc was a dick with the Rx pad.

Doing rehab religiously, it took a year to return to normal. You have to follow the PT's instructions. I believe I'm 100% today.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Of course, I stopped swimming, workouts and Krav Maga while recovering.

I used to swim all the time. Don't much anymore but when my shoulder was bothering me I found myself in a pool and tried to swim some freestyle. That might have been one of the worst things I tried when my shoulder was bad. Low impact my &^%. Big Grin

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
pretty sure my right shoulder pain is rotator cuff related. Too bad my insurance is useless so I haven't been able to do anything about it. I hope I'm not screwed by letting it linger. I'm only 33.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had shoulder repairs done quite a few years back following an industrial injury. I was given a 15% disability for the injury. As I have gotten older the disability is definitely making itself known as I have pain when held in certain positions and reduced strength in specific planes. Would I do the surgery again, yes, as the arm was pretty much useless when injured. It is better than it was when injured but not near what it was before.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2887 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
Problems of hauling suit cases and flight bags around for 40 years. Had my first one at about 45. Without a doubt the most painful recovery of any surgery I have ever had. Do the PT afterword, no matter how much it hurts, do it, it will matter later on to get your full range of motion back. Slept on my Lazy Boy for the first 3 weeks, so the arm would not move much, sudden movements will send you up the wall real quick. I had a sling with a bunch of buckles to keep it from moving much, but it still does. Had a second one, same shoulder, about 3 months ago, doing better but it's still stiff. I found it averages about 6 months till you are totally pain free again. Good luck !!!

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Last September. Diagnosis was rotator cuff. Turned out to be an impingement and torn bicep tendon. 2 weeks immobilized and 4 more weeks in the sling, plus 36 PT sessions. Have been told I should be 100% in a year.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
My only "personal experience" with rotator cuff tears/problems was my brother. He fell, landed wrong, tore it.

Putzed around with it for several months and decided to have surgery.

We were out rowing white water on the lower Salmon River, and part of the Snake river 3 days after his surgery. He had no problems.

Probably much determined by the extent of the damage, etc.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
My wife had the surgery.
The only thing I can tell you that the key to recovery is following diligently the PT that comes afterwards.
Don't do it and you will be sorry.
No pain no gain.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I had my right shoulder done at 42. I had a 3/4 tear of the supraspinatus, a labrum tear, and a partial separation of the biceps tendon from the bone.

Cause of the injury was multi-fold. Initial tear came in my late 20s playing a game of volleyball in the Army. Tried to stop a spike with my arm at full extension, and felt the muscle let go. Later, in my 40s, I assisted with my son's little league team, throwing hundreds of balls from the outfield to home plate. That didn't help. Final straw was when I tried to pull a 14 foot sailboat on to a trailer as a hurricane was approaching. Feeling a muscle tear is no fun.

I was in very good shape at the time; running, biking, lifting, etc., including the injured shoulder. Funny thing about shoulders, if you aren't moving the specifically injured part, the rest of the system works pretty well, and mostly pain free. Just don't do the wrong thing. That will light you up quickly.

Physical therapy was tried, and was useless, because an existing tear won't really heal, there is too much tension on it. Eventually the insurance company relented and I had arthroscopic surgery performed by the team orthopedist for the Florida Panthers.

I was in the OR for 4 hours. They stitched the muscle together, built a basket of sutures around the ruptured tendon, put two screws in my shoulder bone, and tied the end of the tendon to the screws.

I woke to my arm in a sling, heavily bandaged, with a battery operated pain med drip inserted deep into my shoulder. (About 4 inches, as it turned out.)

Instructions were not to move the arm AT ALL!. Any damage you do at this point will likely be permanent, unrepairable and possibly crippling.

Pain drip came out after two days. It was a weird feeling as the tube pulled out of my shoulder.

Heavy pain killers for the next 5 or so days. Not allowed in a car, even as a passenger for two weeks. Two weeks sleeping in a recliner, as there is a risk that you will roll on to the shoulder in a bed.

Putting on a shirt, or showering involves doing everything left handed, and allowing the healing arm to simply hang down away from the body. This period lasts 6 weeks, while the arm is in a sling, and the sling is separated from your body with a pillow to ensure that the tendon heals short enough to be of use.

Then physical therapy starts. Because I was in good shape going in, therapy was not painful for me. I have heard horror stories, but honestly, the only time I really hurt was when I misjudged a door opening at about week 4, and hit the door frame with my shoulder. Other than that, there was discomfort, significant at times, but generally not too bad. Therapy was not particularly painful, but it did take 6 months to get back to full range of motion, and nearly a year to get back to full strength.

When done, I had full range of motion and full strength. I understand my pain levels, recovery, range of motion and strength to be somewhat atypical, and consider myself very lucky.

I have since partially re-injured the same shoulder, but have no where near the pain and restrictions that I had previously, and have elected to just live with it for now.

Feel free to email me at my address in profile of you have any questions.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input so far, y'all.

Of particular interest to me is how ling it will keep me out of the cockpit. Thankfully, being a Captain now, the only thing I have to really use strength for is occasional sticky throttles. I have already been giving thought to lightening my travel load significantly, especially now that I do primarily domestic stuff until I can get some more seniority.

Of course all that will be up to my flight doc. Looks like a good time ahead.

Thankfully, I am already familiar with the sadistic nature of PT due to getting my knee scoped in college. That won't be a surprise.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I've had 5 shoulder surgeries, 4 in the last 5 years. 1 was rotator cuff only, 2nd 3 years later on same shoulder removed bone spurs, clipped my collarbone, added 4 anchors to screw my rotator cuff back down and snipped my upper bicep - was basically 4/5 torn. My left was the same - minor RC surgery to clean, clip collarbone, and removed bone spurs. However, rather than snip bicep went in for a second surgery a year later and had it moved out of groove and reattached.

So yeah, some familiarity. A few things I learned:
  • If you won't be disciplined in doing the PT - forget about it. This only works if you are religious about PT no matter how it hurts
  • Get a good MRI picture so you know with certainty what is going on
  • Do the PT religiously Before opting for surgery
  • PT before surgery won't help if you have a "mechanical" problem - in my cases my bone spurs were tearing up my shoulder. I even did stem cell injection which just delayed the inevitable
  • With the PT (and after surgery) controlling inflammation is the key to reducing risk of re-injury and reducing pain. Use ice religiously - it really does help. Ice Ice baby
  • Anti-Inflammatories are a short term solution -helpful to a point. I went through years of cortisone injections to head this off, but knowing what I know now would have done it differently. Lots of side effects with this and pills
  • If you have something mechanically wrong and it likely will lead to greater injury - get it fixed
  • Pick the right surgeon - Orthopedic guys that do sports teams are at the top of the game for a reason. My guy does a lot of MLB pitchers and NFL guys.
  • Push as hard as they tell, and no more. Muscle atrophy is as hard to get back from as the injury so do all you can do to minimize
  • You get used to pain - and that makes you more likely to reinjure. Don't overdo it, and don't rush it
  • Soft tissue takes a long time to heal - be patient
  • If you were lifting before, don't do the same things again unless you PT guy/gal approves. Better yet just go be active in paddleboarding, swimming, etc. Being active is better than any workout to bring you back
  • Did I say be patient?

Bottom line - if you can't sleep, it is messing with the quality of life - get it done. You aren't getting any younger and the older you get, the longer to heal.

I'm pain free for the first time in over 20 years and it is awesome. I no longer lift heavy, I lift "lite"/high rep, I'm scrawnier than I was - but getting "fitter" than I have ever been. I'm 50 in two weeks and my goal for the decade from 50 -60 is to not do the stupid things that led to my shoulder surgeries from 40-50.

Above all - don't reinjure. Good luck!

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Painful rehab. We have two docs locally that are supposed to be really good. One (the one I used) starts rehab like two days after surgery. The other waits a month or so. Not sure which way is best.

I can no longer throw like a man, but I don't have any pain when using the arm. Before surgery, it hurt even while sleeping on my side...

Had full tear across most of the humerous I think.

Dr said that the steroid injections the primary care dr had given me had softened up the tendons and made them spongy and hard to reattach...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
It will only get worse, so better to get it done sooner rather than later. I had issues I ignored until I went to lift something over my head and my left arm gave out. Kind of shocked me, so I went in.
The bone over my shoulder (achromiate or some such name), had a bone spur that was cutting my rotator cuff. Doc went in, shaved it down, clipped my collar bone, and stitched and screwed the cuff back together.
Did PT as instructed and recovery was quit good--only on big meds for two days as they made me nauseous. Worst part was them pulling off the sticky padding they wrapped my shoulder with following the surgery.
I was in my early 40s, am now 53 and it is 100%.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My wife is two weeks post op. She had a bone spur and a partial tear. Surgery took about an hour, three small incisions with one stitch each. Yea there is pain involved but she is a trouper...Percosets aren't hurting either!

First follow up was yesterday and learned she has to wear the sling for another two weeks since the tendon was torn. Starts PT next week, two to three times a week for three to four weeks.

We were given the option before surgery to do the non-surgical rehab type thing and MAYBE fix it. After the surgery the Doc said likely that approach would not have worked.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
I had mine done almost exactly one year ago. 90% tear of the supraspinatus tendon. I let my 1st class physical expire for the first time in 35 years. That was a strange feeling.

I felt I could have returned to flying at the 4 month mark, for sure at 5 months but my ortho guy said 6 months. He said its not about regular flying but emergency egress etc. Doors can be heavy. You're ten years younger than I was so maybe you'll heal faster. The results of the repair are worth the surgery.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Had my right shoulder done at age 51. 10% was all that was left holding it together. 4 screws to hold it together to heal. Electric therapy chair for three weeks after, 6-8 hours a day. Sling for 2-3months after that. PT for 30/40 session as well. I seriously doubt you will be flying any sooner than 2 months. Hope I'm wrong. Good luck. I have full range of motion, but maybe 75 percent of my old strength.

I did not shoot my shotgun for 5 months after. Did NOT want to undo their work, nor suffer all that pain again.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post