SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Investing and guns.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Investing and guns. Login/Join 
posted
I never have bought a gun as an investment. I’ve bought a gun thinking it might be a good trade at some point. HK P7’s and M8’s are going for huge prices. I must have missed the last jump in prices because my best guess price was off. Shoot, even the magazines are crazy priced.

What’s the best increase in a gun you ever bought and sold? I can’t answer that question because I’ve only sold guns I didn’t like and really just wanted them gone. Only regret 2. Walther PP in .32 that wouldn’t make it through a mag without issues. Should have bought new mags. (I was young). P228. Went on deployment cane back it had some light surface rust. Pissed me off so much I sold it to a buddy. Who still flaunts that to me. (I’m a dumbass).

Other guns I sold I could care less.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Uzi Mini Carbine, bought for 599.00, sold for 1400.00. And I’m sure it’s way more than that now. But I needed the money pretty badly and took one for the team. I’d sure like it back.
There are others but this one makes me slap myself.

Posts: 11147 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My best was an 1892 dated Mosin-Nagant M91. (The second year of Mosin-Nagant production.)

Bought it in 2014 for $125 while I was still collecting Mosin-Nagants. Sold it in 2019 for $1000 after I decided to downsize my milsurp collection.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold a like new P7M8 for $2500 a month ago and I paid $1100 for it. That’s on a 3 year investment. I’m sure people who bought guns 30 years ago have a bigger gain.

Believe it or not my biggest gain will come from a Glock. I paid $450 for a Glock 22C with fish gill slide and amongst Glock collectors no one has seen one for sale on GB in many years. The last one that anyone can remember went for $3500.

Posts: 3867 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Milsurp ammo; 7.62x54r, .303Brit, 6.5 Swede, 8mm and 7mm Mauser, 7.5 Swiss and 9x18 Makarov have all appreciated very well.
Used to buy it cheap and stack it deep.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought and sold quite a few used guns over the past several years and generally make anywhere from 20-50 percent on the deals. I plow it all back into more guns, but it's a fun part of the hobby for me. Not talking big dollars. In most case I might make up to a couple hundred dollar profit, but I usually keep them for a bit, maybe make a range trip or two, and move them on. I'm also sitting on a pretty large collection that I feel like I've bought very well compared to current values.

Posts: 2464 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Unless you are in the business of these type of guns ~ in general they are not a great investment.
However, not all are bad and some hold their own.
I imagine most of mine are treading water or below but some have increased in value.
Those increases are while somewhat positive ~ the money could have been better invested elsewhere.
The only significant increase was from a HK 94 unfired rifle that has increased but that is not why I bought it.
YMMV

Posts: 22825 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
I was really in to collecting HK's back in the early 90's. Bought a couple HK SP89's for around a $1000 each. Sold them a couple years later for $3,500 each.

Around the same time I bought one of the early HK G3's in semi auto. It didn't have the push pin lower, but was a real nice example. Paid $3,000 for it, sold it to a buddy for the same amount and he recently sold it for $7000. Should have kept that one!

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1520 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
My best was an 1892 dated Mosin-Nagant M91. (The second year of Mosin-Nagant production.)

Bought it in 2014 for $125 while I was still collecting Mosin-Nagants. Sold it in 2019 for $1000 after I decided to downsize my milsurp collection.

similar,

bought a NEW mosin, not that I cared for mosin's, just wanted a US Built one,

it had a Fox contract (the shotgun folks) hex receiver, ended up getting a hair over $800,

paid $100

years ago I bought a Colt Lightning and a Win 52 pre A for $600, for the pair,

still have the Win 52, sold the Lightning the next week for over $600, and it had a sewer bore,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10403 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
I own the HK P7M8, HK94, HK91, HK-blah, blah, blah, 'n' stuff. Great firearms. But they never get shot. It's kinda' hard to shoot a gun now worth $5K when it's value is still climbing.

But in general, guns do not make good investments. And foreknowledge of what today will be valuable tomorrow is beyond my prognostication.

I think you are better off looking at firearms as a fun sport, rather than an investment.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fact that a box stock Glock could fetch upwards of 3500 bucks amazes me.

Posts: 7324 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Bought an AR in California before moving to Tennessee. Sold it in 2013 and broke even.

I figure that's not too bad given the location differences.

Posts: 3652 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Have not made any money because I don't sell. Well not yet anyway.
In the early 2000's I bought a Sig 210 long slide on GB and paid $4000.00 for it.
The guys on here that watch such things knew who bought it and gave me hell for a few days for paying that kind of money for a used 210.If or when it is sold,I don't think I will lose much money. Wink

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1481 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Circa 1998 I bought a Colt Python for $500. In 2008 I sold it for $1300. They are way higher than that now. This should be considered an anomaly and not an investment strategy. Razz

Posts: 27778 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
No4 MK1, Bought for $44.95, sold for $400
Chinese SKS. Bought for $49,94, sold for $500.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I hope all you profit takers did report that huge income on your income tax returns, both federal (feral) and state. But I'm assuming besides being among the hated gun owners, Y'all are also tax cheats. Big Grin Also be aware that the tax thieves usually don't allow you to take the amount you paid as your cost because you lack proper (to them) documentation. You know, like the receipts from licensed dealers. Smile

OK, long ago, like maybe 2004 or so, I bought a case of A H Hirsch (go ahead, look it up) for terrible price of $54.95 a bottle. Then promptly sold as many as I could to my drinking friends. All was well, its rated as the best bourbon ever produced, and it wasn't even distilled or aged here in Kentucky. These days the asking price is around $3500 a bottle. Not a bad paper profit, except I'm not selling. Oh, and I bought a bottle of Pappy from my gunshow partner who doesn't drink bourbon (heresy). I paid him the unearthly price of $400 for it. It was his birthday present back in 1997. It was 20 year back then. I'm thinking the 1970s were good years for whiskey. Yeah, I keep the booze locked up with my guns.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18381 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cash is king, and thank our founders for the "gunshow loophole." Big Grin

Posts: 2464 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I would think the only real investment with a gun would be autos....there’s a limited number of them on an approved list.

My buddy has a few full autos and he has been selling them off a few at a time.

For example, he had a Thompson, he told me he bought it for three or four grand twenty years ago and sold it two years ago for about ten grand. I saw him sell a M16 for 23k, and he sold a M2 for around 50k....included tripod and spare barrel.

A cobray mac 10 goes for 3k....

But it think the time to get into it was in the 80s. Now full auto is Ridiculous.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11226 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I own the HK P7M8, HK94, HK91, HK-blah, blah, blah, 'n' stuff. Great firearms. But they never get shot. It's kinda' hard to shoot a gun now worth $5K when it's value is still climbing.

I too have an unfired P7M8 with extra mags and unused Nills grips. Looking at values now, I'd call it a good investment, though that wasn't my intention when I bought it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6guns,

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38566 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Springfield M1C Garand. Paid $650! Go look them up. Still have it.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post