SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Roofers? Cost question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Roofers? Cost question. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Owner financing a previous home to my Daughter. Roof is shot. ~24 years on a 20 year shingle roof. New roof on my dime, probably this fall. No leaks yet!

Need a tare off and reroof.

About 18 - 20 Sq on a tee shaped house, Single story 4/12 pitch. Gable ends, two valleys. 3 plumbing vents, one gas water heater vent, the electrical service mast and a powered roof vent.

I did it last time all by myself. In 1993. I don't think it is a task I would be up to now! Last time I priced roofing labor was SO long ago it wouldn't be anywhere close to relevant. I think it was $13 off and $13 On. ($26 per Square remove and replace plus shingles.)

Of course I will get estimates when ready to go, but I just wondered what a ballpark price to start thinking about to budget for. Labor to tare off and labor to install?
Don't want metal. In middle Tennessee if that matters.

Thanks!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not a roofer, but have been a PM with a remodeling company in the last few years.

If we're throwing ball-park numbers around, I would think you could get removal for around $50-$75/sq and install would be in the $100- $150/sq range. Not counting extras like underlayment, etc.

But it's possible you might get higher prices since you would just be a random home owner to these guys and not a likely place for repeat business.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father has replaced his roof twice in the last 10 years. He told me the price had doubled in that time frame. He had gotten the insurance adjusters price and was shocked at how much they offered. Then he started getting estimates!!!

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
See if you can find a couple guys who do cash jobs on the weekends. You can probably save 3-4 grand on labor.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't have the specific dimensions/layout of the roof my estimate would be right around $5k. That's tear off/haul off at $37 a square and put back including felt and shingles (25 year composition) at $170 a square. Drip edge, valley metal, flashing and pipe jacks make up the difference.

That's a fairly close, but rough estimate given the situation that I would turn into your insurance company if I were called out to look at a hail claim or wind damage to the roof. My roofer would come in around the $4,200 mark to actually do the job. Pricing does vary by location, but there probably isn't much of one between our two locations. Depending on the insurance carrier, I could add another 20% for overhead and profit.

Side note, roofers are the most notorious shady bunch of people out there. I've got a couple of good ones that took me a long time to find, but they are out there. Stay away from fly by night operations or those that show up in town after a heavy storm. Outside of the few that actually do the work in my area, they mostly sub out the same crews. It comes down to the expectations and follow up by the owner/manager that determines how good of a job the subs do. In short, do your homework before selecting one.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Since you have last done your own roof, the price of roofing has at least doubled. In regards to the rip off, a lot of towns now require a receipt from the landfill where the roofing has been taken. This limits people finding a place in the woods and dumping the old shingles. Also consider that although tar paper is used on the roof, an Ice dam material is now required on all perimeter areas. This adds to the cost but works excellent. Another thing is that most people chose the engineered roofing which looks better and lasts longer.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, huge huge help, great info.

I COULD hire a helper and commander a Grandson or two and do it in sections I guess but I still don't think it's something I want to do.

There is an old local company that seems to be doing a large portion of the work in this area now. They did have a poor rep 40 years ago, but the Son is running it now, I went to school with him but we didn't travel in the same circles so I didn't really know him. I'll probably hit him up first.

The very good and fair priced roofer that did all my Dads work for years, (Dad was a contractor) is unfortunately no longer in business.

Thanks again!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Down here in South Florida, a shingle re-roof (tear off everything to the decking, replace a little rotton wood, new tar paper dried in, shingles installed and flashing runs $300 per square for everything.

We don't do that crap of nailing a second/third/fourth set of shingles on top of old ones crap down here.....everything always comes off to the wood deck and all new goes on.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If you decide to use a contractor, have EXERYTHING written on the contract.
Typically, when I worked for a municipal utilities authority, I somehow became the guy that handled roofs that would need replacement at 52 separate buildings. The most I had at one time was 10 roofs due to hurricane Sandy.
In regards to sheathing, have the contractor put in the quote a price for every sheet that would need replacing. For instance $35 per sheet. The contractor can't tell with the shingles on how many sheets may be replaced, but this will be a fair way for both of you to know the cost of replacement before hand. Then before the tar paper goes on, make sure you can see how many sheets needed to be replaced. This is common and a good contractor will not be offended.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My roof was $7000 for a 2200 sq ft 2 story house. Owens lifetime shingles and 30 lb felt. A frame roof with one gable, pretty simple. Not exactly how that relates to your measurements.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
My roof was $7000 for a 2200 sq ft 2 story house. Owens lifetime shingles and 30 lb felt. A frame roof with one gable, pretty simple. Not exactly how that relates to your measurements.

$318 a square (100 sq feet)

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
So, you live in Tennessee, and there will be regional differences in price, and some minor differences in how roofing is done. As time goes by, code has become more uniform.

One key advancement in roofing, has been the underlayment. I would urge you to spend a touch more and get something that is better than felt.

quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
If we're throwing ball-park numbers around, I would think you could get removal for around $50-$75/sq and install would be in the $100- $150/sq range. Not counting extras like underlayment, etc.

Underlayment is "extra?" What kind of savages to you work with?

quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
See if you can find a couple guys who do cash jobs on the weekends. You can probably save 3-4 grand on labor.

How do you know that these people know what they are doing?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, I agree. I went with Flintastic GMS underlayment. But, I see everyone using better underlayment than felt here unless it's a builder.

I'd go with a roofer that has been in business a while that has all the equipment and will be in business for a while so you have a warranty.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ours was $12.5k for a 1300 sq. ft. ranch with a hip roof, plus attached 2-car-plus garage.

This included tear-off and disposal, premium designer shingles, premium vapour-barrier "felt" (a Tyvec®-like material), snow & ice shield, replacing "cans" with ridge and hip vents and a sheathing replacement allowance (which turned out to be needed). If it matters: There is a brick chimney, wood-burning stove chimney, two plumbing vents and electrical service entry riser. Roof has a 50-year, one-time-transferable full replacement warranty, backed by Owens Corning, which includes all material and labour. It was done by a licensed, bonded, insured Owens Corning Platinum Preferred contractor.

We didn't mess around Wink

We probably could have knocked that down to around $8k by not going top-drawer on everything. But, we wanted these particular shingles and the rest was incremental increase.

We'll never have to worry about that roof, again, for the rest of our lives. If we go to sell the house in 25 years, the roof will still have another 25 years of full replacement warranty on it, which will be a huge selling point.

Be careful of hiring "a couple guys" to do your roof--or anything else like it. If they're uninsured and there's an injury while they're working on your property, you might find yourself on the hook for it. Make certain your homeowner's insurance has your back.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Just got a claim and estimate in the $21K range for 60 squares, lots of angles and steep pitch.

At $350/sq that's pretty steep. Welcome to TX....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post