SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife Wants A Blender
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife Wants A Blender Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
The wife wants only a new blender for her upcoming birthday and I need to find one. Any ideas? She mainly uses it to make smoothies so I guess it needs to be a heavy duty type one.

And no, we just had a baby so one of these fancy schmancy $500 Vitamix jobs or whatever they are called ain't happening.

Any ideas for under a hundred bucks?

Posts: 33799 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Kitchen Aid.
I bought mine at a dept. store several years ago, and it's been awesome.
I don't remember the exact price, but it wasn't too bad.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to replace our blender about 2 years ago. We had a Cuisinart that lasted 10 years. Got it as a wedding gift. It finally crapped out. I searched, asked here, researched elsewhere. Ended up going with a Breville blender. It looks as if they have come down in price since we bought. I paid $200, but just searched and found a few from $150-$160 on Amazon. I know that's not under $100, but I'm not sure how long those under $100 would last.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Waste Kang!

Oh, wait...

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Get up early on Sunday and surf the channels to see whats available in the infomercials.

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ninja from Costco. Among other attachments, it came with three individual sized cups to make single servings of smoothies. I use it every day to make smoothies for my kids. I think I paid around $160.00 but it is worth it.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Ninja kitchen system

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...quXGbW0PL&ref=plSrch

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah: Those Vitamixers are expensive upfront. I paid $325.00 for a reconditioned one 21 years ago. Use it nearly everyday,some times twice.

Would buy another one in a heartbeat if I could kill the first one.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The Ninja is by far the best bang for your buck. I used one almost every day for a long time to make smoothies. Works great - not a bit of difference in the end product from one of those thousand dollar jobs.

https://best.offers.com/best-b...mfo9QCFQwQgQodGgkC5g

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The CSM has used a Nutribullet for a few years, works great. She has a smoothie almost ever morning. We did have to replace a blade because it started leaking. You can get it for about $60 and it comes with a couple different cups.

Shendid have me buy her a Vitamix, she is about to have surgery and will be on a liquid only diet for a while. She says the Vitamix will pulverize the smaller bits better. Haven't used it yet.

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Ninja for sure

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife bought "us" a Vitamix a couple years ago for "our" Christmas present. It gets used every day for her breakfast smoothie, plus other chores, like making peanut butter, some soups, etc.

It's industrial grade & I could probably use it to grind fallen tree branches into mulch. I consider it a good investment, because it gets used hard.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Shendid have me buy her a Vitamix, she is about to have surgery and will be on a liquid only diet for a while. She says the Vitamix will pulverize the smaller bits better. Haven't used it yet.

A Vitamix will liquefy anything. If you run it for a while it will grind up strawberry and blackberry seeds until the pieces are so small you can't tell they are there.

They are also powerful enough that you can make soup in them by putting a bunch of raw stuff in and running it on high for 6-10 minutes. The friction from the blades will heat it up enough to cook it and it will come out steaming.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Ninja on the Cheap but Good tip, Vitamix for the buy once cry once lifetime Blender.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Vitamix
- The GF has one, and I have one. Both are great and can't be beat. Steel drive and blades, so it won't strip out.

- use mine for smoothies post work out. Usually just frozen fruit and protein powder or hemp hearts, works like a charm.

the issue with the knija is that blades are really sharp. Good luck cleaning them.

Both Vitamix and Blendtec have dull blades and use speed and power to do the work.

You can usually get a good buy on a Vitamix at Costco $250 or so. Alternatively I've seen them in outlet mall kitchen stores, usually reconditioned for a lower cost.

Blendtec are A+ as well. I was all in on Blendtec before the GF got a Vitamix. I went Vitamix due to Costco deals.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Ninja on the Cheap but Good tip, Vitamix for the buy once cry once lifetime Blender.

This is the bottom line right here. The Vitanix is the better blender by far, but the price reflects that.

If you stuff smoothie ingredients plus a huge handful of spinach into a Ninja you get a somewhat smooth smoothie with green fiberous flecks throughout. Take the same ingredients in a. Itsmix and then double the spinach and you end up with a milkshake smooth uniform green with no trace of a fiberous fleck smoothie. It really is better.

Heck, I make things like butter and mayonnaise with mine. I'm not sure the ninja is up to that.

Comes down to budget.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was going to recommend a Vitamix, but otherwise, I like my KitchenAid.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can get a Vitamix for under $500, go for it.

I got a Ninja as a x-mas gift, mainly does smoothies but, the occasional gravy and soup also gives it a workout. Hasn't had a hiccup in 5-years, keeps on humming.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Certified Reconditioned from Vitamix. They have the old model Standard Program for $279 on the Vitamix Website. I prefer the tall skinny pitchers ro the short fat ones.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I'd watch out if I were you. When the wife says she wants a blender or a new vacuumn for her birthday or Christmas, what they are expecting is a shiny ring, diamond necklace or few days paid for a body massage.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post