SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roman numerals
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roman numerals Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m L years old, and I know them.

I'm LV so yes as well.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10353 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Why do some clocks have IIII?

That used to bug me when I was a kid: “Hey, you just made us learn that 4 was IV, and now all these clocks have IIII; what’s with that?” We have a clock at home with IIII and I still think of that every time I see it.

Anyway, this thread reminded me that this is the Internet that knows everything, and the below link supposedly explains it, including the need for symmetry on clock faces and fact that the subtraction convention (e.g. IV for 4, IX for 9, etc.) wasn’t universal.

https://www.facebook.com/notes...ead-ii/433524526255/

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Why do some clocks have IIII?

As I recall, it's because the letters "IV" - the Roman numerals for "4" - had a separate meaning in Latin. I think it was an abbreviation for something with religious overtones? Now, I've got to check.

Yep. It was the start of the Latin way to spell Jupiter, their supreme god. https://monochrome-watches.com...-iiii-instead-of-iv/
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Years are pretty easy. How many can express their birthday, or a current date, in Roman numerals?

It's not hard to express numbers with Roman numerals.
MMXX - that's this year. How hard was that? Wink

What's hard is doing math with them. The modern Arabic numbering system is much easier for calculation, which is why Roman numerals went the way of the Dodo.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m L years old, and I know them.
I'm LXXXII -- I know them, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
LXLX
I don't think that computes. Did you mean LXIX?

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Photo taken on last year's visit to Vienna, Austria:

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Being LIX years of age, I still remember being taught Roman Numerals.

No, they were not the only number system being taught way back then.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Scio me numero

One can know their Roman numerals without knowing their Latin, apparently. Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I know my Roman Numerals from the Super Bowl. Razz

This year I will be LIV.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Try doing simple addition with a column of Roman numerals. Wink

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm LXIV but the damn computer says I'm 1000000.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by yanici:
Try doing simple addition with a column of Roman numerals. Wink
Even better, try multiplication and division.

flashguy

Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
LI here. Had to learn them also. I'm going to ask my XIX year old daughter if she knows them tonight.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
I'm XL years old...but if I told people "I'm XL" they'd think I was a big guy (which I'm not)!

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
septuāgintā duo...LXXII.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
These aren't that bad, but the Roman fractions are S baked.

They counted in twelfths. So the other half could also be :::

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
As a grade schooler we had to learn them and understand their order. I'm not sure the children today have a clue about them. It's ancient history. Much like morse code.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Trying to do arithmetic with them is a wonderful way to emphasize just how much more convenient the Aribic numeral system is!

flashguy

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
I’m LXI yrs old
LX here.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I taught RN to my boys, but I doubt they remember. I'll Have to ask. The younger two take Latin, so they probably still know them, at least the basics.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post