SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roman numerals
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roman numerals Login/Join 
posted
Saw the credits at the end of a movie in which the release date was in Roman numerals and it made me wonder how many people today can read (decipher?) Roman numerals. I can because I learned them as a child who began school in the late fifties and it was commonly taught since they were still in use, at least in some applications. Not nearly so much today. So I ask, how many know their M's, C's, X's, V's, and I's? And how they are arranged to form numbers/dates? This is not meant to disparage those who can't; I suspect they haven't been widely taught in school for quite some time. Those who knew them but are a bit hazy about details can count themselves among those who know; I won't quiz you.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scio me numero

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
No problem. It’s pretty easy.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I have no trouble with it. Not sure my teenage daughter could though.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The subject is probably not even broached in school anymore. Unless perhaps in some type of specific history class about ancient Rome and/or Roman Empire.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m L years old, and I know them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I entered elementary school in the mid eighties and we were taught and expected to know them. My children in the same district today know that they are Roman Numerals, but really have no idea what they actually mean. Super Bowls are probably the most common use of them currently.

Posts: 169 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just took a 4 day project management course and there was actually a lot of Roman numeral discussion. Turned into a running joke. Couple of us knew them really well.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Whoops! There you go; I forgot L's in my list.

posted Hide Post
Rocky III plus Rocky V equals Rocky VIII: Adrienne's Revenge!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:

You forgot D as well.

Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m L this year brother!

While we are on the subject of school, my daughter can’t write cursive. The world has gone downhill.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I'm LXXII.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Years are pretty easy. How many can express their birthday, or a current date, in Roman numerals?

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
quote:

You forgot D as well.

Well, hell, it was meant to get the discussion started; I had just seen MCMXC and tossed in a couple more. I knows 'em when I sees 'em.

Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
LXIX here and I knew them.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Complete waste of time and energy unless you watch the Super Bowl.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I’m LXI yrs old

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
XXXVII here. Never had it all completely pinned down and the subtractive part of it always messes with me a bit, but yes.

quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Complete waste of time and energy unless you watch the Super Bowl.

I could give a flying shit about the Super Bowl. I love history, and it's not a waste of time.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Years are pretty easy. How many can express their birthday, or a current date, in Roman numerals?

Good question. I'm not sure I've seen that. Example?