SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roman numerals
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roman numerals Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I had a guess, and my format was jumbled, but correct otherwise.

Today: II・XIII・MMXX

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It kills me when an otherwise wonderful watch is festooned with that silly ancient cypher. I suppose some like it, because they still do it. Like Roman columns in front of a Ryan split level.

I do pretty well in the lower area, but the pile of numbers for 2015 would probably throw me.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’m XLVII so yeah, they’re no problem. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Age LXXX here. The NUNS made sure we never forgot Roman Numerals.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I am LXVIII YOA.

And for more fun, here’s a Roman Numeral calculator.

https://www.calculatorsoup.com...meral-calculator.php

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
LXLX

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LXIV

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
III years of high school Latin here...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
LXIII

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
Why do some clocks have IIII?

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustyblade:
LXLX

This is not right.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I taught myself as a kid because of the Van Halen MCMLXXXIV album. my older bro had that record I was only 10. About the same time my grandpa taught me to read his cuckoo clock that had Roman numerals. Then when I learned them In middle school I was already a step up. I’m XLV years old

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I'm LXXII.

Me too. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The next time I write a check to pay my HOA dues . . .

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Why do some clocks have IIII?

Originally they didn't do the - (minus) thing we do now, like IV in your example. Without googling I don't remember when they started. Probably before any clock you'd see was made...but technically I don't think it's incorrect, since whoever wrote the rules probably wrote them in Latin lol

I knew the system well when I was younger. Rusty now, but I'm only XXXVI.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldChimney:
Years are pretty easy. How many can express their birthday, or a current date, in Roman numerals?

I can.

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m L years old, and I know them.

Me too, born in MCMLXIX

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I’m XXXIX. Looking forward to turning XL in August. Much easier to write.

Yeah - learned them in school along with cursive and have no trouble reading or writing either one.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Kind of like the metric system to me, no use for them. But I do know them when I see them.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post