SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paging SC or Mars
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paging SC or Mars Login/Join 
Picture of Poacher
posted
I am in Newnan, GA and have discovered a wounded Redtail Hawk (I think). Coweta animal control does not catch animals, but gave me a number to a raptor guy named Dale and he is out of town. He said if I caught it I could call a group in Roswell to take it.

I don't mind giving it a try, but having no idea whet I am doing, I fear I will only injur the bird further, or he will kick my ass.

ANy suggestions?

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Im neither gentleman, but have worked with raptors and other types of birds.
What injuries do you observe this this bird to have (why do you think it’s injured?)?
That may help determine the method to collect it. Most raptors you want to grab the legs (from behind, some but not most will use their beak) so you don’t get damaged by the talons. You need to be fast, efficient, and effective. Have a darkened container (box) to put them in immediately for transport- minimize handling, and keep it dark and quiet to minimize stress.
You could also cover the entire bird with a dark towel and transfer it into a carrier that way, but keep track of where those talons are...
Best of luck..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
He was sitting on the hood of my truck, and when my dad and I came down the driveway in his truck, I saw him and stopped short. He just sat there until I started moving and then bailed off the side onto the ground
It looked like his right wing may have issues and the feathers on the right side of his chest were not laying flat.
I left him alone while waiting and went out about an hour ago and snuck around, but can not find him.
If I see him tomorrow I will see what I can do, but if successful, need something to do with him.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Monteen McCord is a member here and she runs Hawk Talk up in Holly Springs, GA, which is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to the keeping and caring of injured and orphaned birds of prey. Her phone number is on her website: https://hawktalk.org/

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Yes, Monteen is the person to contact.
Someone will have to bring the bird to her.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Get it to Monteen immediately.

I don't work with her anymore, but the absolute best chance it can possibly have is there.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
If I see him again and can catch, will do.
Thanks

NRA Life Member

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Heavy gloves and a towel.

Towel the bird, then glove the legs just above the talons.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post