SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wreck of Bonhomme Richard possibly discovered
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wreck of Bonhomme Richard possibly discovered Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“British satellite historians claim to have discovered the true location of an iconic American revolutionary ship which defeated the Royal Navy off the Yorkshire coast.

The famous vessel, the USS Bonhomme Richard, was the first US ship to beat the Royal Navy in British waters before she sank on September 24, 1779.

The location of the wreck has long been a mystery, but now a British satellite historian from Harrogate claims to have found it.

US revolutionary captain John Paul Jones had sailed the 20-gun converted former French ship along the English coast pillaging merchant vessels in the North Sea.

He eventually won the battle after reportedly responding to his British counterpart who asked if he was surrendering with the immortal line 'I have not yet begun to fight'…”

https://dailym.ai/2PB5R0z

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I am always struck by the truth in these two simple statements by two warriors whose behind the lines, balls out audacity were separated in time and allegiance...

quote:
Captain John Paul Jones, US Navy: It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not risk cannot win.

quote:
Lieutenant Colonel Sir Archibald David Stirling, DSO, OBE, Scots Guards: Who Dares Wins

I think they'd buy each other a pint.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Man, I bet the ship would be a bitch to get to. Every time I've heard something about archaeological exploration in those waters, the first thing they talk about is how tough conditions are there.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That ship is the US equivalent to HMS Victory, isn't it?

I believe there is an active ship in service with the USMC called the USS Bonhomme Richard?

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Bonhomme Richard was named by Jones in honor of Benjamin Franklin.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
that is so cool if they really found it. What a great find. Loved that video of the wreck!!

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
That ship is the US equivalent to HMS Victory, isn't it?
<snip>

Arguably, yes. From the linked article: “Mr Akers said the Bonhomme Richard was the equivalent to the HMS Victory in importance to US history.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That's kind of a bold statement to make. HMS Victory had a long, distinguished record. The BonHomme Richard, not so much. Yes, Jones had an awesome one-liner and yes, it was the first American victory over the English at sea (and in England's back yard no less), but still....the Richard got shredded during the battle, only the arrival of US reinforcements convinced the HMS Serapis to surrender, and the Richard sank shortly thereafter.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
That's kind of a bold statement to make. HMS Victory had a long, distinguished record. The BonHomme Richard, not so much. Yes, Jones had an awesome one-liner and yes, it was the first American victory over the English at sea (and in England's back yard no less), but still....the Richard got shredded during the battle, only the arrival of US reinforcements convinced the HMS Serapis to surrender, and the Richard sank shortly thereafter.

Proof that sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post