SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawyers, people who sleep at Holiday Inn: chime in on puppy purchase contract requiring a certain food being fed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawyers, people who sleep at Holiday Inn: chime in on puppy purchase contract requiring a certain food being fed Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That particular food will have no meaningful impact on whether or not the dog lives.

Buy the dog, feed it whatever you want, don't deal with the warranty, and everything is fine.

The likelihood that you'd need to warranty it is very small, no matter what food it eats.

Roll the dice. The potential cost of being wrong is low and worth it to avoid this nonsense.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I can't believe how difficult breeders can make it. We have an ABCA registered Border Collie, we picked her out, went back a month later to get her, some money changed hands and we left. A few weeks later the ABCA registration arrived. No contract, no hassle and 9 years later the breeder is still our friend!

If you are set on that dog, just forego the warranty. We always take new pets to a Vet for a checkup, be sure you have their approval to do this.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Find another breeder. Or better, go to the local shelter and find a puppy.

Amen to saving another dog.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would run. We brought our Australian cattle dog into our family a little over three years ago. The breeder of course informed us of the food they were feeding but never made mention of requiring it to be fed ongoing. Granted we bought a pet-quality dog without a contract. Had we decided on a working dog or show dog then maybe it would be different. Regardless, I cannot imagine signing something limiting us to the breeders choice in food.

Further, as noted, five years is a probably a worthless warranty anyhow. Unless the dog has major issues I doubt much will pop up with an Australian Sheppard in that time...provided care is taking in finding a good breeder to start with. Granted that's purely anecdotal evidence in my experience with dogs. I don't know all the health problems for that breed but I was under the impression they were longer-living dogs in general.

I personally would find a breeder with a working facility that the dogs are active on. I.e. herding livestock regularly. I would not buy a herding breed from someone who doesn't work the dogs. We ended up finding a ranch out in the middle of nowhere where our buddy was raised. He wasn't big enough and aggressive enough for working but was perfect for us. No boutique facility, no special contracts, no bs...just an awesome dog. In other words, find a place focused on working the dogs, not making a living breeding them.

Good luck.

PS - we feed Fromm's, since my family has had great luck with it for several breeds of dogs. :P

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I feed mine Fromm foods, too. Fantastic product, though a touch expensive compared to Happy Meals / Purina.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
The (almost) laughable part about breeder contracts is that in many instances, by the time you realize you have enough of a health issue to involve the breeder (and their contracted health guarantee), you're so attached to the dog or cat that you just can't fathom returning that family member to the breeder. And don't think they don't realize that you're feeling that way!

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I would pass on any purebred dog. I've never known anything but a purebred dog that has died really young. I've been lucky, all my dogs, purebred and mutt alike, have lived at least "normal" lifespans, but in general, the mutts have been healthier than the purebred dogs and have lived at least a year or more longer. I've had 3 mutts make it past their 13th birthday, and one past 14. My purebred dogs all made it to 12. The smallest of the dogs was my Beagle, who was the biggest one I've ever seen, about 40 pounds, the largest was my yellow Lab, about 95 pounds. These two were the shortest lived dogs I've had, both went just about at their 12th birthdays. I've had friends with many different purebred dogs that died very young, under 3, from heart issues, one Dobe had a brain tumor, and one dog had cancer. I have a friend who lost 4 Boxers (Stay away from purebred Boxers!) that died before the age of seven. Two had cancer, one had cardiomyopathy, and the other one had an intestinal ailment. Talk about bad luck!

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post