New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowling Balls Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Not sure I've seen this topic here, but what would be a good beginner men's bowling ball that someone could grow with. I roll the ball straight with two fingers and thumb. I'd like to be able to make it hook one day but it's not something that comes natural to me.

Something moderately priced that most shops should have hopefully.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I went with a Rhino back when I rolled. Haven't gone bowling in years though.

Have it drilled for fingertips, it's much easier to hook that way. Once you get the hook down you'll wonder how you ever rolled it straight.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Polyester ball goes pretty straight, most all major manufacturers make them. Not much difference between brands.
My advise is find a pro shop that takes time to listen to you and explain some of the differences in types of balls and types of drilling and fitting. The lanes you bowl on will work better with certain types of balls versus others. The pro shop operator should watch you bowl and then make recommendations.
A correctly fitted ball of the right material will really improve your game.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, the crucial part of the ball is how much weight. I think men automatically select the heaviest weight which is 16 pounds as it fits a "man." But I think you want one that is light enough for you to control in whatever direction you want to roll.

Physics will tell you the heavier the ball, the more energy you can impart but aiming and controlling it is better than getting the most mass.

And don't forget to get your own shoes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Sig operator and Rey HRH speak wisdom here, so I’ll reiterate and add a note.

1) Shoes first. Why? Because there will be nothing consistent about your approach unless your shoes fit properly and are comfy. Everything starts with your approach.

2) Ball selection is about surface material, weight, and core pattern. I’d actually suggest starting with a urethane ball. They’re only slightly more expensive than polyester balls and will allow you to develop your game more than a polyester ball (which is pretty much good for straight lines only). Polyester balls make great spare balls for that reason (meaning balls to pick up spares, not extra balls), but lousy primary balls for most bowlers. A good entry level urethane ball can still be found in the $50 neighborhood. Buy online for the best selection at the best prices. At the entry-level ball, there are always lots of sales to be had. The cores will be pancake or puck patterned at that level, which is what you want for now.

Weight is deceptive. You should throw the heaviest weight you’re comfortable with for the greatest pin action, but bear in mind that a properly drilled ball will feel quite a bit lighter in the swing than a crappy lane ball with a “good enough” fit and raggedy edged holes. If you can throw a 14 lb lane ball comfortably, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a 16 lb ball.

3) DO get the advice of your local pro. That’s what he’s there for. He should also be the one to drill your ball. Buy online, drill locally.

You’ll be surprised how much more fun you have (and how much your game improves) with your own shoes and ball(s).

Enjoy!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have done and seen just enough bowling to know that every high scorer hooks or even curves (one continuous curve from start to finish) the ball. It strikes the "pocket" (pins 1 and 2 for right-handed) at a more favorable angle.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
All I know is that Walter don’t roll on the Shabbas.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:

3) DO get the advice of your local pro.

Yep, go to the pro shop at the alley and tell them just what you said.

Bowling ball tech is ever changing... even when it isn't. They're like cars, every year there's a new model. Your best bet will be with something left over from a few years ago. You don't want to pay for the latest and greatest, nor will it help your scores or enjoyment.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
If you're serious about getting better then I would suggest taking lessons. If lessons are too much money then try to find a clinic, they're often cheaper but it's not one-on-one.

As already suggested go to a pro shop, a good pro shop guy can help get you started. And you don't need to go to the pro shop where you bowl, it took me a while to finally find the guy I go to now. A friend of mine drives an hour just to go to him because he's one of the few around that know how to drill a ball to the person.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to a pro and they will watch you throw a ball and give suggestions on which fits you the best.

The technology has come a long way and the new 15 lb balls perform very well.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I just happen to have a few 15# balls sitting around. Some snap, some arc. (arc is more predictable)
If this weight fits your game you are welcome to them for the cheapest shipping I can find BUT, they are about 12 years old and new tech comes out every month from the ball companies.
Doesn't mean they won't work, they will, *if* they fit your game. If you are interested, shoot me an email.
For free, it's a cheap experiment. Smile

I also have a pair of size 12 Linds Customs (all leather inside and out) that are free to whoever can use them. I don't bowl anymore and this stuff is sitting around doing nothing.
(these are the type that you can replace pucks in the sole and heel to adjust slide. Not like Dexter's that replace the whole sole/heel pad)

I also have a ball spinner but I don't think you are there yet. That's also available free to whoever might need one. Want to sand/polish a ball? This is the machine!
Sorry to derail your thread with a Karma type post but bowlers who read this may benefit...

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I went to a local pro shop that has been around a while (not at a lane) and they set me up with a good beginner setup for starting to throw a hook.

I got a 15lb Roto Grip Hustle HYB ball drilled to my hand, positioned however they though best.

As to shoes, I got some Dexter Turbo II shoes. They fit good but the grippy heel takes some getting used. It brakes a little too well when I lower it.

Thanks again.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I used to bowl regularly and LOVED it! But haven't rolled the ball in YEARS and my equipment is sure to be outdated. Is there any good advice on YouTube??

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a 200+ average in 3 different leagues every fall. I was a damned good league bowler, but the money bowlers were way out of my league. I gave it up when I tore up my shoulder, but I do miss it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post