SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who knows anything about wifi controlled smart plugs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who knows anything about wifi controlled smart plugs? Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
It's getting rather annoying walking around every night unplugging Christmas lights.

For cheap you can get the dial analog timers for an outlet.

However, for a few more dollars you can get a wifi controlled plug with timer.

Anyone have any experiences with these? All kinds of brands on Amazon. Was looking at the Wemo and TP Link brands. Not sure if the quality is universal even in the cheap ones.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We get by with the 3-pack of remote controlled plugs and the remote control.

There are already too many things running off of my router.

Posts: 1349 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
All my exterior Christmas lights run off two rotary timers, and the Christmas tree runs off a plug controlled by a small handheld remote. I don't need to over complicate an event that only lasts a few weeks out of the year.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
All my exterior Christmas lights run off two rotary timers, and the Christmas tree runs off a plug controlled by a small handheld remote. I don't need to over complicate an event that only lasts a few weeks out of the year.

This^ Life is complicated enough . . .

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
We have a bunch of the GE branded Z-wave outlets and light switches. We use them to control exterior lights as well as interior outlets. Haven't had any issues- they work great for our intended uses. I installed 2 Summers ago. Bought some through amazon, some at local store, pricing was pretty consistent at the time. I started with two, then kept buying more and more as I saw the various things I could use them for and control.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several TP-Link HS-105 smart plugs. I have them at home and recently purchased some for work to control the office coffee pot/service, lobby Christmas tree lights, Cafeteria TV's, etc.

They are wi-fi, so no need for some other type of hub.

Super simple and can do a lot from the TP-Link Kasa App (on/off, schedules, random events to simulate you are home while you are not, etc.).

I recommend them.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I would use them for the Christmas tree at home and then move it to an outlet with a table lamp so I can turn it on if I'm not going to be home until late or if the kids forget to turn it on when they leave, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

Well, I was planning on probably using them for other things after Christmas is over.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
just went to Amazon, there are a lot of options, some pretty good packages, some work with alexa and google home, others off the phone.

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife bought one remote with 3 plugs last Christmas. Lost one of them between last season and this one. For Christmas lights it is pure genius. Right up there with the prelit tree that has a foot switch on/off. Only thing better for the lights is the battery pack with a timer built in. I don't even go outside anymore. Win.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
We have a couple Echo Dots (please don’t turn this into a tin-foil-hat thread), and use the TP Link WiFi bulbs, switches, and plugs. They’re easy to set up, and I set up groups of devices so that I can pretty much turn every light on/off with one voice command.

The plugs work well for seasonal decoration, but I don’t like using them for lamps. I want the lamp switch to behave normally.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I bought one several years ago for the same purpose. It’s a persnickety little thing that has to use 3rd party apps to operate and can be a pain sometimes. But when it works it’s great. I can program it or control It direct from my phone, anywhere.

When it’s nky Christmas time I have it running a pair of box fans secured in very high upstairs windows. They do an admirable job of being a poor man’s whole house fan.

When I bought it there were NO other affordable options that stand alone. I’ve seen that there are many options now so I expect current models work better.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of TP-link plugs and switches.
I use Amazon Alexa to control them with my voice.
The can also be worked manually. The need WiFi to work with their Kasa app.
They work great if the Amazon cloud is working. Their servers are in the Amazon cloud.
They also work with google Home for voice and remote control.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sig2392...

It is my understanding that if you are in your home, on your wifi with your phone/tablet, you do not go through the Kasa servers. You can test this by logging out of your Kasa account. Then re-open the app, you should see "local only" control (for the switches, maybe not bulbs, I use LifX bulbs so I do not know for sure).

I do not use any of my automation with Alexa, Dot or Google Home (I don't own any of those devices).

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I use some old X10 goods for my Christmas lighting. Www.x10.com

God bless America.

Posts: 13482 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Last night I set up my new WiFi plugs. The brand is WiOn. I got them off of amazon for about $28/plug.

They were easy to set up and work just as expected. I can now turn my Christmas lights on/off from my phone from anywhere.

So far very happy with the purchase.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My tree lights are controlled via my Smartthings hub. I use this plug....

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton...B/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

I use a couple of these to control my deck lights and gazebo lights.

My lights come on at sunset minus 45 minutes and shut off at 11 pm if I am home.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have one of these that controls an electric space heater. $15 on Amazon.

Ankuoo Neo

Works great, never had an issue with it, I've had it unplugged for a while plugged it back in and it synced right back up with the app on my phone and on my wife's phone.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sams Club and Costco both have a three pack of plugs for around $40. I don't recall the brand at Costco right off hand but I recall that it works with Google or Alexa. Sams sells the iHome brand and it works with Alexa, google, or Apple Home Kit. I bought the iHome brand recently and use it with Apple Home Kit. The app that comes with the product is not rated very highly but I don't use their app since I am using Apple Home Kit. Super easy to set up with Home Kit and I can control everything with any apple iOS device in the house and they all stay synced up when devices are added or schedules are added or modified. Like all my Apple devices it is easy to set up and just always works like it should. But I am an all Apple house so your milage may vary.

One cool feature of Home Kit is if you have a friend or family member come to stay for awhile and they have an iPhone, you can "invite" them to the control group with a special text message and then their Home Kit on their phone syncs and gains access and control to all your devices.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the TP-link that were on sale on Black Friday for like $12. I can say 'Alexa, turn the fucking tree on' and the lights come on.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is my understanding that if you are in your home, on your wifi with your phone/tablet, you do not go through the Kasa servers. You can test this by logging out of your Kasa account. Then re-open the app, you should see "local only" control (for the switches, maybe not bulbs, I use LifX bulbs so I do not know for sure).

I do not use any of my automation with Alexa, Dot or Google Home (I don't own any of those devices).

That is how it works but you lose remote control if you are not on your local wifi.

Logged into KASA you can use any wifi or cellular network to control the equipment.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post