SIGforum
Who knows anything about wifi controlled smart plugs?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9000051434

December 05, 2017, 08:32 PM
arcwelder
Who knows anything about wifi controlled smart plugs?
I have tried a number of brands, and I will heartily endorse:

WeMo

I got mine from Home Depot, I have several plug-ins, and one hardwired that controls the front step lights.

They have been reliable going on about 3 years, and are easily adjusted.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

December 05, 2017, 09:35 PM
bozman
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
That is how it works but you lose remote control if you are not on your local wifi.

Logged into KASA you can use any wifi or cellular network to control the equipment.

Correct. I was just pointing out that if you are on your wi-fi, you are not reliant on anyone else's servers.

I typically put everything on timers and schedules. I rarely have to manipulate the switches using the Kasa App unless I am changing a schedule. In this example, I don't need the Kasa servers to be up, just my home wi-fi.

I have not found the need to turn on or off lights/gadgets while not at home unless I am showing off the system to my friends (turning stuff on and off while looking at a live feed using my new IP home security cameras).

If you really want to have some fun, consider playing with IFTTT or 3rd party apps. I just started playing with IFTTT and now my outside lights come on when I pull in the driveway if I get home before the lights are scheduled to come on (I have tried using both location services on my phone indicating that I am arriving home and when the phone connects to my home wi-fi, both of which work nicely).

The best part about the switches is that if they go tits up, I just unplug them and go back to normal operation of toggling the light switch.

I have started looking at replacing some wall switches as well, but I have several 3-way switches that I would like to replace with wi-fi enable TP-Link switches. These are not easy to replace and you lose some functionality of 1 of the 2 switches. There are some hacks online, but I am hopeful that TP-Link, Wemo or someone else comes out with a switch that natively supports/replaces 3-way switches.

The "Boz"
December 05, 2017, 09:48 PM
TKO
I use Tuya. The downside is the plugs are round and are large enough that they render the 2nd outlet useless.

They work fine, and interoperate with Echo fine. They come with an app too for Android and Apple.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein
December 06, 2017, 02:43 AM
Minnow
The TP-Link plugs have worked great for me. The Kasa app makes it simple to control them individually or with groups. In the last 3 years I had one of the TP-Link plugs loose its WiFi connection. Simply unplugging it and plugging it back in resolved the issue. These go on sale regularly on Amazon.

"Prepared in mind and resources"
December 06, 2017, 05:12 AM
r0gue
I have tons of em. I live in a very "lamp-lit" house. I like the TP-Link that sells on Amazon. The app is great. They are cheap. They work VERY well. I use Amazon Echo voice control with it. That also works amazingly well, but one doesn't have to do that. The app is fine to allow you to keep the NSA out of your living room. Wink

December 06, 2017, 08:49 AM
henryaz
quote:
Originally posted by Some Shot:
We get by with the 3-pack of remote controlled plugs and the remote control.

There are already too many things running off of my router.

Same here, too much on the network already without adding little things that can be hacked, potentially.

I use the EtekCity remotes, which use an RF signal for control. Some of the sets are simply 3 separate remotes and a controller, not programmable. Other sets have controllers with 5 sets of buttons, and you can buy with just 3 remotes to start and add later, and program in, or you can simply buy all 5 remotes to start with. These can program one set of buttons to control multiple remotes simultaneously if you wish.

December 06, 2017, 09:16 PM
kx90
Thanks for all the info Smile

I like the idea of the smart light switch too. Because again, the kids like to leave and not turn the front door light on for me Smile
December 07, 2017, 07:16 AM
bozman
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
I have started looking at replacing some wall switches as well, but I have several 3-way switches that I would like to replace with wi-fi enable TP-Link switches. These are not easy to replace and you lose some functionality of 1 of the 2 switches. There are some hacks online, but I am hopeful that TP-Link, Wemo or someone else comes out with a switch that natively supports/replaces 3-way switches.

Gents...

I got a Kasa App update this morning indicating the app will be supporting the TP-Link HS210.

The HS210 is a 3-way, wi-fi enabled light switch.

This is the answer to my wishes from my previous post above. I am so glad I did not try to "rig" the standard switch to work as a 3-way.

YAY!!

The "Boz"