SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cowboy Boots, Socks & Cold Weather
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cowboy Boots, Socks & Cold Weather Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I know my fellow Sigforumites are always on the prowl for A Better Sock. And many of you, like me, like cowboy boots. So I thought I'd share some recent discoveries.

Normally, when really cold weather arrives, I ditch the cowboy boots and switch to hiking boots with a bit more room in the box (for thicker socks) and with lugged soles (for traction).

This year it wasn't necessary. Courtesy of a friend I discovered these Dan Post boots: Dan Post Albuquerque Waterproof Boot. They're waterproof, have a micro-lugged sole and the heel's not quite so high as most cowboy boots.

I size my cowboy boots to work with plain old white over-the-calf cotton athletic socks. So how to keep my tootsies warm when it gets cold?

Icebreaker Merino Ski + Light Over The Calf Socks to the rescue!

Even in the ±0°F temperatures we've been getting here, or in the teens and out clearing snow, my feet have stayed warm & dry. Plus no slip-and-slide Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
How are the socks compared to Darn Tough Socks?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Nice finds!

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing either Lacrosse or Darn Tough over the calf socks. May have to try those for the next pair. I machine wash and hang my socks to air dry, seems to make the elastic last longer.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I wear Dan Post over-the-calf socks - so far they've been great but they do seem to break a lot of elastics

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I have never tried Darn Tough socks. Do they have a version that are about the same thickness as common cotton athletic socks, over-the-calf, and are warmer than cotton athletic socks?

quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
I machine wash and hang my socks to air dry, seems to make the elastic last longer.

My "good socks," like these, are machine washed cold, partially dried in the dryer, then laid out to finish drying.

Oh, here's a Neat Thing about these socks I did not realize until I received the first pair: They're foot-specific. That's right: There is a left foot sock and a right foot sock. And they're labelled "L" and "R" Smile

They fit really comfortably.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ You have to buy two pair, if you have two left feet. Big Grin

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I have never tried Darn Tough socks. Do they have a version that are about the same thickness as common cotton athletic socks, over-the-calf, and are warmer than cotton athletic socks?

quote:
Originally posted by hvyhawler:
I machine wash and hang my socks to air dry, seems to make the elastic last longer.

My "good socks," like these, are machine washed cold, partially dried in the dryer, then laid out to finish drying.

Oh, here's a Neat Thing about these socks I did not realize until I received the first pair: They're foot-specific. That's right: There is a left foot sock and a right foot sock. And they're labelled "L" and "R" Smile

They fit really comfortably.

Those the ones that have TGIF printed on them? Toes Go In First?

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
here's a Neat Thing about these socks I did not realize until I received the first pair: They're foot-specific. That's right: There is a left foot sock and a right foot sock. And they're labelled "L" and "R" Smile
That kills V-Tail's Simplified Approach To Sock Management. Frown

When I find socks that I like, I buy them by the dozen. Identical. This eliminates the post-laundry sorting and pairing. I just toss them all into an organizer box in the sock drawer. Then, when I dress in the morning, I just grab two socks out of the box. This won't work with left / right specific socks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post