SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Obamacare Replacement by GOP
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obamacare Replacement by GOP Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I am not so sure about that Bama...

For months all anyone has been talking about is that the Senate will use reconciliation and will only require a majority to move this thing.

You know, the same way they got it through the Senate the first time.

I cannot give sources from where I am at right now, but I have heard this more than once out of McConnell and several of the radio and TV talking heads.

If that is the case, then why not go for it?

And if they need 60 votes, then do you really think that phase II or III will get the votes needed if phase I passes? No, they will not if we follow your reasoning.

The long and short of it is, voters voted for 2 things in this election. The supreme court and O'Care. I don't think achieving 1 of the 2 is enough for a second term or to gain a 60 vote majority in the senate in 2018.

Last point and then I am bailing out... If they use this phased approached and are relying on the rule making authority of the HHS to round this out and get to what was promised (if the future phases cannot get the votes needed), then all of the important stuff can again be reversed without having votes or a majority by the next Dem administration.

No hard feelings or malice, just voicing my opinion and frustration...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Trump campaigned on preserving the requirement that people with preexisting conditions be able to get coverage. That's not insurance - that's third-party payment. Unfortunately, it seems like the ship has sailed on that argument and now it is written in stone that pre-existing conditions are covered.

Part of the problem with PEC has developed along with improved testing and diagnostic techniques. It used to be that you may be denied coverage because you had actually suffered a heart attack in the past. Now, pre-existing includes elevated cholesterol, elevated A1c, pre-hypertension, etc. The ease of testing along with tighter limits makes dang near everyone pre-something by the time they are 40. The day is not far off when genetic testing might label you as a heart attack risk the day you are born.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Last year i had a kidney stone and went to the E.R. to get treatment. I forgot my insurance card and the clerk advised me as she tried to verify my insurance that the MRI would cost $3100. It would only be $700 if I had no insurance and had to pay cash.

Why do we allow hospitals to gouge insurance companies which In turn jack up their rates and gouge us?

I experienced the same thing doctor bill was cut in half if I paid the bill myself....if insurance payed full amount. I purpose government allow me a health savings account tax free. I pay a the doctor's bill the insurance company reimburse me 10% over what I payed the doctor, minus my elected deductible I gain 10% on my money put it back into my account, insurance company saves, the doctor gets paid Immediately with no paper hassle. On my death the money is transferred to my heirs health account tax fee

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
I am not so sure about that Bama...

For months all anyone has been talking about is that the Senate will use reconciliation and will only require a majority to move this thing.

You know, the same way they got it through the Senate the first time.

I'll explain.

They could repeal Obamacare with a majority only.

They can modify Obamacare with a simple majority because of the budget reconciliation.

They cannot replace Obamacare with a simple majority, it will require 60 votes in the Senate, like the original bill did.

This current bill is to modify Obamacare as outlined in the summary on the first page of this thread - dropping the mandate and the other things already discussed, which will require a simple majority in the Senate.

If the bill were completely repealed and you started with a blank slate, you would have to get 60 votes for any legislation to replace it (which is not possible).

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
Trump campaigned on preserving the requirement that people with preexisting conditions be able to get coverage. That's not insurance - that's third-party payment. Unfortunately, it seems like the ship has sailed on that argument and now it is written in stone that pre-existing conditions are covered.

Part of the problem with PEC has developed along with improved testing and diagnostic techniques. It used to be that you may be denied coverage because you had actually suffered a heart attack in the past. Now, pre-existing includes elevated cholesterol, elevated A1c, pre-hypertension, etc. The ease of testing along with tighter limits makes dang near everyone pre-something by the time they are 40. The day is not far off when genetic testing might label you as a heart attack risk the day you are born.

That is a good point MNSIG, the estimated number of Americans with a pre existing condition is > than 50 million .MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay... Then if modifying for reconciliation purposes, then why not include all of the other provisions from day 1, like being able to purchase across state lines? If we are simply modifying it, then modify the damn thing and not leave so much open to speculation and wondering what the future holds?

Is there a rule like when you remodel vs rebuild a house? Do they have to leave the roof in place, 1 wall standing or 1 stud standing for it to be a modification? How much of the law needs to remain as is?

I would have at least thrown in portability, HSA's and lifting the state purchasing/selling boundaries.

Okay... Really, I am done now.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other end of this discussion is one nobody wants to talk about. Lifetime limits, especially at the end of life. There's no question that premiums could be lower if the insurance company's exposure was capped. Are we (individually or as a society) willing to give up the "do everything you can" mentality and accept that a person is going to be given pain meds and allowed to die rather than undergo treatment to prolong their life? In some cases, hundreds of thousands of dollars can be spent to "buy" a few months or years of relatively miserable time.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
The legal mandate is gone, but there is still a penalty for noncontinuous coverage. Economically, how is that any different?

It appears to be a distinction without a meaningful difference.

Potato vs potahto.

We'll see soon enough.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
well I'm glad the mandate is gone and I do think the bill is better. I am very happy to hear that Trump called this bill a "negotiation." I am glad this is now in the open and our legislators can debate it in the open unlike Obama care. I am glad tho hear the freedom caucus is also promising to release their own bill soon. Trump is in charge... let the negotiations begin!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
The legal mandate is gone, but there is still a penalty for noncontinuous coverage. Economically, how is that any different?

It appears to be a distinction without a meaningful difference.

Potato vs potahto.

We'll see soon enough.

The way I read it, there is only a penalty if you try to get coverage after you are sick.

In other words, you can go 20 years without having health insurance and have no penalty at all, but if you break a leg in year 21 and then decide to buy coverage, you'll incur a penalty then for not maintaining continuous coverage.

Unless I'm wrong....

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
^ maybe so. I look forward to seeing how the details shake out.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
No Employer Mandate. That's the big one for me.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
If the bill were completely repealed and you started with a blank slate, you would have to get 60 votes for any legislation to replace it (which is not possible).
Yes, 'if' you play the game by the rules the cowardly, worthless Repub's play by. 'Or', you could play by a different set of rules....
  • Step 1 - Repeal BarryCare. Those currently on it can stay in their plans through 2020, at which point the ACA is history. Done with 51 votes.
  • Step 2 - Bill allowing purchasing of HC across state lines, tax credits for HSA's, and 26 year olds to stay on parents coverage. Let the Dem's try and oppose it and crucify them daily if 10 of them don't get on board.
  • Step 3 - All the other changes, which interestingly enough, should come up for a vote right around November 2018.
Stop playing the damn game by the old rules which are proven to fail. Play the game like the Dem's do, and drive this thing through their hearts once and for all while adding to majorities in 2018.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bigdeal,

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It's still total BULLCRAP for the age 26 provision. Get your ass outta your parent's basement and get a friggin' job. Oh.....you got a B.S. in Underwater Basket Weaving (or some such other totally useless degree like "Gender Studies Roll Eyes)?? Too friggin' bad. Grow the hell up!!! Mad

And I agree wholeheartedly with Eric Bolling's comment today when he was on Outnumbered (lucky man) when he stated "The Republicans have had SIX YEARS to come up with a replacement plan and THIS is what they come up with?!?!?" He pretty much called it Obamacare 2.0 rather than ObamacareLite. I'm equally frustrated so far...

At least I can call it Trumpcare now, to avoid using "that name". Smile

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It's still total BULLCRAP for the age 26 provision.

I'm not arguing the societal value of being on your own, but having young healthy individuals in the pool because their parents are paying the bill is better than having them uninsured.

Whether parents choose to pay for their insurance, their food or their rent is a personal choice that has no negative impact on the topic at hand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The way I read it, there is only a penalty if you try to get coverage after you are sick.

In other words, you can go 20 years without having health insurance and have no penalty at all, but if you break a leg in year 21 and then decide to buy coverage, you'll incur a penalty then for not maintaining continuous coverage.

Medicare uses this method of encouragement and it's quite effective.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
It's still total BULLCRAP for the age 26 provision. Get your ass outta your parent's basement and get a friggin' job. Oh.....you got a B.S. in Underwater Basket Weaving (or some such other totally useless degree like "Gender Studies Roll Eyes)?? Too friggin' bad. Grow the hell up!!! Mad

I agree that most kids should probably be on their own and responsible for themselves by age 22 or 23 or so... but not all are.
I have a 21 year old who is still on our health insurance. She's getting a mechanical engineering degree, not some worthless degree, but she may go to grad school. Not sure yet.

Of course, I don't think it should be mandated by government. If an employer wants to offer that, then fine. It should be between the employer and the employee how long coverage continues for dependents.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24056 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
You can go to "readthebill.gop" and download the bill.

Ok, I can't make heads or tails of it. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The 'conservative' republicans making all the noise on this today damn well better have an alternative that can pass both houses of Congress or they will be obliterated at the ballot box. They are treading on very dangerous ground. I will be absolutely furious if they shoot this down and then end up putting up some bill that has no chance and we are stuck with Obamacare.

If they think Trump will sit idly by while they botch this up, they better wake up.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
Why nit just repealobamacare and ket it go back the it was before?

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post