SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Obamacare Replacement by GOP
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obamacare Replacement by GOP Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that supposed to be a joke?

Here is the letter as provided by Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com..._for_Information.pdf

one could certainly argue this should be treated as a joke even though the U.N. sent the letter

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.a3f410eba4e5

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I know I have said this before but....

1. None of these does anything about the cost of healthcare, they just rearrange who is paying for it.
2. The status quo pre-Obamacare was bad as well.
3. The elephant in the room is the fact that medical insurance is a tax free benefit.

You want to see healthcare costs go down, separate health insurance from employment.
1. Take away the tax deduction for employers and the tax free status of employer provided insurance benefits for employees.
2. Tax credits (for individuals) for HSA's and purchasing your own insurance. Let people decide what they want to do with their own money.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24044 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is the letter as provided by Washington Post:https://www.washingtonpost.com..._for_Information.pdfone could certainly argue this should be treated as a joke even though the U.N. sent the letter

That document read like a Nigerian email scam message.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Is is just me, or did the UN letter completely fail to explain how OCare is the "highest attainable level of health care"? And does this mean that any country with a national health system would be prohibited from streamlining, reconfiguring or otherwise improving that system if doing so would involve a break in any services provided?

Or did the UN just assume that it knows whats best for Americans?

Because, you know, this is supposed to be a "legal" argument under whatever international law happens to be relevant and effective and all.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Unless imbedded in a ratified treaty, there are no "International Laws" that I think the USA is required to obey. The UN can go pound sand.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^^ Is that supposed to be a joke?
Exactly. Place copies of that five page memo in each of the White House bathrooms so it can fulfill its best use.

Let's hope the Repubs have grown a set this time around and get it right. I do not want to see the president lose round two because of more cowardice and screw ups.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Democrats Suck....

Democrats Take Government Hostage: Threaten To Shut It Down If GOP Repeals Obamacare

Once again Republicans have managed to box themselves in.

Just as the GOP has reportedly found enough votes among conservative Republicans to pass the latest iteration of the proposed Healthcare bill, with Freedom Caucus Mark Meadows saying "republicans will have the votes to pass" Obamacare repeal, Democrats realized that they once again have the leverage to bring this whole process to a grinding halt halt. And they are using it.

As The Hill reports, House Democrats will oppose any short-term spending bill - which is what McConnell was hoping on passing to buy one week of time - if Republican leaders attempt to expedite an ObamaCare repeal bill this week, Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) warned Thursday. In other words, Democrats are now holding the government hostage indefinitely as long as Republicans - who now have the votes to pass new healthcare legislation - threaten to repeal Obamacare.

Hoyer, the Democratic whip, spoke with House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif) Thursday morning to warn him of the Democrats' position. "If Republicans announce their intention to bring their harmful TrumpCare bill to the House Floor tomorrow or Saturday, I will oppose a one-week Continuing Resolution and will advise House Democrats to oppose it as well,” Hoyer said in an email.

“Republicans continue to struggle to find the votes to pass a bill that will kick 24 million Americans off their health coverage, allow discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions, and impose an age tax on older Americans. That's why they are trying to jam it through the House before their Members can hear from the American people this weekend about their opposition to this horrible legislation.”

"If Republicans pursue this partisan path of forcing Americans to pay more for less and destabilizing our county's health care system — without even knowing how much their bill will cost — Republicans should be prepared to pass a one-week Continuing Resolution on their own,” Hoyer said.

As the Hill adds, the threat is significant because GOP leaders will likely need Democratic votes to pass a short-term spending bill in the face of opposition from conservatives historically opposed to government funding bills. Even Trump has chimed in... again.

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

As families prepare for summer vacations in our National Parks - Democrats threaten to close them and shut down the government. Terrible!

Ironically, as long as the GOP was split internally, and appeared it did not have enough votes to repeal Obamacare, the government shutdown was a negligible risk. However now that Democrats have realized that the new bill may just pass, they are using the biggest leverage they have: holding one-week continuing resolutions indefinitely, in the process assuring that Republicans may never be able to pass Obamacare repeal, with the government being funded on a week-by-week basis only as long as the GOP agrees not to pass such a vote.

The Democrats’ move comes as bipartisan negotiators in both chambers are getting closer to an agreement on an omnibus spending bill to prevent a government shutdown. If Congress doesn’t act before midnight Friday night, much of the federal government would shut down.

How this particular impasse will be resolved remains unclear.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...ses-obamacare-repeal

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24044 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

"If Republicans pursue this partisan path of forcing Americans to pay more for less and destabilizing our county's health care system — without even knowing how much their bill will cost ..." Hoyer said.

Boy, that's rich coming from a commie democrat... Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Democrats Suck....
Yes
quote:
Democrats Take Government Hostage: Threaten To Shut It Down If GOP Repeals Obamacare

Once again Republicans have managed to box themselves in.
Uh, 'no'. Repub's will only lose on this issue if they opt not to fight, so I guess you might be right. However, that doesn't include the 'X-Factor', President Trump. Something tells me he won't sit the sidelines on this one while the GOP hides under their desks.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I know I have said this before but....

1. None of these does anything about the cost of healthcare, they just rearrange who is paying for it.
2. The status quo pre-Obamacare was bad as well.
3. The elephant in the room is the fact that medical insurance is a tax free benefit.

You want to see healthcare costs go down, separate health insurance from employment.
1. Take away the tax deduction for employers and the tax free status of employer provided insurance benefits for employees.
2. Tax credits (for individuals) for HSA's and purchasing your own insurance. Let people decide what they want to do with their own money.

you want to see the cost of healthcare go down?

here's an idea

tort reform, eliminate jackpot medicine and cap medical malpractice payouts to reasonable numbers and have reasonable premiums

healthcare is just fine

medical practices and procedures are fine

its the lawyers that have fucked it up

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Since the Administration decides what parts of the government to "shut down" if funding is not available, there is no reason to single out the National Parks for it--better to shut down the DEA or DOE.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please take Twitter away from him. He is claiming the Democrats are trying to shut down the national parks, while he just signed an order trying to find a way to drill for oil and mine for coal in current national monuments (by removing their status).

Arches, Bryce, and several other national parks in Utah started as national monuments. (If you've not been, you should go, by the way).

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Please take Twitter away from him.
Why don't you do it?

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
House Republican leaders on Thursday delayed a vote on their Obamacare repeal bill until next week at the earliest

http://www.politico.com/story/...-repeal-votes-237685

Speaker Paul Ryan and his top lieutenants decided during a late-night huddle in the Capitol that they still do not have the votes to pass the stalled health-care legislation. At least 15 House Republicans remain solidly opposed to the bill, with another 20 leaning no or still undecided, according to GOP lawmakers and aides.

House Republicans can only lose 22 votes.

Posts: 19558 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Republicans Fail In Second Attempt To Repeal Obamacare

If Trump was hoping to at least vote on Obamacare repeal before his first 100 days are up, he was up for more disappointment.

Late on Thursday night, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy confirmed that, as expected, the GOP leadership would not bring up a revised ObamaCare repeal bill to the floor this week, after it became clear Thursday night that the 216 GOP votes needed to pass the healthcare bill had not materialized. At least 21 Republicans had come out against the bill, with many more undecided. Leaders can only afford 22 GOP defections.

After a two-hour meeting in Speaker Paul Ryan office in the Capitol, McCarthy told reporters that the GOP had again failed to whip enough support for the bill: "we are not voting on healthcare tomorrow or Sunday."

He promptly then downplayed the adverse healthcare development, saying leaders had been discussing the short-term stopgap funding bill to avert a government shutdown. “We’ve been making great progress, and when we have the votes we’ll vote on it."

Just not yet.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...mpt-repeal-obamacare

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
You know... I am sick of all of this and am done with anyone who is employed by the federal government and is involved in making or signing law.

Repeal the damn ACA like was promised. Use the nuclear option and nuke it if you have to.

I don't care if some "poor kid" living in a home with 2 cars in the driveway, 6 cell phones, 4 TV's, etc. get's something that is expensive to treat and may die. Shit happens. That family should pay for it, find a way to raise the money on their own or find a charitable (non .gov) organization that can help. If they can't then the kid dies. It happens every damn day regardless of the law or how much money can be thrown at doctors/hospitals.

Same for poor destitute granny, Jose the lawbreaking illegal alien, me, my wife or anyone else.

Keep them comfortable with cheap painkillers until they pass, give that person a humane way of ending it if they wish, and for the survivors, move on.

When it appears my time is close, I am ending it cleanly with a handful of pills and a DNR.

I really just don't care anymore.

And thank you freedom caucus for at least trying to keep your word. You've done more than most.

Oh, and stop taking tax money from me on the promises of taking care of me in the future (medicare, social security, etc.). I don't want or need you to take care of me.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
You know... I am sick of all of this and am done with anyone who is employed by the federal government and is involved in making or signing law.

Repeal the damn ACA like was promised. Use the nuclear option and nuke it if you have to.

I don't care if some "poor kid" living in a home with 2 cars in the driveway, 6 cell phones, 4 TV's, etc. get's something that is expensive to treat and may die. Shit happens. That family should pay for it, find a way to raise the money on their own or find a charitable (non .gov) organization that can help. If they can't then the kid dies. It happens every damn day regardless of the law or how much money can be thrown at doctors/hospitals.

Same for poor destitute granny, Jose the lawbreaking illegal alien, me, my wife or anyone else.

Keep them comfortable with cheap painkillers until they pass, give that person a humane way of ending it if they wish, and for the survivors, move on.

When it appears my time is close, I am ending it cleanly with a handful of pills and a DNR.

I really just don't care anymore.

And thank you freedom caucus for at least trying to keep your word. You've done more than most.

Oh, and stop taking tax money from me on the promises of taking care of me in the future (medicare, social security, etc.). I don't want or need you to take care of me.

Yes Sir, a coupon for a rectal thermometer and a Gofund me page it is!

Posts: 7 | Registered: April 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
I had coffee today with a MD. Friend of mine , he told me the Freedom Caucus health plan was a coupon for a rectal thermometer and a GoFundMe page

quote:

I take it you are not really in favor of getting the government out of healthcare...

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
Midwest Guy1...

Not sure if that was a crack on my comments or agreement.

There is absolutely no justification for the government to be involved with my healthcare or to expect me to provide for the healthcare of others.

This is not complicated.

I know what I am “sharing” here doesn’t mean dick and won’t change a thing, but I am going to continue to voice my opinion and frustrations as long as I am permitted to do so.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1531 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Midwest Guy1:
It's probably a good idea as a new member to make yourself understood- effective communication and all that.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post