SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The problem with collecting motorcycles verses guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The problem with collecting motorcycles verses guns Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I have discovered the main issue with collecting motorcycles verses guns. It is exceedingly easy to hide a new Glock or Sig in the safe. Especially the Glocks because to my wife they all look the same. It is NOT nearly as easy to conceal a new "undocumented/unapproved" moto purchase. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I agree. It's far easier to get away with, "What new gun, Pumpkin?" than to get away with, "What new motorcycle, Pumpkin?"

Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has no idea how many guns I have. She wouldn't notice the difference between a desert eagle or a hi point. The biggest problem is trying to slip in a $500 purchase vs a $5000 purchase. I can't get away with that.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
It IS more difficult to conceal a motorcycle so I don't even try any more. Sometimes when I change bikes she doesn't notice, and I see no reason to bother telling her. It helps when they're a similar type and color such as when I traded this 2012 BMW GSA...

...on this 2014 GSAw. She was in the motorcycle room a number of times and never noticed the change.

Really as far as motorcycles or guns she doesn't care what I buy as long as it's my personal money.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
It IS more difficult to conceal a motorcycle so I don't even try any more. Sometimes when I change bikes she doesn't notice, and I see no reason to bother telling her. It helps when they're a similar type and color such as when I traded this 2012 BMW GSA...

...on this 2014 GSAw. She was in the motorcycle room a number of times and never noticed the change.

Really as far as motorcycles or guns she doesn't care what I buy as long as it's my personal money.

It impresses me when someone mentions their motorcycle room. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I solve the problem by not keeping the bikes all in one place, and having mostly Triumphs - she can't tell the difference :-)

1964 TR6R
1965 T120TT Bonneville
1966 T120R Bonneville - two of 'em
1967 TR6C
1967 T100R Daytona
1968 T120R Bonneville - owned since new
1969 T120R Bonneville
2006 T100 Scrambler
2007 T100 Bonneville
2009 T100 50th Anniversary Bonneville
2009 T100 Bonneville

1963 BSA Goldie
1966 Bultaco Metisse Pursang Mk1

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
My dad has this problem, but with cars.

I may or may not have prodded him over the years to get into collecting something that, even when the collection is complete, will all fit in one room.

Not a warehouse or an airplane hanger, but a room...

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ridewv, brilliant! To the untrained eye those two BMWs look the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I have discovered the main issue with collecting motorcycles verses guns. It is exceedingly easy to hide a new Glock or Sig in the safe. Especially the Glocks because to my wife they all look the same. It is NOT nearly as easy to conceal a new "undocumented/unapproved" moto purchase. Big Grin

No, you've got it wrong.

The correct answer to the question " ... is that another new bike? .."

is

"No, honey, I had this one repainted. Wanna go for a ride?"

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
All my bikes are red. Makes swapping easy.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Storage and Transportation, too.

Carting a dozen guns over to a buddy's ranch to have fun is small, light, and easy.

Carting a dozen (or even four) bikes around is a different matter entirely.

And Safes... imagine needing a safe to fit all of your bikes...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what Jay Leno's wife says when he brings home a new toy?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Hah! My dad has this problem with lawnmowers. It isn't unusual for me to come home and find a "new" old one sitting under my carport while he tries to figure out where he's gonna stash it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
It impresses me when someone mentions their motorcycle room. Smile

Jim

I'm not even married and I don't have a motorcycle room. Impressive. Big Grin

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just take her to that storage place of yours and tell her, "Honey, look at all these nice bikes this dealer has". Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a guy who worked in our plant that fixed bikes on the side. He lived about 35 miles from me, so I never really went over there.
After we both retired I went to a motorcycle show.
It was at a county fairgrounds and he rented one of the buildings. He had 30 motorcycles in that building. I told him I knew he had a few bikes, but not that many. He said he had another 20 at home yet.
Two is my limit and I would like to sell one of those.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
My wife has no idea how many guns I have. She wouldn't notice the difference between a desert eagle or a hi point. The biggest problem is trying to slip in a $500 purchase vs a $5000 purchase. I can't get away with that.

Or a $20,000 purchase..
Good thing my wife & I keep our money separate!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are good for my marriage. I show my wife that so and so has four motorcycles, someone else has 10. I have one. Nothing over the top about me. Cannon in the yard, two tractors, two trucks, eh, so what?

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Guitars and the boxes they come in are very hard to hide too.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny. For many years I stored bikes in a garage attached to my house so my wife could periodically look at them. We've moved since and they are in a separate building so this doesn't matter any longer. But during that time I only bought red motorcycles. She would have instantly noticed a new color, but quantity was a bit elusive.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post