Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warm socks Login/Join 
posted
Well, after years of looking, I might have found some warm socks.

I have merino wool socks, different brands. They have done an OK job, but I still thought there was something better, as my feet would still get cold.

Well, I think that I found the answer. Alpaca wool socks! I bought a couple of pairs of lightweight, a couple of pairs of medium weight and a couple of pairs of heavy weight alpaca wool socks. I have worn the lightweight the last couple of days, and the temperature has been from 21° in the morning to 40° in the afternoon. My feet have been warm and dry, I will say, at 21° the lightweight apaca wool socks might not have been THE warmest, but my feet were warmer than if I was wearing my medium weight merino wool socks.

I'm really impressed with them, they are Warrior brand and the prices aren't too bad, between $17.00 to $35.00.

I have paid more for merino wool socks, that didn't have the same performance. The alpaca wool socks are thinner also, so fitment is better in shoes and boots.

I'm going to be investing in more alpaca wool socks and I'm going to look into alpaca wool blanket.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've spent an ungodly amount of money the last two months on winter (hunting) socks. Apparently a touch of neuropathy, my feet are cold all the time now and I froze last hunting season. (I was blaming my boots getting old, but I realize that wasn't the whole story).

Anyway I've purchased several brands and types of wool sock for this season. The problem I'm just realizing is, most of them are not marked in any fashion, so if one does turn out to be better than another, I won't know which brand it is to buy more! lol

On to alpaca.. I bought an alpaca wool hat last year. I thought that I would try some alpaca socks. But what I was find was, the percentage of alpaca wool in them all was pretty low. With merino wool, the percentage seems to be between 70-80% wool, the rest acrylic and spandex for example. Abut the alpaca socks were all in the mid to high 40% range of alpaca wool???
Okay so it's warmer than merino, but that's half as much of it? Don't quite get it, so I don't buy any. (besides I'd already spent a couple hundred bucks on socks at that point and really had too many, even after culling many of my old ones)

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What type of activity are you engaged in while wearing the socks?

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Bison wool socks will make your feet sweat at 32˚F

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Where did you buy them, ARMan?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38642 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
What type of activity are you engaged in while wearing the socks?

Well Friday was at work, driving the school bus. Can put a man on the moon, can't figure out how to heat a school bus.

Today, light yard work and rising the car off, no really a wash job. With an early morning dog walk with temperatures around 28°.

ARman

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Where did you buy them, ARMan?

I bought the first batch directly from them, I ordered one of each weight, then I found them on Amazon, and ordered the next batch added to an order that I was making.

ARman

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I keep warm with Smartwool socks.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My mom got me some alpaca socks after my stroke. They put me on Coumadin which is warfarin, a strong blood thinner. I know why old people are always cold...

Those socks saved me....it took several months to get me fixed up and after I quit taking the stuff I went back to my normal body temp. But those socks were the shit. Mom made me a will cap from Bre’s knitting plan for them and it keeps my noggin warm.

Wool, will keep you warm even when wet.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
I keep warm with Smartwool socks.

I have a smartwool sock, and like the other wool socks, don't keep my feet as warm as I would like, so far these alpaca wool socks from Warrior have been all around better. I wish that I found out about them sooner.

ARman

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Sort of the same topic, but going in a different direction: I understand that wool has great insulating properties, and is also good for warm / hot weather.

Would wool socks be good for summer use here in Florida? If so, any particular variety of wool? Or wool blend?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Yes, people wear wool socks for comfort and durability. REI shoe people will be thrilled to turn you on to quality socks.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Sort of the same topic, but going in a different direction: I understand that wool has great insulating properties, and is also good for warm / hot weather.

Would wool socks be good for summer use here in Florida? If so, any particular variety of wool? Or wool blend?

I wear my Smartwool socks summer and winter.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have come to the conclusion nothing will keep my feet warm if I'm sitting still hunting.

However my feet are always toasty when Im walking.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dahlgren socks have a blend of Alpaca and Merino...Dahlgren Socks

Posts: 130 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
I have come to the conclusion nothing will keep my feet warm if I'm sitting still hunting.

However my feet are always toasty when Im walking.

They issued us lehigh boots when I was in the service. Wool felt liners half an inch thick. When I was hunting in NC in the mountains, I’d wear those boots. Never got cold feet.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your feet will also stay warmer if your shoes/boots are slightly big. The extra "channel" of air between your feet & boots acts as an insulator. Same idea as when birds ruffle their feathers up in the cold, they are trapping the air for warmth.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have looking for a cheaper alternative than my Vermont DG socks.

I bought these and so far they are nice, not too heavy and they wear well.

The warmest I have had wear the issue arctic socks but you had to have your boots sized up a full size or more due to their thickness.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
They issued us lehigh boots when I was in the service. Wool felt liners half an inch thick. When I was hunting in NC in the mountains, I’d wear those boots. Never got cold feet.

Are these the mickey mouse boots people refer to? If so they seem horrible for walking.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Great place for all your sock needs - watch for the sales:
https://www.gobros.com/?utm_so...1d7a10c0f3df84c5707d

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post