SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bikini Baristas Sue City in the Name of Free Speech and Women's Rights
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bikini Baristas Sue City in the Name of Free Speech and Women's Rights Login/Join 
Picture of lkdr1989
posted
Drive-thru strip show?

quote:

Bikini Baristas Sue City in the Name of Free Speech and Women's Rights

Bikini baristas in Washington state are suing a city over its ban on serving "quick service" food and drinks with bare shoulders, midriffs, or upper thighs. On Monday, a group of seven baristas and one coffee stand owner filed a federal lawsuit alleging a violation of their rights to free expression, privacy, due process, and equal protection.

"This is about women's rights," barista Natalie Bjerk told the Seattle Times.

She's right. The City of Everett isn't claiming that the regulations serve any food safety or public health purposes. According to Assistant City Attorney Ramsey Ramerman, the point of the dress code is to prevent unethical coffee stand owners from pressuring employees into showing too much skin, and to keep baristas from giving customers a peep show for extra cash.

Under a pair of August ordinances, employees at food trucks, drive-up coffee stands, and similar establishments are banned from being in bikinis, shorts, sheer clothing, or any other outfit that shows bare stomachs, shoulders, breasts, lower backs, or pubic areas, or the three inches of leg below the butt.

Employee violations can lead to fines for business owners, along with a requirement to register for a special license (which the city can deny) and a five-year probationary period. Subsequent employee violations during the probationary period can get the establishment's food-service license revoked. And if the owners are judged to have "facilitated" the "lewd conduct," they can be slapped with a $5,000 fine and a year in jail.

Essentially, Everett has created a crime similar to promoting prostitution—but for facilitating skimpy clothing.

"This is not about being offended by people wearing bikinis," said Ramerman. "Some of these stands had the characteristics of a poorly run strip club, and trying to enforce standards under [Everett's lewd-conduct] law was simply ineffective." He told KOMO News that "this business model is just fertile ground for...exploitation."

Liberty Ziska, an Everett bikini barista and one the plaintiffs in the new suit, disagrees. "I choose my own clothing at work, and for me, the message I send is freedom," she said in a statement.

Again, the rule is based on public morals, not public health: The City Council cited concerns about "barista stands with employees dressing in a manner that is closely and customarily associated with adult entertainment or adult situations." (Guess they've never heard of beaches?) "The minimalistic nature of the clothing...lends itself to criminal conduct," the council suggested; it could "have adverse impacts upon minors."

Police in the past have simply busted baristas found to be engaging in criminal conduct. But city officials note that bikinis "can be quickly and simply partially or fully removed or adjusted...in a manner that is not easy to detect unless someone is placed in the same proximity of the patron," making it difficult to find individual violations. Under the new rules, no lewd conduct is required, just a skirt that's a little too short.

Everett officials also warned that left unchecked, the bikini coffee stand aesthetic could soon spread to fast food restaurants, delis, and food trucks. As evidence, they noted that "in Florida in the 90s, the popularity of bikini hot dog stands lead to similar bikini type businesses when local authorities enacted dress requirements for hot dog stands." This generated "the same negative secondary effects," say city officials, giving as an example the fact that "a bikini hot dog vendor in New York was arrested for prostitution."

At a hearing on the proposed ordinance, and in the local paper, citizens of Everett have expressed anger at the bikini law.

"It's our bodies and it's our choice," said Emilija Powell, who works at Everett bikini barista chain Hillbilly Hotties.

The city wastes time on things like this while showing little concern for "the real problems that we face everyday," wrote Mike Hickey. "In honor of this fine piece of legislation that impacts only those who buy a cup of coffee to see a couple, I pronounce all members of the city council...boobs."

Susan Martin suggested that people who don't want to see someone serving coffee in a bikini should simply avoid bikini coffee stands. "Who the hell does it hurt if a young good-looking girl serves a cup of coffee while wearing a bikini?...What century are we living in now? There is nothing illegal about wearing a bikini. What's next? A dress code at the beach or on the river?"

http://www.seattletimes.com/se...-over-bare-skin-ban/

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We had the rage of hot dog cart thong bikini girls in Tampa Bay in the late 80's/early 90's. For a while there was one on every major corner and guys were lined up to buy hot dogs at lunch. These were tremendously successful small businesses while it lasted. They even had the hot dog girl Olympics where they raced their carts, applied mustard to hot dogs with no hands, etc. There were so many car crashes by distracted drivers in the vicinity of these spectacles that the county passed ordinances against them. I spoke to a couple of the girls at crash sites who told me they were making more than $2000 a day with tips. It was fun while it lasted.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
In '08-2010, before we moved away, there was an arms race between these carts to see who could get the most naked without being arrested. Some of these carts were staffed by "ladies" wearing nothing but thong panties and a single strip of black electrical tape over each nipple. Cities were starting to push back on them at that point. It doesn't sound like the war is over.....

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hey, even the strippers of Seattle need a day job.

Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Maybe they will ban Hooters next.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bikini Bar maids was the rage in the Miami area in late '60's. Customer would pull out a cigarette and Bikini girl would pull out a lighter from between her boobs to light his smoke.

One tavern (Red Vest) had a strip show after closing time, when two bar girls would strip and dance on the bar for cash.

Place got pad locked by the city several days later.

There are days when I miss the Miami scene of the '60's.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I approve. This reminds me of Betel Nut girls in Taiwan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tra...ks-sold-drivers.html

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That we're even having the conversation is ridiculous. Of course it ought to be allowed.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
We had the rage of hot dog cart thong bikini girls in Tampa Bay in the late 80's/early 90's. For a while there was one on every major corner and guys were lined up to buy hot dogs at lunch. These were tremendously successful small businesses while it lasted. They even had the hot dog girl Olympics where they raced their carts, applied mustard to hot dogs with no hands, etc. There were so many car crashes by distracted drivers in the vicinity of these spectacles that the county passed ordinances against them. I spoke to a couple of the girls at crash sites who told me they were making more than $2000 a day with tips. It was fun while it lasted.

Soooo....nice tips?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Everett City Council unanimously enacted two ordinances Aug. 16 dictating a dress code banning bare midriffs, exposed shoulders, shorts or bikinis in quick-serve food and beverage businesses.

How in the hell does a city have the right to tell a business owner their employees can't have exposed shoulders and wear shorts?

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

Oh boy, I remember them along the roads when I worked in PINEllas Park!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Finally, there is actual video here of some of these half naked babes shaking their money makers for tips.

I guess there are cameras everywhere these days.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sea Bass
posted Hide Post
^
Nice one H&K guy!

SB

"Shohna ba Shohna - Shoulder to Shoulder"

Posts: 1640 | Location: Knox/Etown KY | Registered: June 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Finally, there is actual video here of some of these half naked babes shaking their money makers for tips.

H&K-Guy

The fuckin link indicated I had already seen the video and I clicked it thinking "When did I see a video of 'half naked babes shaking their money makers for tips'?" I need to see it again!

Oh well...

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Take the risk or
lose the chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:

H&K-Guy

Frickin' Rickrolled again. I'll never learn!

----------------------------------------
“The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

Posts: 1475 | Location: RR12 | Registered: February 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There have been cases where the girls will flash for tips, give sex shows for customers or service the customers along with the coffee.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/o...so-stand-f8C11501428
http://www.heraldnet.com/news/...moting-prostitution/

We had one open near us. They had an all American girl being interviewed. A few days later my wife asks me if I'd been to one. Firm no. She then wonders how the coffe was. So I take her. MY HAWD THE HUMANITY! The barista was two kids and forty pounds past what she was wearing. My bride has never asked to go back. Said the coffee wasn't that good.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4925 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
What, now they wanna ban titties? Big boobs helped make America great. And its good coffee too! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigpond73:

Was just thinking this myself...

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Geez, why does Everett have it's collective panties in a wad about this? Girls just want to make a little money, customers just want a little entertainment, nobody's getting hurt, what's the big deal? I can only figure that the city is just mad because they haven't come up with a way to tax it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post