SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scotch enthusiasts a question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch enthusiasts a question. Login/Join 
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
Im a big scotch fan...

Michel Courvuer. overaged. Nice solid smoke filled peat.
Aged in wine casks in caves in burgundy France
Hands down. A nice bottle to look at as well.
Wax capped cork, makes it even cooler.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The Dalmore range is quite good if you're looking for port finished Scotch. Something else similar that is still excellent is Kavalan Concertmaster. It's port finished not-Scotch made in Taiwan that's excellent. Since Taiwan is also near the equator, they can age it for 3 years and get a darker and richer scotch than some distillers can do for decades in Scotland.

While not port finished, Bowmore 15 is a peaty Islay scotch that's finished in a sherry cask for a great blend of Speyside and Islay scotches.

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Since my return to scotch a few years ago I have settled on the island peated offerings.
Are there any other Port finished whiskys I should be on the lookout to try?

If you want peat and port in your whisky, I would suggest the Laphroaig Cairdeas 2013 (aka Pink Laphroaig). The problem would be finding it in the US, certainly in Pueblo. And it will be expensive now since it was a limited release. I bought several cases of it, and after just checking, I've got 6 bottles left. I'd be happy to give you a bottle of it, but I don't know how to ship it to you. (I mean the liquor aspect).

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
quote:
Since my return to scotch a few years ago I have settled on the island peated offerings.
Are there any other Port finished whiskys I should be on the lookout to try?

If you want peat and port in your whisky, I would suggest the Laphroaig Cairdeas 2013 (aka Pink Laphroaig). The problem would be finding it in the US, certainly in Pueblo. And it will be expensive now since it was a limited release. I bought several cases of it, and after just checking, I've got 6 bottles left. I'd be happy to give you a bottle of it, but I don't know how to ship it to you. (I mean the liquor aspect).

This is an incredibly generous offer. It's the Laphroaig I referred to and it's hard to beat when looking at peat + port. I suggest you the man up on his offer and figure out shipping. Happy to give shipping guidance. Email is in profile.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, but I have seen that here from time to time. Not in Pueblo but up north. I'm not sure how I'd like the peat plus sweet. Perhaps I'll give it a try when I do the Masters of Malt order.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the offer, but I have seen that here from time to time. Not in Pueblo but up north. I'm not sure how I'd like the peat plus sweet. Perhaps I'll give it a try when I do the Masters of Malt order.

Are you sure about declining my offer of a free bottle of Pink Laphroaig, especially considering that Masters of Malt does not ship to the US?

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm sure. Thanks. I've seen it in a couple of Denver area stores. I was after something else and I didn't know what is was. I'm not sure I'd like the sweet with the peat. I'll be on the look out in the bars and try it their when I don't have to invest in an entire bottle.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
goose5,
If I knew how to post a face palm you would see it right now.
You turned down a free (only pay for shipping) semi-legendary hard to find scotch.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
After I've explained twice how I'm not sure if I would like it. I appreciate rh's generous offer, but I'm not going to take one of his last bottles from a multiple case purchase.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
maybe rh would ship you a sample, (think small airplane size bottle)??

not speaking for him by any means, just thinking out side the box,

as far as shipping, UPS or FedEx ground, sturdy box, lots and lots of bubble wrap and or foam,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Like Arc, I prefer the peats from the likes of Laphroaig and Lagavulin. Some brands I read here, of not heard of and will search out.

I knew in advance, that moving down under would mean that my favorite peats, would be expensive, and oft not available.

Laphroaig Triple Wood - AUD$125
Laphroaig Cairdeas 2014 - AUD$180.
Lagavulin Distillers 2017 - AUD$200

The prices mentioned aren't to show off or flaunt, more the reflection. Choice and long term enjoyment is a new lifestyle.

I have friends that I count on one hand, who will sip and enjoy the flavors.

Those who treat the peat like a cowboy shot, don't.

Whisky and cigars. Get off my lawn.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I once created a topic in which I explained that inappropriate medication destroyed my tongue, and I can't really taste anything, so ported Lahpraoig doesn't mean much to me. I also remember mentioning in that topic that my fingers and hands don't quite work any longer.

Later, after suggesting that my PCP in faraway King County, WA bother to re-review the CBC that he ordered, I got a referral to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. That doesn't happen.

The shipping issue was just a matter if I could ship from a liquor store in Washington to Colorado.

Summary: If I try an Instant Karma again, go for it!

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rh:
I once created a topic in which I explained that inappropriate medication destroyed my tongue, and I can't really taste anything, so ported Lahpraoig doesn't mean much to me. I also remember mentioning in that topic that my fingers and hands don't quite work any longer.

Later, after suggesting that my PCP in faraway King County, WA bother to re-review the CBC that he ordered, I got a referral to the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. That doesn't happen.

The shipping issue was just a matter if I could ship from a liquor store in Washington to Colorado.

Summary: If I try an Instant Karma again, go for it!

not sure of the legality, I think that varies State by State,

however,

Beer geeks mail beer back and forth across the country daily,
there is a section over on Beer Advocate that you can go to request, and ship, to another BA member all over the country,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

not sure of the legality, I think that varies State by State,

however,

Beer geeks mail beer back and forth across the country daily,
there is a section over on Beer Advocate that you can go to request, and ship, to another BA member all over the country,

Legally shipping alcohol requires a license. Carrier regulations require a license. Much beer, wine, and liquor is shipped daily by folks without licenses. The probability of being caught and charged is low. Each person shipping has to figure out what amount of risk they’re willing to undertake.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post