SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Scotch enthusiasts a question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scotch enthusiasts a question. Login/Join 
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted
Since my return to scotch a few years ago I have settled on the island peated offerings. I always have a bottle of Highland Park 12 on hand. On a trip to a large store in another town I was after two of my other favorites. They were on back order so I was forced to make another selection. Before I discovered the wonderful world of peated whisky Glenmorangie 10 was a favorite. I found on sale the Quinta Ruban. It was 20 bucks off so I figured what the hell. To my absolute delight this stuff is quite wonderful. Basically its the 10 year old that is put in Port casks for the final 2 years. Are there any other Port finished whiskys I should be on the lookout to try?

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Please allow me to be the first to not address the issue. I have not had a lot of port-finished scotches but have really enjoyed...
Glenmorangie Spios Rye Cask. This can sit on your tongue like warm butter.
Redbreast Lustau. Finished in jerez casks, a soothing pour.
The Whistler Olorossa. Mighty fine and a favorite.
Glen Moray Port Finish. Good value.
Balvenie 21 Yr Port Wood. Too spendy for a mere kablammo.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to "ported." But if you like peat, you need to taste Laphroaig and Lagavulin if you have not. Lagavulin 16 remains my favorite scotch.

I do enjoy "plain old" Redbreast as well, since Kablammo mentioned it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Lagavulin 16 is my special occasion bottle. Of the Laphroaigs the Quarter Cask is my favorite. I've had several bottles of another Islay offering called Kilchoman. They started as a farm who got into distilling so they do it all. All of their stuff is no age statement so far, and Talisker is another favorite.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Ardbeg 10 or Ardbeg Uigeadail. Awesome peaty stuff

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The Ardbeg 10 is too much for me. I have enjoyed the Uigeadail.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
But if you like peat, you need to taste Laphroaig...

Laphroaig 10 is without question my favorite.

A friend of mine was over and we were having a few whiskey colas. He used the Laphroaig. Not something I would use with cola, more of a makers and Pepsi... that said, it was the best whiskey? Cola I have ever had. The smoked peatyness of the Laphroaig with the Pepsi was outstanding.

I still prefer it straight with a super light splash of water.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lagavulin 16 remains my favorite scotch.

Maybe mine too.
When I need a good peat fix I also like Ardbeg 10, or one of the other Ardbegs, although the 10 is hard core peat.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Lagavulin is a favorite to be sure. But, if I was forced to choose just one I'd choose Highland Park 12. At half the price its the closest yet I've found to Lagavulin. Its peat hit on the finish is not as strong, but balanced. I can only pay 100 dollars per bottle once a year.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Highland Park 12

I haven't tried it but I never considered this Scotch in the same way as the Islay Scotch's.
The region that Highland Park is made is not know for peaty Scotch.
YMMV and I will try some but not expecting a lot of Peat.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Lagavulin is a favorite to be sure. But, if I was forced to choose just one I'd choose Highland Park 12. At half the price its the closest yet I've found to Lagavulin. Its peat hit on the finish is not as strong, but balanced. I can only pay 100 dollars per bottle once a year.

I typically get the Lagavulin 16, at about $60. Has the price risen drastically, or do you get something else?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I typically get the Lagavulin 16, at about $60. Has the price risen drastically, or do you get something else?

I've been paying in the low eighties at Total Wine here in Houston. Their prices are comparable with anyone else here locally.
YMMV

posted Hide Post
The best port finish I had was on a limited release Laphroaig that came out a few years back. The port with the peat was very nice. Benriach Solstice is also very good but becoming very difficult to find. It's a lighter peat with a port finish. Balvenie 21 Portwood is great stuff but not cheap. The Arran has a port cask that's less expensive but I've not had it.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Regular Lagavulin 16 at my local store is 109. Last bottle bought was on sale in Colorado Springs Cheers Liquor Mart for 85. Not on sale it goes for 104. If I could get it for 60 I'd have some much more often.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found on sale the Quinta Ruban

I received a bottle as a Christmas gift a year or two ago. It's absolutely wonderful.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ardbeg Uigeadail or Laphroaig for me. Uigeadail is 110 proof.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lagavulin 16, also my favorite, normally sells for $65 at Costco, but they'll have it on sale for $56 just about every a year.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Why is it so expensive in my neck of the woods?

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here just north of you... state taxes are the predominant reason.

And we have another problem due to our sparse population. Distributors won't bring in many items and even refuse special orders. Also out of state mail order is deemed illegal. I was never able to get Redbreast Lustau for that reason as an example. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16210 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

State taxes and distribution shenanigans.

Costco sells it so cheap in CA because they have the buying power and storage capacity to take advantage of distributor deals. They buy pallets at deep discounts. The price of Lag 16 in CA runs the gamut from Costco's sale price under $60 to fancy wine shops selling it for close to $100.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post