SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dad had bypass surgery.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dad had bypass surgery. Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Supposed to be a single but they ended up doing a quadruple. He's stable but agitated with the vent and not awake yet. Prayers appreciated. Any advice for the recovery? He's 77 years old.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OldChimney
posted Hide Post
Walk,walk,walk! Encourage him to start walking as soon as possible and walk often. This is stage 1 cardiac rehab.

Encourage him to go to stage II cardiac rehab which involves monitored cardio and light weight training for 12 weeks.

Posts: 2364 | Location: West | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Advice? Follow his doctors orders to a tee. My father didn't and he lasted only 3 years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
He’s in my prayers.

Posts: 26896 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Supposed to be a single but they ended up doing a quadruple. He's stable but agitated with the vent and not awake yet. Prayers appreciated. Any advice for the recovery? He's 77 years old.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Advice? Follow his doctors orders to a tee. My father didn't and he lasted only 3 years.
Jim

Absolutely. Listen to the person who knows him best, medically.

Q

Posts: 26354 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Advice?

Watch out for infection!!!

First day he's in bed with 24 hour nurse in room and hooked up with several tubes.

Second day nurse get's him on his feet for a short stroll with a walker.

Third day more walking, fourth day walk.....etc.

Most likely, he's be out of the hospital within several days.

He's got to watch his diet from now on.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
In my prayers

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had a quadruple bypass about 12 years ago, when I was about 69. I followed the doctors' orders pretty closely and I'm still going. I do have a regular Cardiologist now (and will see him routinely Thursday). I don't think there's a lot to worry about if he follows instructions. I pray for his good recovery.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Lots to write. I had bypass back in 2009 and have sort of survived till now. I have a lot of opinions and some may not comport with what others have to say here. First, cardiologists make their money ordering tests. If you start to play their little game, it'll soon come to the point where they don't even bother to tell you what each test found. I was a prick and demanded to know. If they're going to take my time and cause me pain, I have a right to know why. They don't want to tell you it was just to generate revenue for them, or background.

Yes, he needs to do rehab, and at a place he likes. I actually looked forward to it. Found a friend to exercise with. So far those bypass' seem to be doing OK. But I just got out of the hospital from a valve job. They had a fancy word for it. TVAR. No thanks to the cardiologist. He didn't think it was my heart, and about killed me putting me off.'

I remember after his fancy tilt table test where he told me it wasn't my heart. Wrong again.

So back to your dad. Don't go overboard on the diet thing. He may be about to die, or sooner or later. Allow him to eat things he enjoys. Keep in mind that living is about enjoying life, not pleasing some doctor. If you let them, they'll make him miserable.

Does he have any grand kids to walk with? Even walking can be overdone. Not to be done when its hot outside.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I had X3 in 1998 at 45. Just saw my Cardiologist today for carotid scan and six months checkup.

Diet. Follow guidelines set by the doctor. Sure low fat eating is a PITA, it's an acquired taste.But not a big deal, he will get used to it. Maybe it will make a difference, maybe not. But why take the chance and not follow a low fat regimen?

Quit smoking if he does, I didn't but was around a lot of second hand smoke over the years,
I also attribute lousy family genes and a lot of exposure to carbon monoxide in car dealerships over the years as contributing factors.

If he obsesses over small things, try to get him to put them in perspective. Stress is a killer too. Get him to enjoy things, explore different things, take time to smell the flowers.

If I can offer some words of advice, tell him to have my philosophy: Every day is a gift from now on, some are just a better gift than others.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I had a quadruple bypass in 2003. Best advice is to follow Dr's orders.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
First find out what HE wants. We all want our loved ones around forever but when life becomes a struggle the agony builds. If he wants to live as long as possible then he should follow generally accepted methods of recovery and longevity. If he’s ok with the engine rebuild giving him a few more years then don’t ride him about how he chooses to spend the time left.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Quick update. He's 2 weeks post OP. Doing ok. Starting to eat a little more. He walks a few times a day. Short distances. Still weak and sore. I appreciate all of the advice.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
My dad, 70's, had triple bypass about two years ago. He did all the rehab, walked around the neighboorhood and now goes to a local community center with a gym and works out.

My advice, do the rehab, listen to the docs and rehab people. Tell him to ask questions if there is anything he's unsure of. Someone went with my dad to all his doctor appointments and took notes.

It's good that he his walking. Recover takes awhile but getting up and moving a few times a day is what he needs to do. The soreness will go away.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16395 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post