SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you've ever wanted to build a kit guitar
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you've ever wanted to build a kit guitar Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Stewmac.com is having their annual sale. For $150 you get everything to build a decent guitar except the tools.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materi...l?utm_campaign=M1194

I put one together earlier this year and, while it needs a better setup, I'm pleased with the results. I keep working on the nut. It's almost there but I'm going to replace it anyway.

You can upgrade the parts as time goes on our just be happy with a decent guitar for $150.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty good deal. I've built lots of partscasters and my latest one is very nice for having only used stuff I already had laying around. I just don't need any more guitars! No more room in the house.

Posts: 3530 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I put one together earlier this year and, while it needs a better setup, I'm pleased with the results. I keep working on the nut. It's almost there but I'm going to replace it anyway.

I built an electric guitar from lumber a number of years ago, and my experience was that with a decent set of woodworking tools, most of the process was pretty straightforward.

Getting the fretboard and the nut right is a challenge. Those are by far the hardest parts, and the parts where specialized tools are the most necessary.

That kit includes a neck with an already complete fretboard, so that part is done, and if you really have to, getting a luthier to cut and install a new nut for you is not that expensive.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have been antsy to build one of their LP junior kits for several years. I can paint with the best of them and do the electrical easy enough. I just am lousy at wood working. I have bungled up all kinds of projects. Maybe some day I’ll get inspired. (The setup is everything)

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Stewmac is the only one selling Waverly tuners. I've been meaning to find out if Stewmac is the family company of the Waverly people.

quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I keep working on the nut. It's almost there but I'm going to replace it anyway.

Martin Guitars has a Seconds room for budding luthiers. Tops, back & side sets, necks, fingerboards. All of it is very high quality stuff. As soon as I can rope an "aspiring luthier" into making me a rosewood 000, I'll make my selections. Cool

Removing and resetting a violin neck has been the toughest thing I've done so far. Removing and replacing a top is easy in comparison.

Yeah, getting the nut just right can get yer nerves jangling. Takes some brass. This Michael Kelly came with the screwy ABS nut (sitting atop the strings) with string pairs a mile apart. This set bone nut was my third try. I hear 1.62mm is the grail gap between each pair, with the four pairs equidistant with whatever is left over. 'Course, with 0.011" E strings and 0.040" G strings, it is all by eye.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post