SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Forum Recommended Cookware?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forum Recommended Cookware? Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
I'm tired of my wife's hodge-podge of cookware (skillets, pots, pans, etc.) and want to replace it all for Christmas with some GOOD stuff. It must work with electric, gas or induction cook tops and preferred oven safe and MUST be dishwasher safe. My wife makes nearly everything from scratch so it gets used on a daily basis and a lot of extra use around the holidays, but she's the cheapest K-mart Blue Light discount shopper you would ever some across and would never spend money on something like this. However, I have no issue with doing so. I have been looking at some All-Clad cookware, but haven't a clue what's good, bad, doesn't make any difference, etc. As always, thanks in advance!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I prefer:

Cast Iron
All-Clad Stainless
LeCreuset Enamel

I wouldn't buy an entire set from any manufacturer.

Like knives, buy the individual pieces you need.

It's not cheap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 46and2,

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cast Iron and Stainless Steel

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'd trust these guys recommendations.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/1atGnmJKmTc

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NKIHghgpYbA

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/yjUW-p7iRLU

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
What 46and2 said.

A cast iron pan (well seasoned)
A set of All-Clad pans (mid to upper end)
And an enamel coated iron roasting dish.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Pretty much already covered.

Cast iron skillets, griddles, and Dutch ovens.

All-Clad copper core stainless.

The latter is stupid expensive, but after all the research I've done, it is the best there is. I bought one piece per month rather than shelling out the $$$$ for a set and that made it a bit more palatable. There are also websites where you can buy their "seconds" for a yuge discount. Typically the seconds are just scuffed up a little making them not top-shelf. They are the same pots/pans though and every bit as good.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Le creuset is a great Dutch oven. Pricey, but will last your lifetime.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I prefer:

Cast Iron
All-Cad Stainless
LeCreuset Enamel

I wouldn't buy an entire set from any manufacturer.

Like knives, buy the individual pieces you need.

It's not cheap.

Agreed. We've had an all-clad MC2 for about a decade now, and I'll bet we have them for the rest of our lives. Great stuff.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Damn you tatortodd and SIGforum, now for some reason I feel the need to replace my SS skillet with an expensive All-Clad one.

There are two seemingly same ones on amazon. Anyone know the difference between the 41126 and 4112?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
We like our set of Cuisinart Multiclad Pro. Most of the performance of All Clad at a much lower price.

I also have a well seasoned cast iron skillet as well as a spun steel wok.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
+1 for a good wok.

I like wokshop.com

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Le Crueset has some outlet stores around the country. I picked up two of their Dutch ovens with minor blemishes, and saved a lot of money.

As for cookware, the MC2 line from All Clad is a good value, and you will get professional results. I have a couple of these pans, bought online.

Of course, everyone should have at least one good cast iron skillet. Lots of threads on cast iron if you do a search. Good luck.

BTW, hand wash your cookware. Don’t put it in the dishwasher. Especially cast iron.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2Adefender,

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Damn you tatortodd and SIGforum, now for some reason I feel the need to replace my SS skillet with an expensive All-Clad one.
We're always ready to spend other people's money
quote:
Anyone know the difference between the 41126 and 4112?
37014 Big Grin

Near as I can tell, 41126 comes with the lid

EDIT:
Amazon's Q&A had the same question, and I'm not sure which to believe. What is difference between 4112 and 41126?
Answer:
  • Spoke to Leslie of All Clad Customer Service and she assured me that there was no difference between the pans save that the 41126 comes with a Lid at a promotional price.
    By OBeOne on July 12, 2016
  • The 41126 is 2 inches shallower than the 4112. 4112S is 2 inches deep and includes a lid; the 4112 is 4.38 inches deep and does not include a lid
    By L. Clegg on May 17, 2015

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    A Grateful American
    Picture of sigmonkey
    posted Hide Post

Fire.
    Flat rock.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    If you want All-Clad, watch your local Home Goods and TJMaxx stores, especially this time of year. I have picked up most of my All-Clad at about 2/3 to 1/2 price. Every once in a while I caught one in the clearance aisle. They also have Le Creuset from time to time.

The “POLICE"
    Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
    Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    We're always ready to spend other people's money
    quote:
    Anyone know the difference between the 41126 and 4112?
    37014 Big Grin

Near as I can tell, 41126 comes with the lid

EDIT:
    Amazon's Q&A had the same question, and I'm not sure which to believe. What is difference between 4112 and 41126?
    Answer:
  • Spoke to Leslie of All Clad Customer Service and she assured me that there was no difference between the pans save that the 41126 comes with a Lid at a promotional price.
    By OBeOne on July 12, 2016
  • The 41126 is 2 inches shallower than the 4112. 4112S is 2 inches deep and includes a lid; the 4112 is 4.38 inches deep and does not include a lid
    By L. Clegg on May 17, 2015

• Read the same thing. Conflicting responses. Pictures are nearly the same. If the 4112 was really 4.38", then the handle is yuge to be the same proportions in pics of both models.

Found This too, seems to back first answer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I use cast iron the most, and a Staub dutch oven.

All Clad alternative
    Cuisinart Multiclad Pro (aka MCP or MultiClad Professional)

Carbon steel is ~half the weight of cast iron.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk

Posts: 425 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    All-Clad LTD 10" fry-pan
    All-Clad Stainless 3qt Saute Pan
    All-Clad LTD 6qt Saute Pan
    All-Clad LTD 4-qt pot
    All-Clad Stainless 2-qt pot
    All-Clad LTD 1-qt pot
    12" non-stick Trimontina fry-pan
    10qt Staub Dutch Oven
    10" cast iron fry-pan
    Calphalon grill pan

That's my most used assortment. I prefer All-Clad's LTD series as it doesn't show finger prints and the finish doesn't wear. If I could afford copper-clad or, a set a Mauviel copper, I'd be set.

If there's a Williams-Sonoma outlet near you, that should be the first place to start assembling a quality set of cookware. Occasionally they have All-Clad at 50%-off, usually it's around 30%-off. Calphalon and enabled cast iron is also marked down; old models get pushed out due to new colors, new handles or, new covers coming out. Macy's basement during sales, TJ Maxx/Marshall's you'll occasionally find a deal. Holiday season all the companies will put-out sets to entice a purchase, just know prices and what you're looking for before jumping in.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances With
    Tornados
    posted Hide Post
    I have a metric shit ton of cookware, including a LOT of AllClad, Le Crueset and cast iron.

Having said that, I find myself using only a few pieces, the rest sit and gather dust in the pantry closet.

For an excellent alternative, Fontignac (made in France) is an enameled cast iron brand of dutch oven owned by the Staub Group (they also own Zwilling cutlery), and Costco currently has a dutch oven for $79.00. I have one which I got at Bed Bath and Beyond, same price, and it's fantastic. Linky Thing

You really don't need a lot of cookware for everyday cooking. Tonight I browned pork chops in my old Griswold #7 then finished them in the oven in my All Clad Petite Brassier All Purpose Pan (not currently made but available as new old stock on Ebay). I've purchased 3 of these in the last year as gifts. Very happy with the deal. Linkything I HIGHLY recommend this pan.

You just need a good solid dutch oven (DO NOT BUY ONE MADE IN CHINA, NO MATTER WHAT CELEBRITY NAME IS ON IT), get a Fontignac or go to a Le Crueset factory outlet store, or buy a Staub at Tuesday Morning. I'd buy one of the new Field cast iron pans for $100 over any thing made today by Lodge. The AllClad Petite Brassier All Purpose is my workhorse, it gets used almost every day, it's so versatile and does a fine job.

A few other misc sizes and shapes of pots and pans (quality made) and you're in business. I'd rather buy pieces than sets. With sets, just like knive sets, you get ones you never really use at all, waste of money.

Buy once, buy quality, cry only once.

I've actually picked up a lot of AllClad at a store named Home Goods while vising out in Whackyland twice a year, and at really excellent prices. If you check the discount stores you can often find excellent pieces. Some were shelf samples and might have a scuff or scratch but are brand new otherwise. I've picked up AllClad at Marshall Fields at 50% off.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have an All Clad stainless set that I got for our wedding over 10 years ago. I cook with it almost daily and each pan has its uses. It looks like it has hardly been used, I doubt it will have any issues making it another 10 years. Expensive, but lasts.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post