SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100 year old fruitcake found in excellent condition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 year old fruitcake found in excellent condition Login/Join 
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
"Hey, it tasted like shit 100 years ago, so dig in!"

Razz Big Grin

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
I can still remember, coming home from a vacation in Florida in the late 80's, and using a black rotary phone in our hotel room in Claxton, GA - the fruitcake capital of the world. My parents wanted me to call my grandmother to see if she wanted a world famous Claxton fruitcake - she wasn't home. We were going to compare it to her fruitcake cookies, which I enjoy. The world will now never know whose fruitcake was truly the best.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm with Robert Falcon Scott - I wouldn't have eaten it either.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
The difference between good homemade fruitcake and store purchased fruitcake is like comparing a 1970 VW Beatle to a new Porsche 911. No contest. That is all folks.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I wish I could eat fruitcake, because it smells really good. But I'm allergic to nuts and every fruitcake I've encountered was chock full of nuts. Frown

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by agony:
I wish I could eat fruitcake, because it smells really good. But I'm allergic to nuts and every fruitcake I've encountered was chock full of nuts. Frown
That's funny.

The first karma I ever won on this forum was some good peanuts. I'm pretty sure that you were the karma donor.

OK, I know that peanuts are not nuts, but ...

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
...yum, fruitcake.

A thick slice, placed in a bowl of fresh custard. And scooped out with choccie teddys - chocolate coated biscuits.

And before someone says 'biscuits, yuck' I mean cookies.

Or as my youngest cuz calls it, a teddy fruit pool.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
I'd hit it.

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Big Deal. I bought a 100-year-old fruit cake at Walgreen's last year.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
I thought they were talking about John McCain.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1362 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer to eat C-rations

I can honestly say, fruitcake would be the absolute last thing I'd eat. Right below Durian

Happy some enjoy it. Smile

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I saw a few weeks ago where some guy ate a piece of Civil War hardtack. He said it didn't taste very good, but he didn't get sick. I'm guessing trying some 100-year-old fruitcake that had been properly stored would not be any more dangerous. (But I wouldn't do it--I don't like "new" fruitcake.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post