SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    100 year old fruitcake found in excellent condition
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 year old fruitcake found in excellent condition Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
I like fruitcake.
If I found this 100 year old fruitcake in excellent condition, I'd have to try and eat a bite or two.

http://news.nationalgeographic...ke-scott-terra-nova/

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
LOL

I swear to God I thought this was going to be a Miley Cyrus thread. (she bailed on hosting tonight's Teen Choice awards at the last minute and pimped her new song in the same announcement)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I love history.
I love fruitcake.
This is right up my alley... sampling a piece of history.

I must say though that some beer made about 20 years ago from yeast from a few thousand years ago tasted terrible.

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Just think how many times that thing has been re-gifted!!!

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10703 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I have the same conversation every year with my wife- she buys me a fruitcake for Christmas and as I start to eat it, I say "Fruitcake is the ultimate survival food" and proceed to list the reasons why. She says "You say the same thing every year."

"It's still true", I say. Big Grin

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The truth is........fruit cake is what sunk the
Titanic.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
"Almost edible"
"There was a very, very slight rancid butter smell to it, but other than that the cake looked and smelled edible!"

Then they got to work on it:
"they have added stabilizing chemicals to both tin and cake in preparation for returning it to the Antarctic."

I'd forget about tasting it.
http://www.iflscience.com/edit...ngly-well-preserved/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmmmmmmmmm fruit cake. At least my mom's. To bad she's not around to make it anymore.

Her fruit cake was great, I never understood the hate for fruit cake until I had "store bought" fruit cake. Then I knew how it got it's bad repatriation.

My granny made great fruit cake also, I guess that's where my mom learned to make it right from.

Mmmmmmmmmmm fruit cake..... I miss Christmas with my mom....

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Wait, you mean there is more than one?

All these years I thought it was just one fruit cake that got passed from person to person.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Let's see- three fruitcakes a day for 365 days times for 36 years...

Yeah, let's call it an even 40,000 fruitcakes.

Posts: 107506 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Fruitcakes in the kitchen
Fruitcakes on the street
Struttin' naked through the cross walk
In the middle of the week

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
"Almost edible" is pretty much how I'd describe a fruitcake made yesterday so having one last 100 years in the condition seems situation normal to me.

My hat is off to all the fruitcake lovers out there! Brave souls all!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Alton Brown's fruitcake recipe is the bomb. Takes some effort to make and it isn't cheap but it is worth it. And yes, it would store forever and be a great survival food.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I think I read somewhere that Vikings had fruitcakes for wintertime and long sea voyages.

Who doesn't want to be like the Vikings.
Well , except for the stomach, tumor and entrails stuff I mean.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That's funny. I bet the bourbon casks were bone dry though.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Fruitcakes have a much larger variance between how good good ones are and how bad bad ones are than most other types of food.

I really like good fruitcake. Bad fruitcake is horrible. Let's not even talk about terrible fruitcake.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I've never had fruitcake before. Eek

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
"Almost edible" is pretty much how I'd describe a fruitcake made yesterday so having one last 100 years in the condition seems situation normal to me.

Similar to my thought upon spying the thread title, which was "How could they tell?" Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I also love fruitcake. I have ever since my Grandmother and Aunt would home make it for the holidays. It isn't Christmas w/o it.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post