SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Grand Teton National Park Emergency Closure for Safety at Hidden Falls Area of Jenny Lake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grand Teton National Park Emergency Closure for Safety at Hidden Falls Area of Jenny Lake Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Grand Teton National Park Emergency Closure for Safety at Hidden Falls Area of Jenny Lake

Date Released: 2018-07-10

The National Park Service has implemented an emergency closure in the Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point areas on the west side of Jenny Lake for human safety. Some recently expanding cracks and fissures have been identified in a large rock buttress above the Hidden Falls viewing area.

Other sources are in "Danger Will Robinson" mode.

quote:
Daily Mail

Rock fissure sparks URGENT closure at Grand Teton National Park, just 60 miles from Yellowstone supervolcano

The Daily Mail piece does have interesting information on how geologists are tracking the volcano using deuterium.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My Grand Teton story (I have several) Big Grin

May can see some nasty weather in that park. Rain, sleet, snow. In my early 20s, hitchhiking through the area, I spread my vapor barrier right on the snow in that park, stripped off my wet clothes, and climbed into a -20˚ rated sleeping bag.

Last year I tried camping there in last week of May. Same thing, sleet and snow.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
So is this one of those super volcano things or just a normal volcano?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
It's related to the bomb cyclone. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
It's related to the bomb cyclone. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

We'll be wishing for a bomb cyclone to blow the dust away after the super volcano starts killing us.

Other than "because it's there", I'm not sure why scientists feel the need to (uselessly) attempt to predict the eruption. What the heck are you going to do about it? You can't stop it and people aren't going to vacate 1/3 of the country just to be safe. Let 'er blow.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
Other than "because it's there", I'm not sure why scientists feel the need to (uselessly) attempt to predict the eruption. What the heck are you going to do about it? You can't stop it and people aren't going to vacate 1/3 of the country just to be safe. Let 'er blow.

Three guesses (1) funding (2) funding and (3) More funding.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s 2012 all over again!

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I suppose if you are a long haired, bearded geology professor there are worse places than Yellowstone to spend your summer with the granola chick grad students.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well... I'm buying Spam.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I suppose if you are a long haired, bearded geology professor there are worse places than Yellowstone to spend your summer with the granola chick grad students.

That’s a stereotype- I just spent 3 weeks in Hawaii at Kilauea; I saw nothing of the kind there.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
quote:

That’s a stereotype- I just spent 3 weeks in Hawaii at Kilauea; I saw nothing of the kind there.

So there aren't granola chick grad students?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stereotypes do not develop in the absence of some basis in fact.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe there should be a federally funded study of the appearance and disappearance of granola chick grad students. I'm sure there would be much enthusiasm.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Maybe there should be a federally funded study of the appearance and disappearance of granola chick grad students. I'm sure there would be much enthusiasm.

Hey - the Grizzly Bears in Yellowstone have a good gig going - let's not blow it for them !!!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
This is some of the terrain in that area

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What does 'Gran Tetones' mean?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:

Big ol' titties. In French.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Hey - the Grizzly Bears in Yellowstone have a good gig going - let's not blow it for them !!!

Grizzlies date granola chick grad students?

Who knew?

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Big ol' titties. In French.

Tig ol bitties! Big Grin

TITTIES SO BIG YOU NEED A REALLY BIG IMAGE FILE TO FIT THEM IN IT.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So there aren't granola chick grad students?

There were certainly womenfolk in the ranks, but they were all employees...and only one of them was truly attractive-ish. Come to think of it, there weren’t any long haired looking professor types in evidence either.