SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a little help identifying a Brush mower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a little help identifying a Brush mower Login/Join 
Tequila with lime
posted
So I bought a brush mower for cheap and got what I paid for. Now I need to fix it. Trouble is, I can't find a name plate or sticker to tell me who made it.

The mower is a 60" cut, PTO mower setup for connection to a 3 point.

What's wrong with it? The only functional issue with it is the gear box seals. Oil comes out of it almost as fast as it goes into it (and that's not hyperbole).

Here are some photos. Any idea what this thing is?

I appreciate the help.

Thank you President Trump.

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
From the other photos you had posted it looks similar to a Lowery, link below third. If not there are a load of mower parts sites you may be able to match. Chris

From the photos up now it looks like the leak is where plate and gearbox meet. If bolted cut you own seal if you can't match at local AG store.

http://www.lowerymanufacturing...roducts/cutters.html

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chris. The two main parts of the gear box are bolted together. Drain the oil, take them apart. Clean/scrape both surfaces thoroughly, make a gasket and use some gasket cement and put it back together. If you can't torque the bolts, at least try to get them close to being similarly tight. Gasket material, in small sheets, can b bought at your local car parts place. While not as good, in a pinch I have used cereal box cardboard.

While the box is open, look for Water, grit or metal particles in the bottom of the box. These would be signs of more problems.

If you aren't up to the job, find a small, local repair shop and they can do it for you. Search for farm equipment repair. They rebuild this stuff all the time (I did it for several years). If you can at least remove the gear box from the mower and take it to the shop you will save money, as they won't have to charge the time for the disassembly/reassembly.

Finally, if you do take it apart, DO NOT take the splined shaft out of the cast iron housing where it is mounted. This it carefully shimmed so the clearance between the gears is exactly right. Without that correct, the gears will wearabnormally fast. In a parallel thought, the gasket between the two pieces of the housing should exactly match the original as well. There may not be one. If not, clean surfaces thoroughly and use gasket cement.

The leak may be because the bolts holding things together simply loosened up over time.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Cereal boxes can be ok, but in an applications like this you really don't want to use something that has a slick side. Doesn't seal well. If the metal surfaces are in decent shape I would suggest Hylomar gasket sealer. NAPA can get it sometimes.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Measure the seals and you should be able to find them online. The seals may even have the part number molded into them.

http://products.emersonbearing...asurement-oil-seals?

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
One way a lot of people deal with gearbox leaks on older equipment is to run grease in them instead of gear oil. I have an old Woods 10 foot bush hog and run grease in one of the gearboxes ... Just open the cap and squirt a bunch of grease in there every now and then. I know other people running grease in theirs and they have been doing it for years.

If I had a newer piece of equipment I'd likely fix it right, but the time and effort it would take to tear it apart to replace the bottom gearbox seal exceeds the value of the bush hog.

If yours is just leaking from that cover plate, I'd go on and make a new gasket for that, or if it's the top shaft seal, I'd try to match one up.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
Mine is leaking from the bottom end. Would the grease or seal suggestions still work?

Posts: 8366 | Location: KS, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Kook:
Mine is leaking from the bottom end. Would the grease or seal suggestions still work?

The one I run grease in has the bottom seal blown. Replacing the seal is the correct way to fix it, but a lot of people with old equipment like me just run grease in them. I use the regular grade grease instead of high temp since I figure it thins out some and lubricates everything better once the gearbox starts to warm up.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
That looks much like the light-duty (up to ~40 PTO HP) gearbox I had on an old Continental Belton 60" and on my current Ag-Meier 60".

I think most of those gearboxes are generic, and what I've seen generally are made in Italy. Since brands are often regional, you might ask at a implement dealer selling a commonly-seen brand in your area. National brands like Bush Hog *might* use proprietary stuff, maybe not.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Once the bottom seal goes, repairing it is a HUGE pain in the ass as the "T" bar the blades attach to is usually well and truly frozen in place.

Plus, even if you DO get the "T" bar off and replace the seal, the shaft has usually been banging around long enough that it's scarred up and will eat the new seal in short order.

Repairing gearbox leaks is almost always a losing proposition, especially on a low-end unit like that.

Run either a mix of grease and 80/90 gear oil or better a lube called "corn head grease" and call it good.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tequila with lime
posted Hide Post
The T bar is already off. The shaft spins freely and smoothly. I was able to mow a small bit of my yard yesterday by filling the gear box with oil every other pass.

Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
Can't help you with the ID, but I'm curious how the mower got in that condition. Did the previous owner store it in the bottom of his pond?

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could use a rope seal behind the damaged seal.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post