SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has the Costco peanut butter controversy been discussed?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the Costco peanut butter controversy been discussed? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife sticks her hand inside the Pringles can to get the chips out. She assumed everyone could do that.

was she on Lawrence welk ?
Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...M3bwz6ffW-pf&index=1

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I opened it up, there was an inch of oil on top, and the stuff underneath - whatever it truly was - was like a rock. No way that was going to get mixed up short of tossing it into a paint can shaker, or maybe an industrial cement mixer.

we store ours upside down, and mix it with appropriate kitchen tool if needed.

The oil separation is a transitory event powered by gravity & the non-fluffiness of the peanuts.

Some people hate the extra step & would rather find other products.

Reading the label gives me the willingness to do the new-jar mix process.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
And I thought this was going to about the eternal controversy over the ratio of Creamy to Crunchy on the shelves.

Seriously though, I bought a jar of that "organic" stuff once. Adams, I think the brand was. It sat on the shelf in my pantry for a few months until I used up the regular stuff. When I opened it up, there was an inch of oil on top, and the stuff underneath - whatever it truly was - was like a rock. No way that was going to get mixed up short of tossing it into a paint can shaker, or maybe an industrial cement mixer. Back to Jiffy... Wink

That's how ALL PB was at one time before they started homogenizing or emulsifying it or whatever term it goes by where they keep the oils from separating. The more natural the PB, the more this happens. We grew up eating a natural PB from a local nut roaster that was just ground peanuts and nothing else and man was that stuff THICK and DRY!

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
When I opened it up, there was an inch of oil on top, and the stuff underneath - whatever it truly was - was like a rock. No way that was going to get mixed up short of tossing it into a paint can shaker, or maybe an industrial cement mixer.

we store ours upside down, and mix it with appropriate kitchen tool if needed.

The oil separation is a transitory event powered by gravity & the non-fluffiness of the peanuts.

Some people hate the extra step & would rather find other products.

Reading the label gives me the willingness to do the new-jar mix process.

Me too. Jif and Skippy replace the more valuable peanut oil with cheaper cottonseed and rapeseed oil. They also add corn syrup and sugar.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I've got a pending patent on peanut butter jars with lids that screw on both ends. I'll keep you posted.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I've got a pending patent on peanut butter jars with lids that screw on both ends. I'll keep you posted.
I'd be satisfied if they just made the jars without that little hump in the middle of the bottom--it's very difficult to scrape the PB from around that.

flshguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I remember years ago, we used to buy frozen orange juice in those little six or twelve ounce cylindrical cardboard containers with aluminum ends. One end was always embossed with instructions: "Please open other end."

One morning I took a container out of the freezer, glanced at one end and obediently flipped it over to the other end. No joy, both ends were embossed with the same instructions. I couldn't decide whether to open both ends or neither end.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Have you not seen the peanut butter that comes in a toothpaste tube??

Wait WHAT??? Why wasn't I informed? That ranks right up there with safety pins, splitting the atom, and the last episode of the Jersey Shore!

Jelly made the switch years ago about time peanut butter caught up....
LOL Bink.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I used to buy surplus C rat tins of peanut butter for a nickel a piece at the Army Navy store in Hyannis (mid 80's). It was all sorts of oily when opened but it was delicious to a kid "camping" in the back yard playing soldier. I believe the tins of banana nut roll were a quarter....
Is peanut butter of any use in tank maintainance ? Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
copefree , if you can sell it to costco , I have $200.00 to help get you started

Posts: 54600 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
copefree , if you can sell it to costco , I have $200.00 to help get you started
He has to first find someone who would make them.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I've been buying, and bitching about, the big jars of Jif for like 40 years. I hate getting it all over the knife and my fingers when the jar gets below the halfway point. I wish the jar was half as high, and twice as wide. It would be really nice.

I try and try to get to like the natural peanut butter, but it's pointless, it's not going to happen, so back to Jif I go. Last natural stuff I bought was made at a local store and I got it right after it was made, and it just tasted blah. My GF loved it, but I guess since I grew up on Jif, it's what I want.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
One used to be able to buy PB in a pasteboard can about 5" in diameter with a full-sized removable plastic cap to be used after the seal was removed. I think it weighed about 4 pounds. It was (I think) Peter Pan® Brand. Those were ideal containers and I loved them (and the PB). I haven't seen them for several years now in the supermarkets--are they still available in the wholesale stores (Sam's, Cole's, etc.)? (I am not a member of those.)

OK, I just did a quick web search and Peter Pan® does sell a pasteboard tube with full-sized opening that weighs 6 lbs ($11.47 at Walmart®). Jif® apparently also has a 4 lb similar package there for $8.78. I don't normally shop at Walmart® so don't know if the one near me actually has those sizes on the shelves; however, both brands can be ordered on line and shipped.

From the standpoint of being able to get all the PB out of the container, I think the 4-lb from Jif® might be a little preferable (and is probably what I remember buying in the stores). Another thing about those containers--once empty of PB and washed (easy to do), they make great storage containers for various little things.

flashguy

posted Hide Post
2010 challanger,
I finding that the plastic spoon idea is a good one.
( see previous post)

the back of the spoon works great for spreading soft regular butter and the cupped side of the spoon can get 99% of the peanut butter at the bottom of the grand canyon sized jars.

I think I paid 99 cents for all three

Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Three pages and still no....

Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Email sent Big Grin.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2010Challenger:
I've been buying, and bitching about, the big jars of Jif for like 40 years. I hate getting it all over the knife and my fingers when the jar gets below the halfway point. I wish the jar was half as high, and twice as wide. It would be really nice.

I try and try to get to like the natural peanut butter, but it's pointless, it's not going to happen, so back to Jif I go. Last natural stuff I bought was made at a local store and I got it right after it was made, and it just tasted blah. My GF loved it, but I guess since I grew up on Jif, it's what I want.

Make your own. Easy and tons better as you can make it in smaller batches so it is always fresher. Cashew butter is a particular favorite

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post