SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has the Costco peanut butter controversy been discussed?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has the Costco peanut butter controversy been discussed? Login/Join 
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I use an antique version of these gleaned from granny's box of kitchen stuff:

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
I use an antique version of these gleaned from granny's box of kitchen stuff:

Called an "offset spatula". I was a pastry chef/baker in a previous career.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Jif doesn't have that problem. Smile

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Called an "offset spatula".

granny's wasn't offset.

Although the straight design is impressively useful. The 1" wide is very flexible the closer to the tip, and handy for cleaning out those larger peanut butter jars. The 1 1/2" wide is less flexible but agile enough for flipping burgers, slicing onions in a pinch, & other odd cookery tasks.

Our household uses Adams exclusively.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Here I thought you were going to complain that the peanut butter jars failed to clearly notify customers that the product was made with peanuts, peanut oil, and peanut byproducts

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this from the malware attack worldwide.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31423 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
This is the true story of peanut butter:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/aJOXTNdqrLo

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
cut the bottom out an recover with plastic wrap. I am tired of protesting....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gene doesn't have a problem with that jar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why can't they make the jar 4 inches shorter and 4 inches wider, to allow access ?

A WAG, FWIW - they can get more jars of peanut butter on the grocery store shelf that way,

they could very easily stack one upon the other, but N o o o o o o o o o .
they gotta make a body reinvent the damn peanut butter wheel

found one of these in the giant kitchen drawer of gadgetry

the longest one seems to work fine, just fine

thanks to those able to think outside the jar,

kz1000 was right

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Paint stirring sticks work well. Or a silicone spatula.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
That's not Costco peanut butter, it's Skippy.

Kirkland is Costco's brand. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Last time I bought peanut butter from costco you didnt need a knife, you could pour it out of the jar...

At my scout camp in the 60's they got some kind of surplus peanut butter in a metal coffee can with what looked like a CAGE code on it. When opened, it had about 1/2" of peanut oil on top that had to be stirred into the viscous material below. Roll Eyes

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3446 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Last time I bought peanut butter from costco you didnt need a knife, you could pour it out of the jar...

At my scout camp in the 60's they got some kind of surplus peanut butter in a metal coffee can with what looked like a CAGE code on it. When opened, it had about 1/2" of peanut oil on top that had to be stirred into the viscous material below. Roll Eyes
That was before they began homogenizing it. It shouldn't be a problem with commercial PB (except for those "organic" ones with no additives and no taste).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
That was before they began homogenizing it. It shouldn't be a problem with commercial PB (except for those "organic" ones with no additives and no taste).

flashguy
I'm pretty sure that your timeline is off. 1960, I had completed USN active duty and had my first civilian dwelling, one room with a shared bathroom down the hall. No cooking facility. I ate my main meal at the cafeteria at work, but at "home" a large loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter was my staple. The peanut butter was definitely homogenized.

Younger years, I do remember my grandmother's ploy of putting the jar of unhomogenized peanut butter on the shelf upside-down; the oil would rise to the top of the jar, which was really the bottom, so when you opened the cap to use it the spreadable stuff was at the top.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My wife sticks her hand inside the Pringles can to get the chips out. She assumed everyone could do that.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Kirkland Peanut Butter comes separated and must be stirred, repeatedly. If the oil gets used ahead of the peanut butter, the last part of the jar is like roofing tar.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I used to buy surplus C rat tins of peanut butter for a nickel a piece at the Army Navy store in Hyannis (mid 80's). It was all sorts of oily when opened but it was delicious to a kid "camping" in the back yard playing soldier. I believe the tins of banana nut roll were a quarter....

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
And I thought this was going to about the eternal controversy over the ratio of Creamy to Crunchy on the shelves.

Seriously though, I bought a jar of that "organic" stuff once. Adams, I think the brand was. It sat on the shelf in my pantry for a few months until I used up the regular stuff. When I opened it up, there was an inch of oil on top, and the stuff underneath - whatever it truly was - was like a rock. No way that was going to get mixed up short of tossing it into a paint can shaker, or maybe an industrial cement mixer. Back to Jiffy... Wink

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post