SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have have an '03 with only 45K on the clock (bought it two years ago from an elderly couple with 12K miles on it at the time, who only used it to drove to church on Sunday's) and love it!

Yep, it is not great on gas, but it is tight, built like a tank, runs great and easily drove thru 30" of unplowed snow on new GY Duratrack's.

Get one if you can / want to!

Posts: 3465 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2008 GX470, the Lexus version. Came with the KDSS air suspension. Super awesome! I also owned a 94 4Runner I should have never sold.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're going to replace our 2003 Highlander in a year or two and I'm really excited to see the redesign aspects for 2018 (if indeed they do occur). FWIW, here's an article I found a few days ago speaking to the redesign.

https://toyotaspecsrelease.com...-price-engine-specs/

I got to say, I am not a big fan of the 'yuge' cow catcher grill look on the Toyotas as of late. The current 4R reminds me of a Star Wars Storm Trooper look. I'm just not a fan of all these huge transformer looking vehicles and trucks.

Here's a peek at the 2018. A much more refined look.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Toyota fan here. I don't have a 4 Runner but, is like the older style of the model and been eyeballing for one. That is the only vehicle I would trade in my FJ Cruiser for.

Talk about bulletproof... I not only give you the 4 Runner but, the FJ Cruiser!!!

Had a '09 Highlander that we traded in 2016. Nice ride with really no problems except for a recurring issue driver's side window. It was getting up there in miles too and wife wanted something newer. Toyota was not giving us a "good enough" deal. Went down the street and got a good deal and better trade in for a '15 Nissan Pathfinder. Great vehicle with no issues so far (knock on wood) with really no difference in quality as far as I can see with the Toyota but, it is just not a Toyota. I know irrational and dumb but, I know you know what I mean

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Gas mileage sucks. That's all.

Should come with HIDs but they didn't. This is after HID drop in and new fogs.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Sounds great but do they offer it in a hybrid? Razz

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
They are one of the few remaining (maybe the only now) mid-sized SUV's that are built on a truck platform vs. a car. We bought our 2014 brand new and traded in our 2008 with 145k miles on it. We still got $11k for it in trade!

Mine goes with me into some UGLY woods during deer season and I am 100% confident I will come out safe.

Here is a pic I took a few weeks ago when I was leaving for vacation.

- The roof rack is packed with full luggage
- Inside the back area is food/beer/clothing/a compressor, etc.
- The 2" receiver is holding a platform with 2 coolers full of food and ice; as well as an additional bike rack that weighs nearly 75 pounds, without adding the weight of the bikes.
- Two adults in the front and 2 teenagers sitting comfortably in the back.

That's a lot of weight in the back of one vehicle. Notice that the rear suspension barely looks affected.

- 200 mile one way trip and it drove like a dream, as it always does.

Buy a 4Runner and don't look back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Sounds great but do they offer it in a hybrid? Razz

Unfortunately, Toyota has made it very clear they have zero interest in bringing their diesel to the states, I feel like that's as close as a 4Runner is going to get to Hybrid.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
We're going to replace our 2003 Highlander in a year or two and I'm really excited to see the redesign aspects for 2018 (if indeed they do occur). FWIW, here's an article I found a few days ago speaking to the redesign.

https://toyotaspecsrelease.com...-price-engine-specs/

I got to say, I am not a big fan of the 'yuge' cow catcher grill look on the Toyotas as of late. The current 4R reminds me of a Star Wars Storm Trooper look. I'm just not a fan of all these huge transformer looking vehicles and trucks.

Here's a peek at the 2018. A much more refined look.

That looks like a Fortuner (a similar size SUV sold in the middle east) with some photoshop. I doubt that is the new 4R.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
That looks like a Fortuner (a similar size SUV sold in the middle east) with some photoshop. I doubt that is the new 4R.

Could very well be. I took the picture out of the article, where it is sub-titled, "2018 Toyota 4Runner", so who knows at this point. I suppose we'll see in the future! Smile

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Had an 06 that was a great SUV. Near 20mpg in town and 25-28 highway. As trouble free as they come. I traded in on my current 2012 Tacoma which of course has also been a great vehicle. It held value very well. I was surprised at the trade in value I got.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
A great friend of mine has had six 4Runners. Why six? Because a) they're full-on dependable, and b) the fifth one was heavily damaged by a lady with an F350 and a loaded horse trailer. Inertia, you know....

Anyway, three of those six are still in his possession. The oldest of them is a 2000 model, with almost a quarter-million miles. That one has become "the spare," the vehicle that gets lent out when someone needs one because their own is broken.

I've got a goofy Nissan loyalty, but since Nissan emasculated the Pathfinder and killed off the Xterra, I'll likely scoop up a 4Runner for my next SUV.

For what it's worth: for the 2008 model year, my friend's records show that the V6 and the V8 only differ in fuel economy by about 1mpg, unless you drive the V8 hard. In day-to-day driving, the difference is negligible.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I could have had a V8. A T4R V8. I want one still...... If only I had that thing the other guy wanted. What did he call it....? Money! Yea, that was it. He wanted something called money.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I can’t miss a 4Runner thread!

This is my 2007 4Runner Limited V8 (4th Gen). I bought it CPO with 20k miles on it, now it has ~100k miles on it and still drives like new. It’s the best vehicle I have ever owned in terms of reliability and overall capabilities. It’s my wife’s daily driver now and I trust it will always keep her safe and will never leave her stranded. Someday when she is ready for a newer one we will probably just keep this 4th Gen to pass on to our kids.

This is my buddies 2008 SR5 V8 with some minor mods. We have driven our 4Runners on hunting/camping/offroading/boating adventures all over North America without ever having a failure across hundreds of thousands of miles. I think his is up to about 160k miles now and is still going strong. I wish Toyota still offered the V8 on the newer ones as it’s a fantastic engine that makes a great SUV even better. They may be priced slightly higher than other options but they are worth every penny considering the low cost of ownership and what you can subject one to without it ever skipping a beat.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
The last 4Runner that was offered with a manual transmission was the 2000 (3rd gen). I own one and it is a GREAT truck.

I don't care for automatics either but the manufacturers are building solid units for the most part now.

Fun fact. For one year (2009/10) of the current generation, you could get a 6 speed manual with the 2.7L 4 cylinder and rear wheel drive only.

As expected, it did not last long.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
I can’t miss a 4Runner thread!

I wish Toyota still offered the V8 on the newer ones as it’s a fantastic engine that makes a great SUV even better. They may be priced slightly higher than other options but they are worth every penny considering the low cost of ownership and what you can subject one to without it ever skipping a beat.

the 4.6L DOHC V8 from the Lexus GX / Global Land Cruiser Prado would be so welcome in the current 4Runner - such a smooth and (relative to the V6 lower end) torquey engine.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Lots of Toyota fans here....include me in that group. I have a Rav4 but looking to get a Highlander or 4Runner at some point. Solid vehicles.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Put me down a six time 4Runner owner as well. It started with the second year they were made..1985. Back then I was into wheeling pretty heavily. I built that truck to go just about anywhere. Five later and I currently own a 2007 4x4, Limited with the V8. Sweet vehicle, but they all have been. Two drawbacks come to mind. I could use a little more room in the front seats, and the brakes can be a weak link. Short list!

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Ronin,

Did you custom build that carrier/bike rack yourself?

Brett,

From what I understand, the CPO models get the balance of warranty out to 100,000 miles for the power train so you got 80,000 miles warranty for the power train. But when you buy new, I think it's only 60,000 miles power train.

We're thinking about a CPO Toyota next, just thinking of the economics behind it. Seems the power train warranty is longer but not the bumper to bumper. It also seems that CPO vehicles aren't that much cheaper than new vehicles.

Did the economics of it make it worthwhile for you?

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I have a 2016 4Runner and love everything about it but the MPG. They're built like tanks in the same place as Land Cruisers, Toyota's Tahara plant in Aichi, Japan, said to be the most computerized and robotized automotive plant in the world.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post