SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
Last night, Snake207 and I were having a conversation about the Toyota 4Runner. I have owned one in the past and he currently owns one. We were talking and I mentioned that you never see one, regardless of the year model, sitting on the side of the interstate with the hood up. The damn things just keep going and going. They seem to be the vehicle that holds value really well, and you can buy one with 200,000 miles on it and expect it to last quite a while longer. It is also a vehicle that the older ones seem to hold up as well as the newer ones.

What do you guys think?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about a Forerunner for the next vehicle. After a little research it appears the design is due for an update. The current info-tainment system is outdated, no android/Apple car play. It's slow accelerating but even the TRD is a nice ride on pavement. It really shines offroad but seems to be a solid everyday SUV. A coworker has an older one and says it's bulletproof and he'll never get rid of it.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
I loved my 04 v8. Sold it my cousin at a family discount with 150k miles and bought a new Tundra when I got a bigger boat. If not for the boat, I'd still be driving the 4runner.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Can I get a new 4Runner in a manual?

I'm interested in these cars if it ever comes time for a new vehicle, but it's gotta be a manual.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 1998 with 165k on it. Not only are they dependable, they are inexpensive to maintain as well. Parts are cheap and available in multiple places. Mine has the TRD supercharger on it, which gives it a little more pep.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife just sold her 2006 with 250,000 miles to buy a 2015. Awesome, vehicle.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
They are the best midsize SUV on the road. My parents 03 has well over 200,000 miles and has never failed or broken down. The damn things just keep going.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Obviously not an expert and have never owned a T4R. But I've been buying Toyota only. I certainly believe in first order higher level of relative quality, reliability and value of Toyota products, including the T4R.

That said, obviously, I would not opt to buy a used T4R. The higher than KBB pricing coupled with the risk of unknown history of a specific vehicle of this type is unpalatable to me since I can't identify and fix issues myself. The higher than KBB pricing is so prevalent that vehicles that are priced reasonably become suspicious.

I think this is suggestive that the market as a whole values T4R highly for some combination of capability/features, performance, reliability, price. And I can certainly believe in that but would only purchased used IF I could discern the history and risk of a specific vehicle.

If I bought new, I'd certainly expect a T4R to go well beyond 200K miles. Even my lowly sedan has no signs of aging beyond cosmetic at 17 years / 150K miles.

I rarely (ever?) see a Toyota roadside barring an accident.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12712 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Balzé, unfortunatly no. The second gen (around 1995 I think) was the last time the 4Runner was offered with a manual. That said (and I know you hate autos) the automatic in that vehicle currently is bulletproof. I'm with you though. The Tacoma still offers a manual and it would be great if the 4Runner did as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just paid off my 2013 yesterday in fact. 4wd SR5. Wife's daily driver and kid hauler and family trip rig. Only 55k and maybe 20k-25k is from 4 very long multi state road trips.

I like the powerband of that 4.0 V6. I wish it was he engine in my 2017 Tacoma.

We have a ton of value in that car and she's talking about trading it on a new 2017 or 2018 4Runner. I know so many others with several hundred thousand miles. Only becuse she wants new and shiny would we consider trading it. If it was me I'd drive it another decade +

Only rap was getting new brakes at around 50k becuse as noted her driving is NO freeways all stoplight to stoplight kid hauling between school, dance, baseball etc around town. Service guy even said I had another 10k minimum but they felt "squishy" to her so I pick my battles if you know what I mean

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have owned the first three generations of 4runners. The first generation Is still my favorite.
I purchased a 1988 sr5 with the 22re motor and 215k on the odometer for $1000. It was a one owner and he had never taken the top off of it. I was offered $5k for it less than a week after I purchased and refused that offer without hesitation. Unfortunately a girl decided to t-bone me three months after I bought it and totaled it.
If the first gens weren't reaching $10k for the same condition as mine, there would be one with the other two toyotas currently sitting in my driveway.

Posts: 226 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Very interested in this thread. Theres been one sitting on my street, prob 2016 in a dark gunmetal gray, that has me drooling every time I walk my dogs...

Im a Toyota/Lexus lifer (for larger vehicles....I like the Acura/Honda sedans)

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
The good? It's a Toyota. Cool
The bad? I don't have it. Frown

Q

Posts: 26319 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The 1999-2000 models are the closest thing to a perfect midsize SUV I've ever seen.

Feature rich, nearly indestructible, reliable as can be, inexpensive.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
If I was in the market for a beefed up SUV, I'd buy a 4 Runner TRD. Friends that have 4 Runners love them.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3396 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Balzé, unfortunatly no. The second gen (around 1995 I think) was the last time the 4Runner was offered with a manual. That said (and I know you hate autos) the automatic in that vehicle currently is bulletproof. I'm with you though. The Tacoma still offers a manual and it would be great if the 4Runner did as well.

Dang. I really like the look of the 4Runner.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yes and no I would say. If buying one in the 200k mileage range, give or take.

You should be the type that is mechanically inclined and have a heafty budget for maintenance and repairs.

Things like

Water pump and timing belt.
Axles and seals
ball joints.
window motors
Clutch if a manual
radiator
brakes

The list goes on.

This is not cheap or easy for most.

So while a good rig. Buying one with high mileage is not for everyone. And could be a financial disaster just to say you have one.

Also a lot of them for sale on being sold by an owner who has found this out after buying. And or one that was bought and used as an offroad type rig by a guy named Josh or something similar Wink

So just be warying of most of them. Just say'in.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last 4Runner that was offered with a manual transmission was the 2000 (3rd gen). I own one and it is a GREAT truck.

I don't care for automatics either but the manufacturers are building solid units for the most part now.

My issue with the 4th gen and beyond is the size of the vehicle, the 4Runner is no longer the nimble compact that is once was. Nowadays they are as big as the old Land Cruisers and they have all this electronic crap that is just itching to break.

The only company that makes anything remotely close to a 3rd gen 4Runner is Jeep and the JKU is bigger.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big Toyota fan. Bought my '03 4Runner in 2005 if I remember correct, sold it last year for $10k in a matter of days. Ended up buying a '97 Land Cruiser a few months later, again big Toyota fan. The 4Runner was virtually maintenance free outside of routine items. I'm loving the LC, but wouldn't hesitate to buy another 4th or 5th gen 4Runner.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Wife has a 2014. It's been a great vehicle for us, done everything we've asked it to and then some. That said; it's slow, the front brake rotors warped at 30,000 miles, the low seating position is not comfortable on long drives, the nav system isn't all that great and the gas mileage is less than stellar.

That said, it's one of the last SUV's that has any type of off road capability. It's also one of the most durable and reliable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11760 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post