SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota 4Runners- Your thoughts good and bad. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 4runner in 1986. It was a standard with a 4 cylinder motor. It was very under powered. I lived in Pa. at the time and I actually had to downshift going up some hills. I didn't keep it to long because it was gutless but it was great in the snow. It would have probably rusted up anyway as the metal quality was very poor but the motor would still be running today. I bought my first Toyota in 1981 and I always keep at least one. I have a 2012 V6 Camry SE now. You can't go wrong with a Toyota.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you guys think?

I think your right. They are great vehicles.

I had 160,000 on my first one when I sold it. I have 149,000 on this one.

If I sell this one I will buy another.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Unfortunately, Toyota has made it very clear they have zero interest in bringing their diesel to the states, QUOTE]

They announced they will have a diesel Tacoma in 2018 or 2019.

Posts: 82 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FWP:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MikeGLI:
Unfortunately, Toyota has made it very clear they have zero interest in bringing their diesel to the states, QUOTE]

They announced they will have a diesel Tacoma in 2018 or 2019.

The HELL you say?!

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
We were talking and I mentioned that you never see one, regardless of the year model, sitting on the side of the interstate with the hood up.

Ironic that I saw this very thing, a 4Runner on the side of the road with its hood up just this week. But, that it was a 4Runner made it noteworthy.

They are a little too highly stylized both inside and out for my taste, but there's no denying the quality. Incredible ride and handling for ladder frame and chassis construction. I wish it were about 15% larger, though. I'd buy new, because they don't depreciate enough to make them a particularly good value as a used vehicle, IMO. The small amount you might save means little if you buy it and keep it'til the wheels fall off. I'd seriously consider one if my Tundra ever decides to stop running, but at 340K and still going strong I think they'll bury me in this thing.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10353 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2007 that I bought new, it now has 105k miles on it. When it was brand new there was a glitch with the CD player and the passenger seat airbag weight was not calibrated correctly, it would not turn on with my 110 lb wife. Both things were fixed promptly under warranty.

The only other issue has happened this past year with 3 of my 4 lock actuators going out. Dealership said it was likely due to my aftermarket alarm, which was installed in 2008. Probably not gong to get them repaired as I am looking to get a new 4-Runner in the next year or so.

Love the car, can't wait to get a new one.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ironic that I saw this very thing, a 4Runner on the side of the road with its hood up just this week. But, that it was a 4Runner made it noteworthy.

Probably had just put the cables away after the guy he gave a jump to drove off. Big Grin

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Brett,

From what I understand, the CPO models get the balance of warranty out to 100,000 miles for the power train so you got 80,000 miles warranty for the power train. But when you buy new, I think it's only 60,000 miles power train.

We're thinking about a CPO Toyota next, just thinking of the economics behind it. Seems the power train warranty is longer but not the bumper to bumper. It also seems that CPO vehicles aren't that much cheaper than new vehicles.

Did the economics of it make it worthwhile for you?

Yes the CPO extended the warranty out to 7 years and 100k miles. It covered a lot of things but it was not bumper to bumper, I think that was only 1 extra year.

The CPO was nice to have but it was not a requirement for me. I needed a V8 4th gen for the 7000lb towing capacity, so the 5th gen was off the list. My 4th gen was priced much below the 5th gen models at the time as well since I bought it in December 2011 with 26k miles on it.

I have never had a single thing break, so since I never needed the warranty paying extra just for the CPO warranty would not have been worth it in hindsight. But it sure gave me peace of mind when I bought it that it had been thoroughly checked out by Toyota.

My 4th gen was only slightly more expensive than similar 4th gens that were not CPO. But this one turned up 6 miles from my house, was locally owned and serviced, was exactly what we were looking for, and when I checked it out on the lift it was pretty much brand new (had been a garage queen). All things considered the price was right so we took it home.

When I bought my new Tundra in 2014 getting a slightly used one that was CPO would NOT have been worth it. The savings weren't there and Toyota was offering great incentives to move out overstocked new inventory. So I think it depends on the specific model you are looking at. The Tacoma's hold their value so well that CPO may not be worth it on one of those either.

If I were looking at something like a Lexus IS350, new ones have an MSRP of ~$50k, probably selling for around $3k less. You can get a nice CPO only a couple years old for $30k. That price difference is definitely worth it for me and as cars get more complex with electronics the extended warranty makes sense.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2003 4Runner is just about broken in at around 231,000 miles. I just drove it about 7 hours to the Outer Banks and back and wasn't the least bit concerned.

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Someone just put a 4runner for sale outside their place in Eastern PA-Northern BERKS County:
2007 Limited-V8, silver
130,635ish miles. Looks very clean
$11000

With 2 sons in college I have to pass Dammit but thought I would pass this on. PM me for the guys contact info.

I have no vested interested in it..he just put it out today and I figured it won't last.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I am on my 5th 4Runner. AS old as 1986 and as recent as a leftover 2016 Limited I bought new in February. Not sure in what year but the timing belt is now back to a timing chain. I still have a 1998 in the driveway with 261,000 miles on the clock. Everything works except the rear wiper and the clock. Probably a Y2K thing Smile . The 1998 has the 14 gallon tank so I was a regular at the pumps when it was my daily driver. Oil changes at 5K and it still shows full on the dip stick every time.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the T4R had the towing capacity the Tacoma does I would have ordered a 17 T4R Pro instead of the Tacoma Pro MT (which I totally enjoy driving)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
They are too small for me. I can't fit in one or I would probably own one. Lots of soccer moms have them in my neck of the woods and they love them.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 2013 4runner sr5 4x4 and was looking to trade it in the not so distant future. The only real issue that I have is size. The Sequoia had so much room that we were spoiled. The only other issue is that it feels like a tin can when the doors are slammed shut and the lack of storage space. Has been a reliable vehicle for our family with the exception being the door locks (worked on by the dealer 4-5 times).

Posts: 140 | Registered: April 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
My parents had a '99 4Runner, has 300+k mikes on it. I say 'had' because they just gave it to my nephews to drive since they just turned 16. Only issues with it are the radiator needed replacing around 200k, the dealer kept messing up the rear axle seals after a brake job and the mount for the front seat had to be rewelded because of the way my dad got in / out and broke it.

I admit I was jealous they gave it to my nephews as I love that vehicle and have had many a good time on fire roads in the Sierras with it.

I've no idea how the modern ones hold up, but the older ones are tanks. Love them and they'd be on my short list of vehicles to checkout if I were to be in the market.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I had a 4Runner from 2013 until 2 months ago. I bought it new and put about 30k miles a year on it. When I traded it for a new Tundra TRD Crew Cab recently, I got top dollar for the trade in. The only issue I had with the 4Runner was right after the factory warranty had run out, the door lock actuators went out which was not a cheap fix (since I don't know how to do it myself). Other than that, it ran like a top. Gas mileage was a lot worse that I had expected for a V6 though.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just reluctantly traded my 2006 4-Runner that had 234,000 miles on the clock. Probably the best vehicle I have ever had in 60 years of driving. Got tired of listening to the wife say, "You need a new car" every time there was a minor issue. I do not care for the new ones, too tall, too wide, too long, just too darned big. When they went to the latest generation, I was hoping they would keep it the same size or slightly more compact. Instead, they went in the opposite direction, which I never understood since they already had the Sequoia. I would buy a new 2006 in a heartbeat. The brakes went 150,000 miles before service. The Panasonic battery was going strong at 7 years, when I replaced it out of caution. The Toyota battery replacement died after 4.
The engine was the V-6 and the only major repair I ever had was a blown head gasket at 190,000 miles. I hear that is a known issue with high mileage V-6 4-Runners. Being disappointed in the new 4-Runners, the closest replacement I could find was the Subaru Outback. So far, I like it and do appreciate the 29-30 mpg vs the 20 mpg I was averaging in the 4-Runner .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Ironic- I "WANT" a 4Runner.

I can afford and have an Outback.....several Subies actually.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4571 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
My son is looking for an older Forerunner in the Tulsa area they are hard to come by!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
My 03 SR5 is going strong at 257k. I am going to have to replace both front axles, brakes and U joints. I’m not concerned at all with those repairs with my mileage. Drives and rides great. I love the V8. When I replace it it’ll probably be with a Tundra TRD. I assume it’ll still be running though.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post