SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California members - a question about bringing a gun into the state
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California members - a question about bringing a gun into the state Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
I'll be driving to California soon, and want to bring a handgun along for protection.

Can anyone in CA tell me if I would have a problem keeping either of the following two guns in my rented cabin:

1. Glock 27 Gen4
2. Sig P220 .45

Both of these have <= 10 round magazines, but I read somewhere that Gen4 Glocks are verboten. Is that true? Any problem bringing the Sig?

Thanks

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
No. They are not forbidden, just not approved for sale. You can bring them in. You can't list them on you CHL, but you won't be able to get one of those anyway.

10 rounds or less. No loaded guns. Keep them locked in a container or in the trunk.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
No problems, visiting citizens aren't slaves to the handgun roster. The roster is basically applies to buying/selling thru a LGS or FFL (PPT exempted) of guns listed on the roster, but not possession.

When driving in CA with a handgun, it needs to be in a locked container, unloaded. Glove compartment does not qualify, but the trunk does.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. Am I allowed to keep a loaded weapon in my cabin? Or does it have to be unloaded?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
AFAIK (don't keep up to date given CCW possession) but I think Jallen and oddball are correct.

Maybe take a peek here under Title 4?
http://leginfo.legislature.ca....6.&chapter=&article=

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Thanks everyone. Am I allowed to keep a loaded weapon in my cabin? Or does it have to be unloaded?

Yes. Loaded is fine but unloaded between car and cabin.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

Yes. Loaded is fine but unloaded between car and cabin.

Thanks JALLEN. What a screwed-up state California has become. I'm glad you got out of there Smile

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
No. They are not forbidden, just not approved for sale. You can bring them in. You can't list them on you CHL, but you won't be able to get one of those anyway.

10 rounds or less. No loaded guns. Keep them locked in a container or in the trunk.

This is close enough for the OP's purposes while traveling , but is a little too broad brush about the permits. Also, read the CA PC, but I believe that a hotel room, house where overnighting, camper, probably even a tent is considered a domicile and a gun could legally be loaded and ready to go there. Don't take my word for it though, read the law.

Those pistols are not on the roster, so can't be sold new to a citizen who is not LE. One who lives out of state and owns one can move to CA (becoming a resident if they are crazy enough to do that) and bring in (with some newly added monkey motion involving an FFL) pistols he already owns that are not on the roster. An LEO can buy an off roster pistol. Either of these folks can decide they no longer want the pistol (or pistols) anymore and sell it in a private party transaction (PPT), face to face at an FFL.

As far as what you pistol(s) you can put on your permit (currently called a Licence To Carry or LTC), that depends on your issuing agency's policy. Some require the pistol(s) to be registered to you, some don't. Some may require the pistol(s) to be on roster, some don't. Neither of the two pistols on my CA LTC (a P228 & a P7M8) are currently on the roster. The P320 that is going to replace the P7M8 on my next renewal has never been on the roster. My Sheriff has no issue with that, but other agencies may have other policies.

ETA: oops, typed too slow and most has already been clarified. Sorry!

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
...if I would have a problem keeping either of the following two guns in my rented cabin...

<= 10 round magazines...

Because you said "cabin" I expect you will be far from San Francisco.

Last I heard, SanFran is the only area where a firearm must be on your person or stored in a locked contain while inside your home.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
quote:
...if I would have a problem keeping either of the following two guns in my rented cabin...

<= 10 round magazines...

Because you said "cabin" I expect you will be far from San Francisco.

Last I heard, SanFran is the only area where a firearm must be on your person or stored in a locked contain while inside your home.

We'll be at Lake Tahoe

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
One final thought:

quote:
California gun owners are required to safely store firearms when they know (or should know) that children may be present.

In California, a person commits criminal storage of a firearm (in the third degree) by keeping or leaving a loaded firearm in a place where the defendant knows (or should have known) that a child under the age of 18 is likely to gain access to the gun without permission of the child’s parent or guardian, and the defendant does not take reasonable steps to secure the firearm. (Cal. Pen. Code, § 25105.)

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unloaded goes as far as meaning a loaded magazine sitting next to your gun in your locked case in your vehicle trunk. Loaded magazine inserted in gun = loaded, round in chamber or not doesn't matter.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I point out that Nevada is also a nice vacation spot with cabins and all. Just sayin'. I fled SF in '93. I ain't going back. For any reason.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In California you may have a loaded gun in your hotel room, campsite or, related, RV when it is parked for the night. You don't have any "duty to retreat" or other nonsense either. This is a holdover from its "Wild West" roots that they haven't purged (yet).

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post