SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IT for an O&G service company.

8.5% pay cut across the board, top to bottom.

Otherwise, we're still trucking along.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are retired. Our finances are such that, what is occurring should have minimal impact.

Posts: 997 | Registered: October 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Self employed retail. Slowing down but not desperate yet. Wife is a school cook. She is going to be paid at least through April I believe and insurance will be maintained (and that's a huuuuge relief).

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
No impact to hours worked; however, there's been a sharp decline in the amount of packages I deliver.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still working, so that's good. Finally sucked it up and looked at my 401K yesterday......not good.

Spending a little extra in pick up/delivery items. Trying to keep me and the old lady out of the stores since her immune system is compromised from lupus.

Bastards won't sell me one, ONE! pack of TP during my grocery pick up order. In store purchase only. So they are forcing people to congregate in close proximity to get an essential item. Brilliant. Fucking rocket surgeons they are Mad

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I'm IT for municipal government - OT is out of control

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
None, as far as I know. Retired, military pension and SS.

Small IRA in a fixed-rate CD that shouldn't be impacted.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
No impact to hours worked; however, there's been a sharp decline in the amount of packages I deliver.

That is really odd. I would have thought you would be super busy with people doing online ordering and stuff. I know I'm doing a lot more online shopping trying to stay away from crowds.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
personal economic impact
Might be a wee too much info to put out over the public Internet, no?

That's an ironic CUT you have for such a skittish disposition.

[scratches head] Interested to find out the logic here. How, exactly, could advice against throwing prudence to the winds and posting personal financial details in public forums be seen as skittish?

Further...it's not just identity theft and hackers. Hopefully folks realize that financial institutions can and do scrape the web and social media for info on their current and prospective customers. Forbes, Dec 2019

quote:
But lately, marketplace lenders have been trying to incorporate more and more valuable sources in their credit assessment, believing that it helps them generate significantly more accurate results. And that changing landscape has been endorsed by the U.S. government. Just last week, on December 3, 2019, various government agency leaders announced that credit scores in the U.S. have officially gone beyond the traditional financial behavior principles. And while they did not announce any specific standards, regulators formally backed the use of alternative information – not traditionally used by the national consumer reporting agencies – in calculating consumers’ credit scores. Focusing specifically on borrowers’ cash flow, the regulators supported that such alternative information be used as a substitute to the traditional credit-evaluation system based on applicants’ past history of borrowing and repayments.

But, hey, don't mind me, I'm 'skittish'... Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We're retired and have been out of the market for 9 years now. With our SS payments and 3 annuities we are making between 15-20% more per month than we were when working. With the quarantine we are actually able to put more discretionary money into savings because we aren't eating out and not travelling at all.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sales rep in outdoor industry living in territory.

I'm doing ok, but my dealers are taking a bath, many have closed their doors, hopefully temporarily. Shelter-in-place orders have torpedoed any possibility of walk-up or, last minute business for those locations. The Sierras have 4-6 feet of fresh snow and nearly all lift areas are closed. Those stores that are allowed to stay open is due to the workwear section they have, which gives them special allowance to remain open. Other counties that don't have SIP orders, are surviving on firearm/ammo sales. Lots and lots of first time buyers, one owner said their sell-thru has been even greater than when Obama was in office.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
So far so good...I work in senior healthcare so I'm essential. The problem would be if many of our senior patients got the virus and left to the hospital and did not return.

Wife works for a school district and is essential and working every day. She's the transportation manager and responsible for delivering breakfast and lunch to kids that are home and out of school.

Hopefully this doesn't drag on for too long as there are many normally safe industries that won't be able to hang in for the long haul.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rent a house to a woman that lost her job and she told me she can't pay rent . We will deal with it i told her. Its not like there are any courts open to get an eviction order anyway.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Although I'm a tradesman on piecework, I haven't seen anything significant yet. There is only one confirmed case of Wu-Flu in this region. Last week (work week runs from Thursday to the following Wednesday, paid on Friday) I worked on 21 cars. Today I have three going. I have a rainy day fund if needed.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
My 401k is being savaged. But I'm in for the "long game."

Otherwise, nothing, at least in the short term. I'm on a weird combination of "telework, but continue to attend out-of-office meetings at your discretion, work your cases... but don't come to the office."

We are, however, saving big bucks by not constantly eating out.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My factory job is still going 7 days a week. We are hearing all sorts of shit, but no perceivable impact of yet.
401k was wacked, otherwise...

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Seeing as I am retired, nothing has changed for me, accept for the current hit on my rolled over 401k. I fully expect that to correct itself in the coming months.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm losing money, as in no overtime. I have a guaranteed salary, but it's not great. Things are going to be tight for a while. This is the time of the year that I get a lot of overtime. With things shutdown, I won't be able to get any.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Worked out better for me, working from home now and only have to go in for one day a week. I’m driving very little and save the 75 minutes of driving every day. 401 took a big hit but I had a lot in fixed interest so I’m buying all I can. I’m on salary so no worries about pay. Sorry to hear about those that are losing jobs or taking pay cuts.

Posts: 4077 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm an engineer by trade and I'm in integrated O&G. I'm gainfully employed (home officing), and my 401k has taken a beating like everyone else's. The industry has been in a downturn for a couple years now, and the whole Saudi Arabia/Russia flooding the market with crude hit at the same time as Wuhan virus which was a double whammy. Everyone is as nervous as a longtailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

On a positive note, I have a 8 to 10 years before retirement so I'm looking at the coming months as a value buying opportunity.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post