SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19? Login/Join 
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
My last day of work was March 13. Not by choice, but I was ready to quit every day for the prior 2 weeks.

Cash on hand is low.

Food and TP stockpiles are good. Though I dropped about $600 in the prior few weeks stocking up.

Oregon is closed for business as of today 3/23/20 until April 27,

So I won't be out spending money, just applying for jobs online that someone might review some time in Q3 2020.

Won't be spending money or buying anything for the next 6 weeks at least.

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Shipping companies have been canceling crew changes. It looks like mine may have just done the same two days before I was due to head back to the ship. That would be at least 30 days. That will be crushing. 30 days off the ship is equivalent to over 2 months out of a paycheck. That is plus the 2 weeks since my last paycheck. I'm so fucking irate right now I could spit. Also see my last post where my wife lost her job at the restaurant; we're now in a nice pickle.

THIS IRRATIONAL NONSENSE NEEDS TO STOP NOW.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Shipping companies have been canceling crew changes. It looks like mine may have just done the same two days before I was due to head back to the ship. That would be at least 30 days. That will be crushing. 30 days off the ship is equivalent to over 2 months out of a paycheck. That is plus the 2 weeks since my last paycheck. I'm so fucking irate right now I could spit. Also see my last post where my wife lost her job at the restaurant; we're now in a nice pickle.

THIS IRRATIONAL NONSENSE NEEDS TO STOP NOW.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's really killing the yacht industry here. I lost 16 full days Captaining out of the next 30, another 4 days the end of April got delayed until end of June (hopefully), A 2-3 week trip in June delayed till end of August (hopefully, based on previous one)…..I have another 2 week trip May 12th that still stands, but it too most likely will cancel......Lost 80% of my business the next 3-4 months in 3 phone calls......have been having scraps pop up...… picked up a day for a freighter loading on Dockwise Yacht Transport tomorrow.....etc.....but nothing substantial, cannot even take a yacht anywhere out of the country because can't clear customs and fuel (let alone even buy groceries for a trip), not that any owner has even asked.

In Dade County (Miami) they closed ALL boating, boat ramps, working on boats/yachts, marinas, etc. for a month. Owners can't even take their own yacht out of the slip.

Yet here in Broward County (Fort Lauderdale), they see the yachting industry as an essential business and all of the above are open. Tons of people using their boats every day, but small boats 35'<. But, nobody works on those except the occasional outboard mechanic.

Hang in there, this too shall (hopefully) pass. Sorry to hear about the double whammy.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jimmy.

I was praying the insanity would hold out until at least I got onboard, but of course the asshats in charge made the predictable decision. It could not possibly be the worst timing. I'm talking almost the very day before crew change. I'm so angry I can barely contain it.

I hope you are able to come out of this ahead somehow.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
No impact for us so far. I'm a 911 dispatcher and my wife works for DSS. She's swamped and we're working overtime as much as we can handle to cover for staffing shortages.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
None so far for me. I’m a salaried prosecutor and my wife is a salaried health care manager. Even though the courts have all but shut down, there are still essential functions to perform.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Had a single job that payed close to $1k in pesos back in 2017.
Since the economic situayion of my country and my client company sucks I accepted not to increase my fees a year ago.
That means that while everything else went up 60~80%, my income remained the same in pesos.
Stuck to the job because I won't find another at my age but was really close to send everybody to go screw themselves. Not fan of non technical bullshit. The job was part of my mental sanity.

Now I'm forced to leave that behind, willing or not. For what it's worth, I should not return to it. It put me close to my sister's clinic twice a week. Also a most depressing activity that sistematically broke my heart and spirit.
Now she's completely isolated but under good care as long as they can keep the virus outside. If the virus breaks in, they'll drop like flies and will all die faster than they can bag them and tag them. It's passive care clinic.

This is a life changing experience for my wife and me. Her parents are in the 80's, dependant and in a rough area. Almost a shanty town.

Talk about an unexpected SHTF scenario.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
For months we’ve been deploying a new VDI grid with full, secure remote access.

We saw this bitch coming, all staff can work from home.

Rotate shifts on prem to monitor infrastructure.

No impact except 401 investments. Which I am holding steady.

‘Cest la vie

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
We are good wife works for the City Government almost 30 years. So she should be fine. We had buckled down the past 5 years and paid off all our rentals. So we should be fine there.

I’m just an ole country boy so I take care of mowing and fix’n’.

So not much trickledown here.

We have always lived cheap, never once have fought over money. Being on the same page about finances does make married life easier for sure.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF is an online healthcare provider. She has had to put in long hours under great urgency to cover the flood of people needing help. She is tired. I’m a business owner with no tangible impact so far. If employees begin dropping out of production, things could get stressful. Economically we will have no negative consequences .

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29608 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Things are up in the air here. I’m medically retired and receive just enough to cover my mortgage. I can’t draw from my retirement 401 until I reach retirement age 55-so five more years.

Mrs. Mike is gainfully employed and is in the food distribution business and is deemed exempt. She’s been working from home.

Our personal 401k s have taken a beating, but we are in it for the long haul and have several years before we will foresee dipping into those.

No panic, our money guy called us last week and we told him just that and we heard him sigh and relax.

We have about ten months of cash saved up in bank to cover our expenditures if she were to be let go. So we are not worried.

My SIL and BIL own a restaurant in Hendersonville NC and they layed off everyone yesterday and locked the doors. The town is too small to support take out gourmet food. They have no savings and basically live hand to mouth. They have two teenagers...I feel for them but they have constantly rebuffed our philosophy on saving money for a rainy day. I guess they will figure out you can’t eat that motorcycle,new truck,new car,new van..

My mom n dad shut down their business in Dec of last year, dad is now bored and mom told me he went to help out another plumber well guy in town...i guess to keep busy, cause he works for fun nd has no hobbies....they have money and are not worried.

My big kid still lives in eastern NC and they will shut down barbers/salons on Wed. He has no savings...my mom holds his mortgage and she will let him defer the payments, but he has auto and house insurance due at the end of this month...guess I’ll be writing him a check.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
401k only. I work in emergency medicine so I will be working more hours then normal for the next few months and will make more money. I fully expect to be working 12-14 hours a day 6-7 days a week when the shit really hits the fan. Currently we are in the calm before the storm. Steady cases of positive COVID patients but soon all the asymptotic people will start getting sick and the flood gates will open. My ER group staffs 10 ER’s down here and it’s hard getting an ICU bed most days even without COVID. It’s going to get Interesting.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jarcher
posted Hide Post
I'm a software guy who now wishes I had stayed in the Army, I would be retired with a nice pension now.

Lost my contract, and no one is starting new projects right now. As a "gig economy" contractor I have no W2 pay, so no unemployment insurance, no benefits of any type and I'm technically a small business but with no employees so none of the government help I see discussed on the news is going to help people like me. That was my choice though.

Still have to make sure I pay my health insurance and mortgage as I eat through my savings, like everyone else who lost their job. At least I have the savings, and as this thread shows I'm not alone. Others have it much worse. I know some women who are young single moms, who waitress and tend bar, and they are out of work. A friend of mine was just diagnosed with lung cancer and has surgery Thursday. And then there are the people who are actually seriously ill trying to breath.

I try not to turn the news on but can't help it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jarcher,

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797

Posts: 2106 | Location: Charleston, SC US | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife & I are both retired & live out in the sticks, so nothing much has changed for us. We're not so old that we don't remember the hardships of what it was like missing just one pay check.

Thankfully our kids all have jobs in healthcare or other fields that most likely won't shut down, but I feel for other young families.

I can't help but think that if we'd quartantine Democratic Congress Critters, and the media, both physically & electronically, we'd get through this with less loss of life, less loss of jobs, and alot less stress. But then there's the Constitution.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
On the other side staying out of restaurants and not attending annual training conferences will be a positive at the end of the year.

Yep. I'm *actually* losing weight without the 1x or 2x a week take-out food. Spending is unchanged. My finger hovered over the Netflix plan button, but I cancelled out and did not increase dvd's per month. Sticking with free audio content from the library. No major impact, working a bit from home. Spending very little. Small salary continues so far, no side jobs at this time. It's good practice for retirement and seems to be OK for now.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Reported to new job today. It's ran by two complete assholes and all they do is scream at me.

This was my ride into work yesterday. I've never see so few cars on the road at rush hour, less than a rainy Sunday, far less.

Taking today and Friday off since no work is scheduled, probably going to have boss move my one job for Thursday to some other time, then just take all next week off (no work scheduled anyways).
People who don't believe in the coronavirus or think it's just the flu are pissing me off. I could probably get 12-15 hours a week right now, but my customers refuse to observe 6' rule and can't keep from touching my stuff. I work in people's bathrooms, bedrooms, and kitchens mostly, they can be bothered to keep their houses neat, let alone clean or disinfected. Not going to risk getting this shit for 1/4 (or less) pay. Retail work is all shut down 100% nothing is open. I wish I could go do those jobs in empty stores, no one to let me in though.

Yesterday was the end of our pay period. Fridays check will be for 33 hours, which is not horrible, but way less than the 45+ I average. I get no sick time and only five days a year of vacation with no carry over, so I can use my 10hrs or so acured at some point. Not likely to be able to afford a vacation this year anyways.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I find one downside for me is that I have more time to look online for things I could use but don't really need. For example, my riding mower has been trouble to start over the last year. Last summer I replaced the battery and the solenoid. Battery was due, solenoid was a "maybe that is why the starter doesn't want to crank" and idea my brother suggested. So today I ordered a new starter ($106) that I can install. Is it worth it to put money into a 2002 mower?

My wife is a teacher and working from home so full paycheck for her. I'm a substitute and now am collecting unemployment, about 2/3 of my take-home pay so we are not hurting so much with the pay right now. Come summer her pay stops and I won't get unemployment as I don't normally work the summer months. So we will fell it come mid-June.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have 25 hours of overtime this pay period and it will be over 35 before Saturday.

The hospitals are in panic with coronavirus patients. I am producing thousands of communicable disease precaution indicators for the wards being converted. There are dozens of elevators per hospital being converted to virus patient transport only.

My department is sequestered from the rest of the company now, but my guys are enjoying the extra work.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In software security startup as a post sale account management person. Revenue for the fiscal year is already projected to be 20% lower. Bonuses are tied to individual and team performance, so that’s gonna suck. New headcount has been trimmed from 11 to 2. Personally, I’ll be happy with a job at the end of the year with half my targeted bonus.

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post