SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I am curious, what is your job, how is it affected, how will your pay be affected? Both immediately, in what we have seen over the last week, and the future, what we will see over the next month and year? Whether you are already laid off, or you are a police officer or medical professional and you are working more overtime than you can count.

I am an independent sales rep in the outdoor, run and cycling industry. I sell products for manufacturers at wholesale to retailers who then sell those products to consumers. My pay is based on a percentage of the overall wholesale sales. I receive a 1099 from each company, so I am not an employee of anyone. Essentially I am a small businessman.

My retailers are mostly mom and pop shops and range from just a few people and $500K in annual sales to larger operations with 30 employees and $10M in annual sales. I do also service REI locations, but in Florida there are only two of those.

Since my pay is directly tied to shipments to retailers, the hit to my pocketbook is going to be enormous. I am fortunate in FL so far that we do not have a shelter in place order, so while retailer traffic is way down, there is at least still some retailer traffic. However, because FL is a service based economy, many people who would be spending money are already unemployed and out of money.

I am hopeful that if these restrictions are lifted on April 1st (please Disney and Universal, please re-open), most of my retailers will survive, and therefore I will survive. If this drags on into late May, some of my retailers will go out of business and I am guessing a 50% drop in income for 2020 compared to 2019. If it drags on into the summer, I think I will be lucky to make it through with a 75% reduction in income.

I am somewhat lucky, we have a mortgage and two car payments, but no other debt. I have some money in the bank, so we can ride out this downfall for a little bit, but how long is the question.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
No impact so far. Wife works for a hospital network in coding/charging. I just started a management job at a large retailer and so far our sales are keeping up with projections. Our only debt is her car payment. We garden, can and do moderate level prepping. Cash on hand is enough to carry us for quite some time and we both have stellar credit.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
personal economic impact
Might be a wee too much info to put out over the public Internet, no?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The only hit for me so far is my 401k. I'm in IT for a seven hospital network, and we're working from home.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
`A couple of classes cancelled, otherwise nothing drastic yet. On the other side staying out of restaurants and not attending annual training conferences will be a positive at the end of the year.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
We're under contract to purchase a house, closing isn't until June. Haven't locked in a rate yet. Our initial rate was 3.25%, who knows what it will be in another month or so.

That and we can't list my house until we close on the new house. The market was strong in this area, kind of hoping it doesn't fall off much in the next couple of months.

As far as jobs, we should be good. Girlfriend's job is definitely solid, mine slightly less solid but I'm not worried about it going anywhere.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
personal economic impact

Valid question and worth discussing. Folks can choose how much they want to share.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
I work in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing and Testing in a contract organization. We actually produce and test Pharmaceutical products for the larger manufacturers. Because of the nature of my work, we are considered to be essential business and not shutdown due to the state of emergency.

My company makes advanced therapeutics for treating cancer and other disease processes. We then test the produced materials according to US, EU, and other regulatory requirements before the materials can be used in clinical trials.

Mike (Molecular Biologist and Immunologist)

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2078 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Personally I am good. As long as the U.S. begins to open for business again by June than I expect I will weather this pretty well.

Girlfriend is in a different boat. She's a hairdresser and was shutdown yesterday. No chance her employers will assist with any income so she's having a tough go at it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Trying to sell a house. It's very slow going, despite the ~3.25% interest rates and being like the 3rd fastest growing area in the country with a massive demand for housing. We had an open house last weekend, and a whopping 2 people stopped by, one of whom was a friend of ours. Most of the other open houses in the area had cancelled altogether.

(So I guess you can say that bank interest rates very low, but buyer interest is also very low for the time being.)

For comparison, just prior to all this a couple weeks ago, two of our immediate neighbors had offers on their basically identical houses within 4 and 6 days of listing, respectively.

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I already work from home, so no change there. My 401k; however, has taken a 25% loss in the last two weeks.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I own a business of 20 people. We sell to manufacturers. Businesses are not allowing visitors. Sales have stop. Planning a mass layoff for the couple weeks we will likely be shut down. Hoping I can position things so we can startup again when it blows over. There is talk about the government helping with payroll but I'm not sure borrowing money with an unsure future is a good idea.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Let's just say I'm fucked. Wife has a job she can do from home and has been super successful recently, so between her income, savings, and very low debt (one car and house), we will survive. I'm mid kitchen remodel, so that will be put on hold for a while, been without a kitchen for seven months already, what's another seven months or however long.

I won't lose my house or go bankrupt, but it's going to hurt, a lot. All malls and stores are closed, I do 40% of my work in them. People are also canceling appointments left and right.

I will never forget the year 2020.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very little, retired, pension sufficient. 401k took a hit, just got to ride it out.

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Retired. Retirement account has taken a hit, but there had already been enough moved into cash such that the investments that took the hit won't need to be touched for at least a year. If the recovery doesn't start in 3-4 months we'll reduce our monthly disbursement to stretch it out a bit longer. So, financially, no immediate impact.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Grocery deliveries, doing just fine. Delivery routes are up about %30 for the last 3 weeks, 3000 miles or there abouts a week. Breaking every common sense self quarantine rule they can come up with seems like a job description.

I’ll catch this shit sure as hell. All the xtra will be eaten soon enough if that happens.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
The pharmacy is still open, and my company has said they will pay us even is we catch the bug and are out. The only part that won't be fun is when more than just a handful of pharmacists inevitably catch this, there isn't enough relief help to go around and hours will eventually end up shortened.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We're also retired and I flipped our 401K from stocks to cash before the blood letting occurred. We're very fortunate.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extremely busy; still on a few days off, then training for a week, then back in the field, operating in what is now all COVID-19 Class III areas (infectious, lockdown, yada, yada). We're very active in and out of China, Europe, Middle East, Southwest Asia, Africa, South America, Asia, Southeast Asia. There's been some resistance among the troops, and the big boss said we're welcome to take a leave of absence or use whatever sick leave...but otherwise everyone works. If you want to get paid, you go. So, we go.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
personal economic impact

That's an ironic CUT you have for such a skittish disposition.

My 401k took a beating like everyone else's did. My business sells tooling to CNC machine shops (carbide end mills, drills, abrasives, etc) and so far it's been quieter than normal and for the month we are down about 20% in sales. Talking to my customers it seems that most have put a hold on spending for a few weeks to see how this all turns out.
I'm hopeful that we will get some backlash when shops run dry on tooling and finally have to restock to keep production going and this just turns out to be a little dip by the end of the year.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post