SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Over the last few days I have went through our household budget and made some cuts. Monthly savings are below.

$100 - Let the lawn guy go. He's been my lawn guy for over 10 years, and I HATE lawn work, but my F-I-L had a mower just sitting there, so I am going to do it.

$300 - Let the cleaning lady go. We just hired her 6 weeks ago. She is fantastic at cleaning. We hated to do it, she is a single mother.

$100 - Changed the cable and internet plan.

$140 - Canceled the Hand and Stone (massage) membership for my wife and I. Was $100 per month, plus $40 in tips each month.

$35 - Canceled our Weight Watchers membership. My wife and I like their app to track our meals.

$25 - Canceled wife's gym membership. She's not a big gym person anyway.

$25 - Canceled ADT monitoring for the alarm system.

And just like that, it trickles down.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We saved a bunch by switching to eating at home Big Grin

Seriously though, we are good for a few months if things really turned to shit

Still trying to talk the wife into not having a home phone and dropping Direct TV

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Not so economical but more biological.
It's killing me not going to the gym.
Gonna have to go old school workouts and I hate doing them.
Harder to isolate muscles but still doable.
Eek

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
We saved a bunch by switching to eating at home Big Grin

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, we did that too. But I do not have that budgeted, we just did it when we wanted, so I am not sure of the exact savings, but I suppose it will be significant.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Not too much impact for us. Old enough we just paid off the house, and all vehicles are paid for. Hubby still is working, and I just got told to work from home, next week only for now, since most of what I do is computer based anyway.
Got food, supplies, should be good.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
IRS has extended tax day to July 15, so if you owe, this might be helpful for you.

quote:

Tax Day now July 15: Treasury, IRS extend filing deadline and federal tax payments regardless of amount owed

IR-2020-58, March 21, 2020

WASHINGTON — The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced today that the federal income tax filing due date is automatically extended from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020.

Taxpayers can also defer federal income tax payments due on April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020, without penalties and interest, regardless of the amount owed. This deferment applies to all taxpayers, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations and other non-corporate tax filers as well as those who pay self-employment tax.

Taxpayers do not need to file any additional forms or call the IRS to qualify for this automatic federal tax filing and payment relief. Individual taxpayers who need additional time to file beyond the July 15 deadline, can request a filing extension by filing Form 4868 through their tax professional, tax software or using the Free File link on IRS.gov. Businesses who need additional time must file Form 7004.

The IRS urges taxpayers who are due a refund to file as soon as possible. Most tax refunds are still being issued within 21 days.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/t...dless-of-amount-owed

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My business is closed, due to Wolfe's edict (f... him!) and my wife and I will be living off our saving for a while. We will see what happens...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1897 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
I work for a Utility company, specifically power generation. We’ve been informed that in the event of a outbreak in our area we will be onsite 24hrs a day for 14 days then off for 14 days. I’m not thrilled with leaving my wife and kids alone for that long but it could be much worse. My wife’s job is solid and will be working from home for the foreseeable future.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Retired but work part time. Too early to tell yet. Unnecessary spending has been curtailed. Looking for a small getaway cottage up north has been put on hold indefinitely.

UPDATE........................

1-2 punch on Monday. Laid off at least three weeks and probably more. My supervisor texted me that morning that I was to work the shop (motorcycle dealer) counter on Tuesday, this was at 9 A.M.

Governor's order was announced at 11 A.M. By 4 P.M. I was laid off, they are keeping the full time people working which I agree with.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shovelhead,

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Our stocks are down, but our spending is down as well.

Maybe if we have massive inflation our mortgage will be cheaper in terms of real dollars.

Full, long-term impact unknown.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
If I lost my part time gig I would welcome the extra time off. At 77 years old with two pensions and two social security checks, and an IRA; the hit (impact) of the shut down is nothing but a bump in the road.

IF laid off I probably wouldn't go back to my part time gig if called to return---I would become fully retired if I enjoyed the extra time off

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No impact job-wise since I have worked from home for 12+ years unless traveling. All travel has been shutdown without personal approval of division VP.

Work continues but supply chain is starting to become a big issue. Trying to sell a house right now and that is a real PITA. We still have showing requests but I am thinking it may be time to pull the listing.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Work wise, still busy, but expect that to change if this goes on for a few more weeks+.

This did cost me a home refi down to 2.75%...about 10 days ago we were within ~a day of closing but they started 'revising' multiple times and then they decided not to complete it. Now rates are up around 3.5%+. Maybe part of the fallout of this will be even lower rates...

Had been planning on using $$ from tax refund + skipping 2 mortgage payments for other things...so that plan imploded.

Tensions are already starting to build over things like child care and unemployment benefits...going to get interesting.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Not so economical but more biological.
It's killing me not going to the gym.
Gonna have to go old school workouts and I hate doing them.
Harder to isolate muscles but still doable.
Eek

I did an old school leg workout yesterday from home and I could barely get out of bed this morning. Big Grin
Sometimes changing things up is good.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I got to figure out a way to remember y'all in my prayer's.

1. Get a Sharpie. A standard tip is sufficient.
2. Use the Sharpie to write "Pray for SIGforum members" in backward characters on your forehead.
3. Note this message in the bathroom mirror when brushing your teeth before bed.
4. Pray for SIGforum members.
5. Get into bed.
6. Go to sleep.
Smile

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Earlier I said very little. That was true at the time, but this week isn't looking good. My shop may even go to reduced hours/by appointment.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Well... apparently the IRS isn't scared of the Virus!

Monday I got a "random audit" notice with 4 days to respond and make an appointment for a face to face... for my 2017 return!!! How on earth can that be considered essential?

I have only been to town 3 or 4 times in 6 weeks... I'm in a county with zero known cases... and the auditor is from the county with the most cases, and only deaths, in the state. Roll Eyes

Yes, (cough) I (cough) need to (cough) make an appointment. (cough)(cough)(cough)(cough). Why yes I (cough) I am sick, thanks for asking... (cough)(cough) Now about that face to face meeting? (cough)(cough)

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I retired in January so we are OK for now. Still adjusting to living on fixed income. We like travelling so that will cut expenses in the short run. I did take all of my IRA stocks to cash as soon as the DJIA dropped below the 27000 mark. That was a fortuitous call on my part! My broker thought it was a bad idea...I disagreed.

West German Sig P220, P6, P226, BDA

Posts: 89 | Location: NE Ohio Willoughby | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Wife was laid off from the restaurant of course, and we just found out today that she is not eligible for unemployment because she hasn't worked a full year straight the previous year. She was pregnant last year.

But, tough shit is the word. That's a good chunk of income that we were counting on. Believe it or not, servers in Park City make very good money. My wife during the peak season can average anywhere from $300-$500 in tips a night. Well, gone.

That money was to go to the little one's schooling.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sig2340, w/ my dislexia, ,trying to write on my forehead, it will turn out looking like hyroglyphics done on a spyrograph.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post