SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19? Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
After a horrible 2019, due to an ER visit and major car repairs, both out of pocket, was hoping 2020 would be better.
Clawing my way back to financial comfort, and seeing light at the end of the tunnel. Now dealing with the process
of my landlord putting my apartment up for sale, and a job in steel fabrication that has been unusually slow for several
months. My boss stated that he has prepared to "weather the storm" but we've had a bare minimum workload since about
September. I'm so grateful to have not been laid off, or let go. But, I worry.

Mom (bless her heart, and not in the "southern sense", no offense) has said I'm welcome to stay at her house.
It's an offer I appreciate, but I'm torn, as she's 67, and I don't want to potentially infect her at some point. On the
other hand, she lives in a neighborhood in Milwaukee that, if people go beyond panic buying to full out panic, I need to
be there to defend her.

My current situation is like an algebra equation, and I'm not a math whiz.

I've never counted pennies, or contemplated scenarios harder than now.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I’m in logistics and we are rockin. Long as truck drivers and train engineers don’t get shut down or quarantined I should be in good shape. I’m counting my blessings. We’ve shipped A LOT of toilet paper recently. :-)

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short term- Im good.
*Probably* in the near future, my Dept is going 12 Hr shifts and days off canceled. So Ill be making overtime until I get sick. Don't know for how long.
Money Situation is good right now, and the wife is in desperate need of a new car, and now it the time to buy. She's wanting a Toyota, just waiting to see what the finance rates for Toyota are.
My buddy and I are looking at the boating industry. I work for "Tow-Boat U.S." for a side-job, Marine towing and salvage. We took a hit last year. Not a lot of people on the water. This year, we're expecting even less unless the market and overall economy bounces back, and people have "play money" to toss at a boat.

Mid Term, I'm ok.
Long term... Man, I hope the market bounces back!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
All in all we are good. I can work from home. She works in dental specialties, so their workload is almost nothing, but they haven't sent her home yet. They might temporarily move her to another department, or give her some things to do from home. We had planned our wedding for May 2nd but now all of that will postponed until fall. Spent a quite a bit of money on invites and postage. My 92 year old aunt is in a nursing home and is confided to her room so right now she is my biggest concern.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lost some money in the stock market but the bonds and gold are holding up so far. With Trump announcing yesterday a possible treatment for the corvid 19 the market may rebound some, guess I’ll just hold on, and stop watching the MSM wonks all day.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We are okay personally but our business is not. We own a pet store. The supply chain is wrecked. It's harder every day to keep the doors open. We expect the state we deem us non-essential and close shut us down at some point in the near future. We are currently focused on curbside pick up and home delivery.

My wife and I are well stocked and are staying home. Our younger managers are running things at the store.

I was scheduled for spinal fusion in early April. I'm sure that will be postponed.

Our small mountain town relies on tourism, especially our bars , breweries and restaurants, all now closed. It's a bloodbath here.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Luckily the wife and I have no impact for work.

However our daycare is still billing us even though they are closed. They said they are still paying the "teachers" and they will be doing online based continuing education. Its nice they are getting a paid vacation and now most likely getting some extra money from the govt stimulus. Mad

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
401k took a big hit but we will make.
Hey this is AMERICA.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
We expect the state we deem us non-essential and close shut us down at some point in the near future.

WTF?!? I would deem people feeding their pets to be pretty damn essential.

I know it's not in the grocery, gas, medical or pharmacy category, but I have a feeling many pet owners would argue that feeding their pets is more important than putting gas in their car.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
However our daycare is still billing us even though they are closed. Mad

Talking with a friend on Wednesday, she told me the same. She said this week is fine since it was supposed to be spring break and her child was not scheduled to be there anyway, but she will not be paying them after that.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Let's just say I'm fucked.

If you are interested in residential electrical work, I sent you an email.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
However our daycare is still billing us even though they are closed. They said they are still paying the "teachers" and they will be doing online based continuing education. Its nice they are getting a paid vacation and now most likely getting some extra money from the govt stimulus. Mad

I don't know about your daycare, but my wife is a high school teacher, and they're doing online classes. She's still working her ass off, and most definitely is not on a "paid vacation".

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
We expect the state we deem us non-essential and close shut us down at some point in the near future.

WTF?!? I would deem people feeding their pets to be pretty damn essential.

I know it's not in the grocery, gas, medical or pharmacy category, but I have a feeling many pet owners would argue that feeding their pets is more important than putting gas in their car.

Our trade organizations and distributors are lobbying hard for this. Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

Maine deemed pet food stores essential along with grocery, drug and gas stations.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I also reached out to our Congress critter. We really do need to keep food rolling.

We are responsible for feeding our community’s working K9’s... active and retired. They must have food.

We are following CDC guidelines, relentless disinfecting and cleaning, which we have always done anyway, limiting how many are in the store, pushing home delivery and curbside pickup.

We are only re-stocking things deemed to be life sustaining for pets... food and supplements primarily. We chopped prices for everything else to help us and our customers.

We are day to day like everyone else.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Nothing yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I don't know about your daycare, but my wife is a high school teacher, and they're doing online classes. She's still working her ass off, and most definitely is not on a "paid vacation".

Uhhh, it's a DAYcare....We're talking infants and toddlers! Those 'students' are NOT capable of doing 'online classes', so the teachers aren't teaching anything, nor changing diapers, and no story time, snack time, nap time, or play time either! They're doing online 'continuing education' classes for their own professional development. While it's not quite a 'paid vacation' it's pretty damn close, and it's DEFINITELY Not in the 'working they're asses off' category! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Luckily the wife and I have no impact for work.

I can understand their position on still charging, show up or not when the facility is open. They all operate that way. But if they are closed the customer has no choice in the matter and daycare's shouldn't get special treatment and insulation form financial liability. I usually get a hair cut on the first Tuesday of each month. If they are closed I can't (and wouldn't) go and I don't expect to receive a bill form them.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
More work than ever, most of my 401k is holding strong. The offside is being exposed to around a thousand people a day in a hot spot. Many of them foreigners.

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Well, my wife just received notice that she gets to stay home for two weeks without pay. It’s a new job and she’s on the fence about liking it anyway.

My company has all the office staff working from home. I kinda do that anyway so no big deal for me. Since we are building housing in several communities, our field staff is still working on site.

Other than that, our 401s are taking a beating so retirement just got pushed back a number of years.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if I wasn't depressed before, this thread will get me there. I will be spending $140.00 less in gas and meals and tips per month, because 9 of our 12 restaurant's are shut the hell down. I got to figure out a way to remember y'all in my prayer's.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post