SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your personal economic impact of the shutdown due to COVID-19? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m currently assigned as a violent crime detective working gun cases on the state and federal level.

Cool, I didn't know that.

OK, we're retired. Still doing great. I do have a car payment on the 4 YO jeep we bought in 2016. But I never see the payment, my SS is direct deposited and the car payment is just taken out. Have a minor utility payment each month that I've been complaining about that will soon go way down, as it does every spring and fall. So my checking account just grows by about a grand a month. Maybe two if uncle sugar gives me an extra because he's so nice.

But then maybe not... wife just showed me a picture of Trump holding a sign. It says everyone gets the $1K except jeep owners. We know how you'll spend it! Smile

We're old and conservative. Over the last 10 years I've pretty much depleted my IRA and 401k. On purpose. They weren't my primary retirement vehicle. I hate paying taxes. I don't spend much, no need to. I don't have tatoos, don't go to music festivals, or on cruise ships. Can't even go out to eat. I just sit and watch the river go by, or read the sigforum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rburg,

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Thanks rburg, I deleted my post while you were posting because I felt bad that so many people are hurting because of this and I’m probably going to get OT for it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I work a retail job. We're down until April 7th, or however long this thing lasts. We get 5 days paid leave. Then we can use vacation or sick time, or unpaid leave. I have a ton of vacation time to use up, as I was close to maxing out, so that'll help. I live in a house that's paid for. I still have medical. I should be fine, until I'm not.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to the time off. I've got a ton of stuff to clean up around the house. Like you might've seen in some memes, I'm a Gen-Xer latchkey kid, so I'm used to puttering around on my own inside.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I'm semi-retired but work 4 days a week as a substitute teacher. For me, I can lose between $1100 to $1500 a month. Not life changing but it does help with the expenses. I have applied for unemployment but I don't know if I will receive. I can't collect it when not working during the summer break but this may be looked at differently.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I plan financial seppuku in three weeks.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Since I am retired and on disability, it really hasn't affected me like many of you! The only significant change is that my daughter is now stuck at home from college, very possibly for the remainder of her junior year (and she's NOT happy about it!!!).

The difference THAT makes is an increase in grocery costs, when I can find anything in stock, and a slight increase in utilities consumption at home.

My wife is also having to work from home now, so another level of increase to eating at home...

Edit to add: Forgot to mention that my wife's 401K has also lost over $10K since this thing hit, and yesterday she stopped all future contributions until the market rebounds!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4551 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I am out of work, but we had planned for a three week down time before hand, so we are good for a few weeks.

I was supposed to report to North Dakota for a new job with Uncle Sam but with everything that is going on I am requesting a new start date.

There is no way I am going to leave my family here in Durham to travel 30 hours into uncertainty.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
alrighty then

now is the time to panic

I went grocery shopping...I need a few things, not stockpiling...

not a single can of soup on the shelves
not a single box of pasta to be had
no paper towels
no toilet paper
no napkins

however I didn't need any of those things

however, and here's where the panic sets in

I went to buy coffee mate and they were all out of French Vanilla

they had coconut creme, hazelnut and something called gluten free low fat diet sweet Irish creme

holy shit show

I have about 3 days worth of coffee mate left and then things get serious

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Not personal to me, but an anecdote about what’s going on out there with contractors and other businesses:

I’ve been trying to get two large trees trimmed for months now, the tree guy is a very good well-known company around here and he’s been booked out for months and months, Finally two weeks ago I got him here to walk the property and show him what I wanted done.

He says “I MAY be able to get you in at the end of April”, and I agreed. This past Tuesday I get an email from him: “we are coming tomorrow”.

That’s fine, we have the money set aside for it, he shows up with his entire crew of like 10 guys and five trucks and other equipment and knocks it out in no time.

Makes you wonder how many people are in a panic canceling all sorts of work and it’s affecting contractors and other businesses like him? Frown

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks rburg, I deleted my post while you were posting because I felt bad that so many people are hurting because of this and I’m probably going to get OT for it.

Jones, don't feel bad. As the economy ebbs and flows, there will always be people on both sides. It actually helps to hear that other people are doing well. It helps me have faith that the system will not fail.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Makes you wonder how many people are in a panic canceling all sorts of work and it’s affecting contractors and other businesses like him? Frown

A LOT! My good friend runs a large general construction firm, $100M plus per year in revenue. He said they have already taken a hit.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

Jones, don't feel bad. As the economy ebbs and flows, there will always be people on both sides. It actually helps to hear that other people are doing well. It helps me have faith that the system will not fail.

Alright. The meat and potatoes of my deleted post is that is my day job. Rumors are circulating that investigations may get transferred to patrol to beef up their numbers if any one of the plethora of rumors circulating were to come true.

But, as far as I know that’s the case with every local, state and federal agency. One of the detectives I work with is state police. He expects to back on the road soon if any of this is true. Likely, the feds I work with will be there as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'm struggling to get my staff enough hours to work. So frustrated by my inability to do more for my people.

I really don't want to lay anyone off. I have a good team and the beginning of March was really looking nice in a fiscal sense.

I pray we return to normal soon.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rumors are circulating that investigations may get transferred to patrol to beef up their numbers if any one of the plethora of rumors circulating were to come true.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Retired. Retirement account has taken a hit, but there had already been enough moved into cash such that the investments that took the hit won't need to be touched for at least a year. If the recovery doesn't start in 3-4 months we'll reduce our monthly disbursement to stretch it out a bit longer. So, financially, no immediate impact.

We are in exactly the same position. The money I have in stocks and Stock based mutual funds really need not be touched for several years if all goes well. Personal impact is staying at home. I heretofore had gone to the gym at least 5 days a week... usually 2 hours worth strength/cardio. I always walked out feeling much better then when I walked in. I miss that as it not only made me feel good and keep weight off, it broke up the day and gave me a bit of out of the house socializing. I try to do a bit of exercise at home but I just can't get into that.

As I'm sure everyone else has experienced, the shortages at the stores is stupid and really pisses me off. There is no shortage of TP. People are shitting at the same rate as pre Covid 19, and will shit the same post covid 19. Just stop it stupid people. If you are down to your last two - three rolls of TP, buy more. If you have 12 roles, leave it for the next guy. I was lucky enough to go the the local WalMart Market just as they were stocking the shelves. I saw a pallet of TP and asked the stocking girl if I could have a 12 pack which she gave me and asked if I'd like to have two. Told here no, one was plenty.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
...French Vanilla...

To make an approximation of French Vanilla COffeemate:

Add to one (1) 8 oz bottle of regular Coffeemate
1 vanilla bean scraped and minced super fine
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon of natural caramel flavor
1/8 teaspoon of natural nutmeg extract

Mix well and allow to sit in the refrigerator overnight. Adjust liquid flavoring to personal taste.

A better alternative because Coffeemate is the work of Satan:

Add to one (1) 8 oz carton of heavy cream
1 vanilla bean scraped and minced super fine
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of natural caramel flavor
1/4 teaspoon of natural nutmeg extract

Mix well and allow to sit in the refrigerator overnight. Adjust liquid flavoring to personal taste.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Not a huge deal but I sold a small commercial property a couple years ago and financed it. Just got a note from the small business that bought it asking if we can discuss the possibility of them deferring their mortgage payment for 2-3 months through this unstable business environment. I suppose I should, I really feel for small business's right now.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This plumbers phone has virtually went dead, luckily I have a remodel job that I can spend time at.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
^^^

awesome - thanks

appreciate it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to say, since my pension plan has probably taken a stock market hit.
So far, they have said nothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post