SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oven broiler help, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oven broiler help, please Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
2004 Whirlpool Model GR450LXHQ2 range. Broiler element is non-functioning. My multi-meter reads around 21-25 ohms on the element contacts. The question is: do I need a new element or is the trouble bigger (i.e. $$$)? The stove has been and is working otherwise. Thanks, all

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
That is about the expected ohm reading on your element. If the element is failed, you would likely read infinite resistance regardless.

This range features a double line break relay. If the bake element works, then you are concentrating on the broil relay on the electronic oven control (EOC). If you are comfortable making checks with the range energized (plugged in) then you can check for line voltage (nominally 240 v) at the broil element terminals at the back of the range. This check is made with the broil feature activated. I would do this with the back cover removed and the element installed. If you do not read line voltage there, you need to check at the EOC connector P2-1 (blue wire) to L2 which can be checked at the terminal block or any red wire on the infinite switches. You again do this with the broil feature turned on. You should read nominally 240 v If the answer is no to that, then you have a bad broil relay.
The EOC is no longer available for this range however it is likely you can have it rebuilt.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
As always, many thanks Brad for your “appliance whispers”! Given the age of the range, if the EOC is shot, sounds like we may be $ ahead replacing the stove. It’s been a good unit for us.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post