SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What can you tell me about Steinhart Watches?
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What can you tell me about Steinhart Watches? Login/Join 
Picture of Green Highlander
posted
I am in need of getting a new watch. When I was younger I had a Rolex Submariner that I loved. Unfortunately it was stolen and not recovered. Since then I have been using a variety of inexpensive watches. I now want to upgrade. A replacement Submariner is not in the budget. I love the Omega Seamaster but when I mentioned it to my wife, she said we are not spending that much on a watch. So I have been looking for a quality dive watch similar to the two mentioned above. I like the looks of the Steinhart Ocean 1 but am not familiar with the brand. Online reviews seem positive but I am hoping to get some feedback from the SF community.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Best place to ask would be this thread: https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...61/m/6290029643/p/81

Bunch of knowledgeable watch enthusiasts there. Smile

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's a knock off look alike (similar) of acceptable quality. It's larger at 42mm so it will wear bigger. This is good for some folks, and bad for others. I'd steer you away, but that's just me. There's so many other cool watches that aren't pretending to be a Rolex. Those are technically homage watches, but it's a ripped off design and insomuch it is a fake in my eyes, even if they don't write the Rolex name on the dial.

If you still decide to get one, my favorite is the only that looks like the old Explorer II with the orange hand.

Maybe check out a high quality Seiko. Like this as an option.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...?variant=33895793671

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
It's a knock off look alike (similar) of acceptable quality. It's larger at 42mm so it will wear bigger. This is good for some folks, and bad for others. I'd steer you away, but that's just me. There's so many other cool watches that aren't pretending to be a Rolex. Those are technically homage watches, but it's a ripped off design and insomuch it is a fake in my eyes, even if they don't write the Rolex name on the dial.

If you still decide to get one, my favorite is the only that looks like the old Explorer II with the orange hand.

Maybe check out a high quality Seiko. Like this as an option.

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...?variant=33895793671

Listen to rOgue, he knows his shit. Wink

That Seiko Prospex is an great watch for the going price.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of vic40204
posted Hide Post
Steinhart are very good watches. Swiss made automatic Higher beat rate movement Sapphire glass. The Seiko is also larger at 44mm. diam. lower beat rate movement and Hardlex mineral crystal not Sapphire.

Vic Johnson

Posts: 798 | Location: Augusta, Georgia. | Registered: February 04, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this model and am very happy with the quality. I don't think I overpaid (at the time, about $420 US)

https://www.steinhartwatches.d...ter-44-roemisch.html

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Triton model and it is an awesome watch. It is an older run but high quality and runs like a top.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Report This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with the Steinhart Ocean 1 watch. There are a lot of good inexpensive dive watches out there.
I like Seiko. I own Seiko monster watches. I have large hands so the look good on my wrist.
I own a Omega Seamaster. It is a great watch and yes they are expensive. I do not wear it when I shoot,work or anything that might damage it. I have been told that is over reacting but I do not want to take a chance.
With my Seiko I will wear it doing anything.
If your looking for reviews on different types of watches check out Watchuseek forum. A lot of great info.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vic40204:
Steinhart are very good watches. Swiss made automatic Higher beat rate movement Sapphire glass. The Seiko is also larger at 44mm. diam. lower beat rate movement and Hardlex mineral crystal not Sapphire.

A valid point. That was just one example thrown out there. There are all different sizes of course, and some have sapphire.

If one wants their watch to "look like" a Rolex, one could do worse than to buy a Steinhart. It "looks like" a Rolex. And it has a sapphire crystal. They make special editions once in a while with acrylic crystals to really get that vintage look. I'd definitely buy that over the sapphire one. You know... to complete the look. Honestly, they are cool looking.

One sold recently here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f...edition-4057577.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have had two and still own one. Good quality at reasonable prices. I wouldn't hesitate to own another Steinhart.

RMD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rduckwor,

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Report This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
I own 3, just sold a fourth one.
Ocean 1 Vintage, Ocean 1 GMT, and Ocean 1 Vintage Red.
Never had an issue with mine...
Good solid watches that keep excellent time.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far. I do not mind the homage aspect. I loved my Submariner and feel throwing up every time I think about its loss. I really like the clean look of the design.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
I have both a Steinheart Ocean One and a Roles Submariner. The Steinheart is as accurate over the eight months I have had it as my Rolex. So much for the inappropriate comments about the Steinheart.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Alternative choices if you want to save some money. Orient & Seiko are quite serviceable.
http://www.longislandwatch.com/

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Report This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keltoi:
I have both a Steinheart Ocean One and a Roles Submariner. The Steinheart is as accurate over the eight months I have had it as my Rolex. So much for the inappropriate comments about the Steinheart.

I hadn't noted anyone in this thread saying that Steinhart watches aren't accurate.

Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I've been needing a watch for quite some time, and this Steinhart Ocean 1 is really striking my fancy.

Should I fully commit to buying one, where is the best place to do so?

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of LH2
posted Hide Post
I thought Steinhart was direct order only, with no actual dealers.

Then I saw them available at Gnomon watches out of Singapore.

FWIW Gnomon is reputable, and they ship quickly, although DHL is used here in the states, which sucks.

I had a Steinhart 42 Military maybe 5 or 6 years ago. Nice watch for the money, lousy water resistance like many Steinharts.

Anyway, Steinhart has a middling reputation in the watch nut community. Not bad, but not great.

Posts: 3443 | Location: Arizona | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
They'll also do different variants on a theme like the Ocean Black DLC:

Posts: 4155 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I'm going for the Seiko motorcycle watch!

http://www.seiyajapan.com/coll...?variant=35076028359

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered the Ocean 1 Black on Monday and it is expected to ship the middle of next week. Since I can't replace my stolen Rolex, this will be a nice reminder of what I once had and what the meaning of the gift was when I received it.