SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slicing bagels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slicing bagels Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I hold them in the palm of my hand, and cut downward towards my palm... just like you're not supposed to do. lol Then when I'm half way down you start to rotate it, continuing to cut but without getting any closer to your hand. Smile

These of course are real bagels, from a bagel shop. Not some frozen atrocity. Wink

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys sound like your ready to give up your man card! I wish I had a dollar for every time I've cut my hands at work & play, no big deal.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1. Hold bagel in clean hand (edge up)
2. Find 'perfect' place to slice it down the middle or there-about.
3. Begin cutting with serrated knife, carefully, down to about the center hole.
4. Keep knife in bagel, while placing bagel on cutting board (remove had from underneath bagel).
5. Carefully finish the cut, with fingers from one hand on either side of the bagel!
6. Shmear both sides, with a nice amount of cream cheese, adorn with nova lox, onions, thinly sliced tomato and cucumber!
7. Enjoy!

Not a big fan of the 'Bagel biter', as it tends to deform and crush the bagel a little to a lot of bit.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work for a utility with over 500 employees. During a break at one of out safety meetings, I counted three people cutting a bagel towards their palm. One was our safety instructor! I gave them shit, but should have taken pictures.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Way back when, in Gaithersburg, a Greek family bought an old restaurant, served breakfast and lunch. Some dishes and quirks we take for granted were new to them. I asked for a bagel with cream cheese. They served me the whole bagel. I asked to have it sliced. It came back as two semi-circles, one cut, right across the top.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not a big fan of the 'Bagel biter', as it tends to deform and crush the bagel a little to a lot of bit.

Same here. Always called it a "bagel squisher."

A serrated knife is just fine.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Way back when, in Gaithersburg, a Greek family bought an old restaurant, served breakfast and lunch. Some dishes and quirks we take for granted were new to them. I asked for a bagel with cream cheese. They served me the whole bagel. I asked to have it sliced. It came back as two semi-circles, one cut, right across the top.

Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post