SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Slicing bagels
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slicing bagels Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
How do you guys slice bagels? I lay one flat and cut it into two semicircular halves. Then I stand each half on the cut ends and slice downward along the equatorial line. I suspect most bagel aficionados would consider that the wimping-out method. Smile

But less likelihood of cutting my fingers, and all four pieces are the same size. But maybe someone has tips to share?

Hm – I just remembered that I bought a bread slicing guide last year. This one:

www.amazon.com/dp/B072HF8ZQ6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Hadn’t thought about using it for bagels until just now. It works great fo bread loaves, and stores compactly. With this, I think I could cut the bagel into two even circular haves.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
slice uncut bagels across the center into two parts with a bread knife, slowly.

However I try and make it a point not to buy unsliced bagels.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
slice uncut bagels across the center into two parts with a bread knife, slowly.

However I try and make it a point not to buy unsliced bagels.

Are they frozen too.??

Slice the bagel in half leaving two circular pieces. Simple, yes??

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bagel slicer. Throw the bagel into the contraption and then press the blade down. Done in 3 seconds.

Posts: 612 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: March 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mohel.

Think about it...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43883 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Use a Wushof Gourmet Crust Buster serrated bread knife cut down on a bagel stood on edge. Quick and clean.

https://www.amazon.com/10-Crus...sthof/dp/B001KVLQ2Y/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I bought a bread slicing guide last year. This one:

www.amazon.com/dp/B072HF8ZQ6?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
From the description in the linked Amazon web page: "4 Groove sizes allows you to slice 4 Different slices - 2.2cm, 1.7cm, 1.2cm, 0.7cm"

I suppose that would be OK in Yurrp, but here in the U.S.A. we usually don't get that much metric bread.

You'd probably have to special order it, or maybe go to one of those yuppie type fancy grocery stores. That's OK for people in places like NYC or San Francisco, but how about the folks in South Dakota, or people like Bendable in Tiny Town, Iowa?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hold it in your hand like a clam and go for it.

Bunch of wusses

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
One of my family members was an ER physician for many years. He pointed out numerous times that one of the most common injuries they saw in the ER on Sunday morning was hands cut open while slicing bagels. Thus we got a bagel slicer. Also there is a bagel knife with a blunted round point and serrated edge that somewhat reduces the possibility that you will stab yourself in the hand. If all else fails, get someone else to hold the bagel while you work the knife.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Mohel.

Think about it...

That only cuts the outer ring off. Eek

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A. Use a serrated bread knife
B. If frozen, first nuke briefly

Hey, SigMonkey!
Q. How does a Mohel circumsize a whale?
A. He sends four skin divers.
<rimshot>

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I never cut just rip off chunks and put on schmear if available.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I learned everything I know about cooking from the great one.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bassbrew
posted Hide Post
Best thing EVER!

Hoan Bagel Guillotine Slicer, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...cp_tai_5SOUAbRP4ZGJF

Posts: 4 | Registered: June 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Don't stand it on edge, lay it flat. Hold it on top and slice horizontally. You can rotate it halfway through if it makes it easier for you. This way the knife is never pointed at any part of your tender flesh and you're not trying to balance a wheel on edge.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
One of my family members was an ER physician for many years. He pointed out numerous times that one of the most common injuries they saw in the ER on Sunday morning was hands cut open while slicing bagels. Thus we got a bagel slicer. Also there is a bagel knife with a blunted round point and serrated edge that somewhat reduces the possibility that you will stab yourself in the hand. If all else fails, get someone else to hold the bagel while you work the knife.

I’ve read several reports of physicians citing numerous hand injuries caused by bagel slicing accidents. That’s one reason I use the technique described in my OP. The blade edge is never pointed towards my flesh.

I use my US-made Chicago Cutlery BT7 to slice bagels. B=Bagel, T=Tomato, 7=7” blade. (But I use a sharp smooth-edge knife for tomatoes.) The BT7 is very handy for bagels. This URL has some photos:

www.ebay.com/i/152958631102?ch...id%253D1480720037232

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Bagel biter, of course

Is there some other way?

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three ways:

1. serrated knife, bagel held in palm , cut extremely slowly, like stupid slow.

2. place bagel on counter , place a cool whip lid on top of the roll, , use bread knife to cut horizontally , through bagel.

3. fold plastic cool whip lid in half, in palm , place bagel in the lid , and cut with knife.

Key: cut slowly to avoid e.r. visit

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post